↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > insurance and remaps
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
davew

England 1990 Defender 90 V8 Petrol PU Auto Rioja Red
apt100 wrote:
I started reading that thread but gave up on page 2 when the thread starter didn't realise that AF were only a broker and not the actual insurance company Shocked
When I insured mine AF offered an Axis policy and A-plan offered a Markerstudy policy for a higher premium. Went with AF.

To my mind if you use a broker, rather than insuring direct, you expect them to act as an agent for you. When you make a claim I'd expect my broker, the people who took the money and their cut at the start, to help facilitate a claim, not do their best to screw the claim up for you.

In this case Adrian Flux have pretty much tried to walk away from their obligations and have left the guy out of pocket and without a vehicle for an accident he has police witnesses for to say was not his fault. rather than trying to get their customer back into the position he was in prior to the accident they've pretty much been instrumental in preventing that from happening.

You may be happy to let a broker take their cut and leave you in the lurch but I'm not.

This is a quote from the front page of the broker's own organisation, the BIBA... (the bold bit is my highlight)

Quote:
BIBA brokers offer a range of competitive insurance policies for consumers – from motor, household and travel, to commercial, They are widely available, and you can buy some of them exclusively from a BIBA broker. With some 1,700 registered BIBA broking firms in the UK, there is a wide choice.
When you do buy you can be assured of independent, impartial and professional advice. And in the event that you have to make a claim, the broker will be there – on your side – to help. Just look for the lion logo and Member of British Insurance Brokers’ Association.

To help you navigate the maze of insurance issues, BIBA’s technical experts have put together a simple step by step guide for consumers who are looking to buy motor, home and travel insurance. Checklists and tips are included in these guides but if you do need any further insurance advice your local BIBA broker will be able to provide this to you.

And to help you make sense of the sometimes complicated language and terms that insurance companies seem so fond of, we’ve included a useful Jargon Buster section.
 http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net/
Post #555482 12th Aug 2016 12:53am
Ayrshirelandy

Scotland 
I spent ages on the phone and when they hear about mods their toes curl I think.........anyway NFU had no issue at all - not NFU Direct but the local NFU office and a really good premium. Very Happy 2015 Defender 110 XS Utility Santorini Black, sawtooth alloys, steps and so much more...........
Post #555560 12th Aug 2016 1:39pm
JJ

United Kingdom 1987 Defender 110 V8 Petrol CSW Corris Grey
I have to say if you read the thread on the VW forum the guy just hasn't got a clue how insurance works and AF seem to be very involved in trying to help so I am not quite sure why they are taking so much flak.

If you want to have a vehicle like that replaced you need an agreed valuation policy from the start not a standard one.

As a broker they can help but they can't insist on a payout from the insurer , it isn't their money.

Back on topic it does show the importance of making sure you have the right policy for your needs with all mods declared and not just the cheapest you can get.

Unless it is a soulless Eurobox then cheap all the way. HR064 Hampshire and Berkshire 4x4 Response
Post #555575 12th Aug 2016 2:38pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
couplands

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 90 Td5 HT Oslo Blue
Ayrshirelandy wrote:
I spent ages on the phone and when they hear about mods their toes curl I think.........anyway NFU had no issue at all - not NFU Direct but the local NFU office and a really good premium. Very Happy

I agree, I've had my 90 insured with NFU for years inc all mods. All for £275. Very happy with my local NFU agent.

cheers

simon
Post #555626 12th Aug 2016 7:42pm
apt100

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
JJ wrote:
I have to say if you read the thread on the VW forum the guy just hasn't got a clue how insurance works...

that was my point. AP and AF are both brokers and both will tell you the name of the actual insurance company if you ask. They might even offer you two or more different policies to choose between.
Post #555631 12th Aug 2016 8:02pm
T140

Scotland 2007 Defender 90 Td5 HT Zambezi Silver
I did realise that AF was a broker but i went with the company that the Disco 3 was insured with as i had to pay a cancellation fee but if i restarted the policy within 45 days the cancellation fee would be refunded.
Post #556164 15th Aug 2016 12:58pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
We were always with NFU but a few years ago they tripled the renewal price to over £800.
I've tried them a couple of times since but they always quote a vast premium over double everybody else so they clearly don't want us for some reason.

We are now with Henderson Taylor and both Landys are insured with an agreed value.
Which should help if ever it's needed to get a payout of the true value with no arguments.
Post #556417 16th Aug 2016 12:54pm
T140

Scotland 2007 Defender 90 Td5 HT Zambezi Silver
i stuck with Elephant as that's who the Disco 3 was with and they charged £50 cancellation fee that was refunded when the policy was restarted within 45 days, i found it odd that they would not put the policy on hold but had to cancel and restart it, but i will shop around at renewal time. nobody is perfect but being Scottish is a start
Post #556451 16th Aug 2016 3:16pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12