↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > New Td5 owner needs help
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Bjornxxx

Sweden 2004 Defender 110 Td5 SW Java Black
So today it started almost immediately with almost perfect idle. Went to leave the kids. When i arrived it started to run rough again, even when i put my foot on the gas. When i parked it stopped. Took me about a minute to get it running and it was a rough km to work. When i arrived to work, some colleauges followed me out to listen. When i turn on ignition i hear some air in the pump, dissappearing after 1-2 sec. Then it started, good idle, ran for two min, then rough again.

I have done 150 km on the tank, could the pump draw air from the inside?

I will have my parts today but still not found anyone that wants to do the o-rings and washers.
Ill change what I can myself, fuel filter and injector harness until I find someone to help me with this.

Its driving me nuts Smile
Post #563264 12th Sep 2016 7:06am
Bjornxxx

Ok everybody, now I need your help! I finally dared to take apart the engine myself to change the washers, since no workshop around here wanted to touched it. All is dismantled and pretty easy actually. One injector especially looked extra dirty, and small amounts of soot has gotten past the gasket and up the injector.

What i need help with is:

How do I clean the tip of the injector? Not the actual tip as i understand i shouldnt mess with this, but the part below the copper gasket.

How do i clean inside the head? There are some dirt down where the copper gasket sits. I dont want this to fall into the cylinder.

Just hope she starts and all is OK when Im done! Need to order the oilfilter also since I only got the centrifugal one.
Post #564298 15th Sep 2016 8:45pm
dorsetsmith

this is good link for injector seal replacement Thumbs Up

http://www.discovery2.co.uk/Injector%20Seals.html
Post #564409 16th Sep 2016 9:09am
Bjornxxx

Hi all,
So tonight I put it all back together. Was a little bit worried that this wouldnt be it, since the washers didnt look too bad. Also worried when setting the injector height, because when i turned the engine over it sounded like something was leakingz
Did the purge cycle two times, foot to the floor, cranking 30 sexs, nothing. Cranked again and it started with the biggest cloud of smoke ever to come out of her! Shut her off, and tried again. Started immidiately like she didnt do for weeks. Idle is perfect too. Now I want to use her for a week before I can trust this was it, but most likely it was.
The fix was not hard at all, and my knowledge goes to changing oil, perhaps brake pads!
Now next week oil change and all filters. Then I think I will treat her with EGR blanking and de-cat after MOT this fall.
Also think I found the strange noise from the engine, a plastic bit, the cover for where the cables in the injectorloom connects, was loose inside!

Thanks all for your assist!
Post #564741 17th Sep 2016 10:45pm
Fatboy Slim

Wales 
Thumbs Up
Post #564746 17th Sep 2016 11:06pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12