25%  [4]
Total Votes: 16

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
discoch1

Switzerland 2002 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Zermatt Silver
Hi Jon
I know the 902 Route Nap. I drive it once a year in summer as a conecting route for the Alps tour that I do.

In general if your tyres have good profile AT's will do and then it's down to driver tech.

This weekend, I will also be going up to the mountains to take a bunch of kid skiing as I do all winter.
Another tip is to drop the tyre pressure a bit when you know your going to be on the ice and snow. This helps
a lot.

Anyway I wish you well with the chains and hope you dont need them.

Rich
Post #48521 14th Dec 2010 5:16pm
67_6Cyl

France 
tyre pressure
Know the trick,

SWMBO always drops her tyre pressure by 0.2 or 0.3 bar when it gets snowy, and I guess I have just started copying her (plus the BF goodrich ATs seem to grip better in the wet at a slightly lower pressure).

Best

J
Post #48523 14th Dec 2010 5:20pm
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
I am with Rich on this. I have just spent the last 5 weeks around the ski resorts of Austria (still here), Stubai, Mayrhofen, Shlik2000, Garmisch and a few others and I haven't even thought of putting chains on. The accommodation we live in is half way up a mountain and on many occasions the minibuses have been left at the bottom of hills where I have just drove up without low or diff lock.

Yes many resorts require you to have chains (same here in Austria and Germany) but they don't make you put them on unless you loose traction (I have never seen anywhere that have made people put them on... about 5 in France, 3 in Germany, 5 in Austria and 6 in Canada). Unless you are driving off-road you won't need them.

Glyn Sheep
Post #48525 14th Dec 2010 5:22pm
67_6Cyl

France 
AndrewS wrote:

I'm going to register as three other people and rig the votes Rolling with laughter

Unfortunately I can't add a

Jon don't be a cheepskate and just buy another pair of chains

option to the already created poll Crying or Very sad

J
Post #48527 14th Dec 2010 5:23pm
discoch1

Tyre pressure:
I banned my wife from driving her car up to our house in the winter as I spent so much time trying to get the
tyre pressure right for her car to drive to our house. Even chains didn't work.
So her car stays down the village in winter, that why I have so much experience in snow and ice. Every day, twice a day.
Post #48528 14th Dec 2010 5:25pm
67_6Cyl

France 
Glynparry25 wrote:
Yes many resorts require you to have chains (same here in Austria and Germany) but they don't make you put them on unless you loose traction (I have never seen anywhere that have made people put them on... about 5 in France, 3 in Germany, 5 in Austria and 6 in Canada). Unless you are driving off-road you won't need them.

In France, they regularly have an "aire de Chaînage" at the bottom of known particularly susceptible roads. Unfortunately, the Gendarmes have started being a bit more strict recently and not letting people get past the aire without chains. This happened to the outlaws last week with their 130 (and local 38 plates) that the gendarmes wouldn't let them go up the N75 to the "col de la croix haute" (to where they live!) without chains (hence my initial worry).

I'm more than confident in the landrovers ability to deal with such conditions (just not in the Gendarmes ability to be sensible)

Best

J
Post #48533 14th Dec 2010 5:34pm
discoch1

One of the problems Here in CH, is that there could be a call goes out over the radio that you have to put your Winter Ausrustungen on, if you want to go some where. That means you have to have chains and winter tyres.
There are some roads in the Bernese Oberland that are obligatory chain fitting or else.

Because of the nature of the roads that I am driving on I cant even put the diff lock in as the next corner is to close.

As I said "Chains" if you need them to get going or for down hill stopping. It sounds like you wont be needing them anyway from the roads that you have discribed.
Post #48537 14th Dec 2010 5:44pm
67_6Cyl

France 
discoch1 wrote:
As I said "Chains" if you need them to get going or for down hill stopping. It sounds like you wont be needing them anyway from the roads that you have discribed.

I think we agree Rich,

I am taking the chains 'cos the Gendarmes have started getting a bit uppety, not for any other reason. The reason for the thread was to have an idea what to do if I only had one set.

Best, and good snow.....

Jon
Post #48542 14th Dec 2010 5:51pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
67_6Cyl wrote:
In France, they regularly have an "aire de Chaînage" at the bottom of known particularly susceptible roads.

I can confirm this happens in Courchevel the Gendarmes set a road block and were checking that 2wd cars had chains. they were turning cars back that didn't have chains.
Bizarrely they waved us on in a D3 along with the 110 Defender that came with us. Now both cars had mud tyres on that were not rated as winter tyres Rolling Eyes
It was interesting when we left the resort it dumped big time, this was when I realised that Goodyear MTR's ain't that good in these conditions.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #48545 14th Dec 2010 5:52pm
discoch1

Put them on the back. Add some ballast and take it steady.
Maybe we might meet up some where in summer on route and have a laugh about last winter. He! He!
Post #48546 14th Dec 2010 5:54pm
67_6Cyl

France 
AndrewS wrote:
I can confirm this happens in Courchevel the Gendarmes set a road block and were checking that 2wd cars had chains. they were turning cars back that didn't have chains.

Ouf, I was starting to think that I had been dreaming the whole thing..... nice for somebody to confirm it, and the Gendarmes let you through with the LR which is good, and shows they are using some discression.

Rich - plenty of nice places in the alps for a (summer) beer!

A+ as they say in France

Jon
Post #48556 14th Dec 2010 6:09pm
discoch1

Funny thing is! I got stopped over here in CH by the police last year, because they didn't know what it was that I was driving. Mind you I also got a parking ticket because the Securitas man had never seen one like my Landy before.
But now I'm diversifying. OOOPs!
Post #48561 14th Dec 2010 6:56pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
A good 4x4 accessory store nr the alps that I know of ...

Boege: http://www.pro4x4-74.com/

there's also a good store in Geneva near AutoBrit LR garage ...

have a great weekend's skiing
Post #48563 14th Dec 2010 7:24pm
Zinke

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
I have 2 sets of chains and have never needed them on the road no matter how bad it has been, even towing stuck lorrys.

I got 2 sets as when i do need them im off road or towing something (stuck vehicle or trailer) and wanted to be in control as much as possible.

2 sets of chains may cost you quite a lot and you may never need them but its cheaper than your insurance excess plus having to get home from far away.

Also my chains are rated for off road use with could come in handy if you was ever stuck!

Pete.
Post #48574 14th Dec 2010 9:03pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SteveS

England 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
For what it is worth I'd much rather have chains on the front - plenty of weight over them, and on the steering wheels too if for some strange reason you had the truck slide about then you could at least steer into the skid. Also with chains on the steering wheels you get much more feel for what's going on. Also front wheels are the first to encounter the deep stuff and therefore need the extra bite to continually ride up the deep stuff - the rears follow behind in trodden snow generally. If you're REALLY worried about spinning 180 on polished stuff you can always reverse down.

Having said all that rare that you'll need them with a decent set of MTs or Snow tyres
Post #48587 14th Dec 2010 10:21pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>