↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Another output shaft failure...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 7 of 10 <12345678910>
Print this entire topic · 
Fish13

Scotland 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Tamar Blue
By the looks of it, it would just transfer the weakness to the female part? For that price, you'd expect both male and female parts?
Post #542430 22nd Jun 2016 3:28pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
/\ and a new gearbox Laughing
Post #542458 22nd Jun 2016 5:03pm
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
How much - and that's for half the shaft!!!! I would expect it to be made of unbreakable unobtainium for that price, pity the rest of the driveline is still made of cheese in comparison Shocked Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #542488 22nd Jun 2016 6:39pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
It does seem bizarre that they only supply half the assembly!

I bought a complete low mileage Puma 2.2 gearbox/transfer box ex write-off for less than that!
Post #542496 22nd Jun 2016 7:13pm
Dom110XS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 CSW Alpine White
Joining the club
Today I have joined the output shaft failure club. Not so exclusive. Only 11k but luckily 6 weeks left on the warranty.
Post #550322 21st Jul 2016 10:06pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
You've joined the Club!!
How did it happen?
Pickles.
Post #550337 21st Jul 2016 11:55pm
Fish13

Scotland 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Tamar Blue
Really sorry to hear that!

I thought mine was low at 40 odd k but 11k is super low! Glad to hear it's under warranty.
Post #550339 22nd Jul 2016 12:16am
nosnibod

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
As I posted last month, Gracie had the intermediate shaft replaced, together with a new clutch - all of which as sparked off because the rear crank seal was leaking so it all had to come apart anyway.

A week after all that was done, we set off for south of France, towing our caravan. Everything seemed fine...

Gradually over the first couple of days driving I started to realise that a clunk was present - and getting worse - much worse. Every time I attempted to change gear I found I just couldn't do it smoothly and a loud clunk resulted on raising the clutch pedal, no matter how slowly I did it.

Finally, in slow-moving traffic around Lyon I started to realise that I was almost unable to disengage drive - the bite point of the clutch was only a couple of mm the floor. It was now clear there was something very wrong and I had visions of calling LR Assist...

Anyway we pressed on to our campsite so at least we would be able to have a holiday whilst the clutch problem was investigated and hopefully fixed.

Before calling LR Assist, I decided to have a Google and see what the problem might be - I'd already checked the clutch fluid level and that seemed fine but there was one other thing I could easily check... The clutch push rod adjustment.

I undid the six screws on the clutch pedal box cover and what did I see? Yes, two locknuts spinning freely on the push rod shaft Shocked No wonder I was having to push the clutch pedal right to the floor!

Fortunately I had two 13mm spanners. However due to the design I couldn't get the locknuts very tight (not enough room for the spanners) but fortunately I had some decent threadlock so used that as well and got it all snugged up and set up as per the workshop manual (already downloaded onto my phone...).

The result? A complete transformation; back to being smooth and gradual clutch again with no clunking or banging Bow down

The result from the small 'fix' is entirely disproportionate - you would think that the bite point of the clutch would just be lower but not change how harsh it it, but on my experience the clutch pedal adjustment is critical to smooth operation.

Now that it's adjusted correctly, I now know that the bite point is about half way down the clutch pedal travel; I'll also keep note of that for the future!

And no, I haven't had a word with the main dealer that did the work yet. I'm saving that for the next time it goes in for a service and the cost is discussed Whistle Dave
Gracie - 2015 110 XS County Station Wagon
Post #550347 22nd Jul 2016 6:30am
Dom110XS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 CSW Alpine White
Hi Pickles. It went exactly like Fish13 describes in the first post on this thread. Only difference for me was LRAssist did the recovery rather than a mate. My concern now is what kind of warranty repair I will get. Would prefer a new unit but will have to wait and see.....
Post #550733 24th Jul 2016 7:30am
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
Aahh right,..as I said in the 2nd post of this thread,...pretty much the same as me!
Your Dealer will do a good job,....they've probably had a bit of practice!
Pickles.
Post #550742 24th Jul 2016 8:22am
AlanH

Australia 
Got our Deafener back from the independent workshop today where the Adaptor shaft was changed. New OME item fitted but with a rubber bellows to contain grease and hose clips to keep it in place.
Old shaft was reddish in colour with distinct wear on the drive side of the splines. And obviously it had never had grease at any time although it had a transfer box change under warranty.
At the time of the new box being fitted I specifically asked the workshop foreman to ensure the shaft was greased....... "It is not a service item" he said in a deep take away curry nosh shop accent...... Laughing
AlanH.

PS. Some turkey on here thought it was odd me actually having it changed before it broke..... believe me Aussie mateship doesn't extend to getting a tow back over hundreds of kays for just fuel and expences...... it can cost many thousands of dollars (unless a mate can do it for you), far more than the cost of preventative maintenance. Shocked
Post #552782 1st Aug 2016 9:17am
pannawonica

Australia 
I got my adapter shaft changed at probably the same place and requested it to be greased. I got the same reply, although I did insist, I'm not optimistic! After five years of expensive servicing under lease , I was disappointed too discover that the prop shafts u/j's had not been correctly greased. In fact the only greasing done was what I had "additionally " completed! Next thing too buy is a transmission lift, I think you know what it will be in anticipation of! Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up
Post #553289 3rd Aug 2016 2:22am
AlanH

Australia 
The main stealer in Perth were the ones....I had probs with them years ago when I bought a new Td5 110, the so called service manger was a prick to be polite. He was moved out years ago though.
However they did the many warranty claim work on the Puma without any argument, as they should of course, and the lack of grease on that shaft is my only bitch about their work.
I may approach them for compensation........ Rolling with laughter
AlanH.
Post #553336 3rd Aug 2016 9:31am
Striker

I took my 90 into Ripon Land Rover yesterday for a gearbox oil leak and clunking on gear changes.
I had a call saying the output shaft needed replacement along with a flange and oil seals. All done under warranty Thumbs Up

And it will be ready to collect today.

Great service from them Thumbs Up

For reference mines a 2012 with 50k on the clock. Cheers Andy

Never Knowingly Understood
Post #553612 4th Aug 2016 8:37am
helmutk

Austria 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Tamar Blue
Fatboy Slim wrote:
Hate to say it, but I've found greasing them a waste of time. Unless you can keep greasing it the grease just dries out and becomes a rusty grinding paste on the splines.

^^This!
MY2011 2.4
1st one replaced after 41000km under warranty (3rd year). Assembled dry, replace was greased.
2nd one failed after further 45000km/3 years. Big Cry Seems greasing is not worth the effort.
Now I fitted the Ashcroft-kit. Let's see how long this will last...
Post #553624 4th Aug 2016 9:31am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 7 of 10 <12345678910>