↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > New Td5 owner needs help
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Bjornxxx

Sweden 2004 Defender 110 Td5 SW Java Black
New Td5 owner needs help
Hi! New to the forum and to defenders. I bough my first 13th of July this year and I love it. It is a 2004 110 station wagon. It has 206000 km on the meter.

I have some trouble, and I will write the symptoms and what has been done (also previous) in short points as i am writing on my phone, and finally add some questions.

2014-11-11
190000 km. Serviced. Also new fuel filter head, fuel pump, crank position sensor, injector loom, injector no 1, ECU.

2015-03-04
198000 km. New glowplugs, injector no 3, air bleed valve. Cooling system tested, head gasket OK.

2016-07-13
I bought it, 203000 km. Notice that the car hasnt moved much this period before. Small diesel leak from top of tank, but has dried.

Sunday two weeks ago
I wash it in an automatic car wash (note this for later)

Monday after
I left it at the local "car cleaner" to clean inside. They also wash exterior and underneath. When i pick it up it takes 10-15 sec before starting, before started immideately.

Tuesday
Hard to start in the morning, ok rest of the day

Wednesday
Hard to start in the morning. Left it on idle when dressing kids. Ran on four cylinders when i came out again. Ok after restart and rest of the day. Cleaned out ecu-plug, small amount of oil. Charged battery. Added injector cleaner.

Thursday
See tuesday

Friday
Started right away in the morning! Thought ecu clean helped. Later on the day started to run on four cylinders. Stopped, almost impossible to start. Finally coughed on after purging. Barely came to my mechanic.

Last entire week
Mechanic found air in diesel. Found leakage on a hose connection to pump, fixed. Probably sucked in some air here on stand stills. Air bleed valve replaced. Purged a lot. Coughed out black water from exhaust. On friday decided to drive it home since mechanic were out of ideas, it starts ok, but after two minutes on idle starts to knock and run on four cylinders, hard to restart.

Decided friday to take it home. Drive on four cylinders the five km home, need to rev so it doesnt die.
Saturday.
Add diesel cleaner for bacterias etc. Purging. Cleaned the now clean ecu contact. Check injector loom, dry as a whistle. Clean maf, try without maf no difference. Cleaned sensor on intake manifold. Check oil, no coolant or diesel. Oil level dangerously close to low, fill up. Egr valve a little stuck in closed, move this a bit so it works. Wastegate checked moves good.

Still a little hard to start, little black smoke on rev, knock and four cylinders after some minutes on idle.
Today
Decide to drive to see what happens. After 50 km no problems. Fixed?!

Questions
Could it have been bad diesel in the tank and the cleaners fixed it?
Could bad egr cause this? Did not check inside yet.
Could the low oil level caused it?
If its hard to start tomorrow agin, injector washers?
Could I have purged to much? Did the cycle at least 20 times first week and five times this weekend.
Could the washers sprayed to much water in air intake causing bad running? Need to check airbox tomorrow.

Please calm me down and convince me its fixed now, and that it wont be a cracked head tomorrow Smile all tips and thoughts welcome.

Thanks.
Post #561351 4th Sep 2016 8:08pm
toastkid

United Kingdom 
Any smell of diesel on the dispstick?
Any access to decent diagnostic reader?
Post #561352 4th Sep 2016 8:14pm
Bjornxxx

Have a cold so cant smell, tried it Smile will have someone at work smell it tomorrow but level is not too high. Will monitor oil level following week.

Mechanic said four faults on ac pump, and I dont have AC so.. Otherwise dont know anyone.
Post #561367 4th Sep 2016 8:33pm
Fatboy Slim

Wales 
My best guess would be injector seals. I'd certainly just do them for peace of mind as a quick cheap fix.

You need to check your fuel pressure really, make sure you've got a good 60psi at a minimum as anything less will make them play up.
Post #561408 4th Sep 2016 9:34pm
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
Another thumbs up for changing the injector seals and washers, make sure they are genuine or OEM at the least not the cheapest ones.
Is the pump noisy? I had an aftermarket one in mine that when I took it out to take a closer look had much of the plastic gauze filter bit on the bottom near enough had 2/3rds of it with blind holes. Spent a good couple of hours with a few cups of coffee and a hot pin opening up all the holes. It's still in there 3 years later.
If you can hear bubbling and gushing from the area between the brake servo and the back corner of the engine when running the system through the fuel purge then you may suspect the fuel pressure valve.
Sorry to say that your garage does seem to be not quite "au fait" with the Td5 and it may be worth having a hunt around for someone with a bit more knowledge of the engines.
Post #561450 4th Sep 2016 11:22pm
Bjornxxx

Thanks for all the answers, I will order incector washers and ring (oem).
The pump is OEM and sounds normal, I dont have anything to compare with, but sounds fine to me and hasnt changed sound.
I will also check fuel pressure.

This morning a little hard to start-5-6 seconds and then worked properly.

How about EGR? Could it be worth blanking?

How about water in air intake after washing? I need to check today, but if water collected in the hose and the drain does not work, could it be that it gets to little air?
Post #561480 5th Sep 2016 7:06am
4RF RDS

Canada 2000 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Epsom Green
Water in the air intake would have been sucked in and cleared out by now. I suppose it is worth checking the filter element. EGR would not cause this. Always worth blanking it off though, engine just breathes better. 2010 Range Rover MkIII Autobiography Super Charged (Idris)
2003 Range Rover Mk III (Desmond FitzWilliam)
2000 Defender 110 CSW TD5 (CTX)
1992 Range Rover Classic (Lizzy)
1972 Series III 300 Tdi (Stanwood)
1967 MGB GT

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
H. L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
Post #561535 5th Sep 2016 12:18pm
Bjornxxx

Thank you all for answers.

Today I have checked that airfilter is dry. No water in the airbox. Disconnected MAF again. No difference.
I have also ordered: oil filter, centrifugal filter, oil, airfilter and fuel filter for service. Also injector loom (just in case) washers and o-rings for injectors and gasket for the rocker cover.
I plan to use a different workshop for fixing this. And let them test the injectors at the same time.

Today it took almost 30 seconds to start but runs perfectly after this. Perhaps it is a bit "harder" noise but probably because i dont have fitted the engine cover.

Question: i noticed when i hooked up the Ctek that the scale showed the digit 2 which I understood is not fully charged. Could a bad battery cause my symptoms? The starter does not sound slow at all.

Question 2: two times now I noticed that after 10-15 minutes of driving, the exhaust sound changes and becomes a little more dark, like a leak. Ive stopped and checked for leaks but its from the back. Why could this be? I have changed the middle box for a pipe, but did not make a big difference probably due to the cat. When warm it sounds more like I excpected it to after the switch.

Thankful for answers again Smile
Post #561951 6th Sep 2016 8:10pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Choked up cat maybe? Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #561989 6th Sep 2016 9:10pm
Bjornxxx

Maybe, will have to check that too I guess Smile

This morning after fully charged battery: missed to ignite first turn if the starter motor, like it was bad timing. But started in under 5 sec! Maybe need to try a new battery anyway. White cloud from exhaust after startup.
Post #562034 7th Sep 2016 5:45am
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
Get those injector seals and washers changed Thumbs Up
Post #562111 7th Sep 2016 11:25am
Bjornxxx

Hi again all. Have not found a workshop yet that wants to touch the injector washers and im not sure I dare to do it myself. Another question. Looked at the EGR today. Not so much dirt but a little oil inside. Also when i disconnected the hose in front, i discovered that it was open! The lever from the vacuum clock was in open position, i could move it towards me when standing in front of car. Is this the way its supposed to be when car is off???

Closed it, but then the car was difficult to start and idled like a bag of nuts. When i opened it again it starts, but wont idle more than a minute as usual.

Also seems like I have lost turbo boos the first minute of running.

Filled up with oil thursday, the level is not rising anything, but it seems maybe a little to "runny".
Post #563144 11th Sep 2016 4:41pm
Bjornxxx

Is this default position?
Post #563146 11th Sep 2016 4:58pm
Bjornxxx

Cant figure out to attach image from me phone, tap gallery and there it is
Post #563147 11th Sep 2016 4:58pm
dorsetsmith

Click image to enlarge
Post #563151 11th Sep 2016 5:20pm