↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Another output shaft failure...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 8 of 10 <12345678910>
Print this entire topic · 
Striker

It's not good is it. It will be interesting to see how the Ashcroft kit stands up over time.
Good luck with it Thumbs Up Cheers Andy

Never Knowingly Understood
Post #553731 4th Aug 2016 5:49pm
helmutk

Austria 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Tamar Blue
One can only hope...
In the meantime I will try to get extra-sensitive for driveline-backlash.
Oh, and not to get caught in the middle of nowhere at 120000 km Rolling Eyes Laughing
Post #553776 4th Aug 2016 9:50pm
pannawonica

Australia 
[quote="helmutk"][quote="Fatboy Slim"]Hate to say it, but I've found greasing them a waste of time. Unless you can keep greasing it the grease just dries out and becomes a rusty grinding paste on the splines.[/quote]

^^This!
MY2011 2.4
1st one replaced after 41000km under warranty (3rd year). Assembled dry, replace was greased.
2nd one failed after further 45000km/3 years. Big Cry Seems greasing is not worth the effort.
Now I fitted the Ashcroft-kit. Let's see how long this will last...[/quote]

I think Blackwolf was on too it, when he suggested that it was maybe not just related too lubrication! That there was an alignment issue also, the accuracy of the machining. Remains too be seen how the Ashcroft kit copes with this. Personally Im hoping that theirs is the solution! Thumbs Up Very Happy
Post #553801 5th Aug 2016 3:07am
helmutk

Austria 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Tamar Blue
I don't think this one-time greasing is sufficient. As written, (Almost) no grease remained in the spline, mine was as good as dry with lots of red dust in the housing.
When I had BMW K75 (Motorcycle) back in the day I had to grease the drive shaft to propel drive (?) every other year or so. Not mentioned in the manual, so the first spline got carious by tribocorrosion fast.
Post #553813 5th Aug 2016 7:11am
mega

England 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
could it be down to heat treatment issues. It would be nice to get a load of used and some new ones for hardness testing. Wink
Post #553903 5th Aug 2016 5:09pm
Fifth Horseman

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
pannawonica wrote:

I think Blackwolf was on too it, when he suggested that it was maybe not just related too lubrication! That there was an alignment issue also, the accuracy of the machining. Remains too be seen how the Ashcroft kit copes with this. Personally Im hoping that theirs is the solution! Thumbs Up Very Happy

I did wonder about alignment when this issue surfaced in 2012 http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic11955-75.html it would certainly explain the variability in shaft life between vehicles.

My first TDCi defender had no problems at around 80K mils when I sold it (bad move), my current Defender destroyed the shaft let year, about a year into ownership http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic38519.html

Its now giving symptoms of imminent demise again (but at least managed to get me back from work) some 20K miles later Big Cry
Post #560355 31st Aug 2016 9:37pm
AlanH

Australia 
I've just had my shaft renewed with an OE job but had a rubber boot fitted over the critical area packed with grease. Even the mechanic who did the job doesn't know if it'll be a lasting solution but as long as it does the job for the next couple of months until I've got shot of the thing, I don't care.
I would have had the Ashcroft part fitted but I had plans to go away on a long trip to some reasonably remote country and didn't want to wait for one to be shipped to Oz and the wait time was an unknown at that stage .
Then a hernia had to be fixed before I went so those travel plans were scuppered......
The Cook still loves Defenders and has threatened not to cook again.....but I'm afraid for me this one is the worst out of the 3 we've had due mostly to Ford cost cutting.
The darkside is calling once again .......... Shocked
AlanH.

PS. The shaft removed showed a lot of wear ( and red rust) on the drive side of the splines so it would have gone sometime in the future.
Post #560453 1st Sep 2016 9:05am
shaggydog

United Kingdom 1991 Defender 110 200 Tdi USW Arles Blue
Why not just get a pre TDCI one?

No need to leave the fold Whistle Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Self confessed mileage hunter Very Happy
Post #560497 1st Sep 2016 1:04pm
Fatboy Slim

Wales 
helmutk wrote:
Fatboy Slim wrote:
Hate to say it, but I've found greasing them a waste of time. Unless you can keep greasing it the grease just dries out and becomes a rusty grinding paste on the splines.

^^This!
MY2011 2.4
1st one replaced after 41000km under warranty (3rd year). Assembled dry, replace was greased.
2nd one failed after further 45000km/3 years. Big Cry Seems greasing is not worth the effort.
Now I fitted the Ashcroft-kit. Let's see how long this will last...

You were lucky to get that much out of it. You can see what I mean now......
Post #560574 1st Sep 2016 7:22pm
AlanH

Australia 
No more Defenders for me Shaggy. I've had 1 of each now (300Tdi, Td5, 2.4 Puma) and that's quite enough for anyone wanting to remain sane. Shocked
Problem is what to replace it with? I did have a 120 series Prado for over 4 years some time back and must say it was very reliable, but oh so easy to scratch and dent that plastic. Plus it sucked juice much faster than the Deafener.
Maybe younger bro will flog me his RRS Autobio when the warranty runs out........ won't be cheap but will be in top condition. Very Happy
AlanH.
Post #560726 2nd Sep 2016 9:34am
tuesdayfox

2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Zambezi Silver
Fifth Horseman wrote:
pannawonica wrote:

I did wonder about alignment when this issue surfaced in 2012 http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic11955-75.html it would certainly explain the variability in shaft life between vehicles.

My first TDCi defender had no problems at around 80K mils when I sold it (bad move), my current Defender destroyed the shaft let year, about a year into ownership http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic38519.html

Its now giving symptoms of imminent demise again (but at least managed to get me back from work) some 20K miles later Big Cry

I agree. I am not a mechanic but when I pull mine apart, the output shaft was almost 100%. Even without much grease.

Also after a clutch replacement, the gearbox feels so much better with reduced hbacklash.
Post #561531 5th Sep 2016 11:27am
AWOL

Re: Joining the club
Dom110XS wrote:
Today I have joined the output shaft failure club. Not so exclusive. Only 11k but luckily 6 weeks left on the warranty.

Mine has joined at 25k... 3 days prior to it's 3rd birthday.

TC light has flashed/kicked in unexpectedly maybe 2-3 times in past few months on pull away: not sure if linked but, if so, a possible leading indicator of failure?
Post #606850 5th Mar 2017 10:23am
defender9

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Without reading all the posts on this problem it would be interesting to see if it became more prevalent after a certain point in time. I had my 07 Puma 110 for 8 years with no problems. I know there would be numerous variable such as how well a vehicle has been serviced, the way it was driven, whether it was constantly hauling heavy loads however when I was working as a Quality Manager and investigating customer complaints, the valid complaints were invariably due to a change which had been made to the manufacturing process. Looking back at some other common Defender problems TD5 , 300tdi they seem to have been to do with poor design in the first instance and this could be the issue with the output shaft or as I mentioned initially did something change sometime during the production years to give rise to this problem?
Post #606892 5th Mar 2017 12:42pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Has anyone had significant warnings prior failure or do they just go as my last one did.

In the space of 200 miles today mine seems to have got a shed load of play in the drive train and I suspect the adapter shaft is just about to go Sad
Post #609890 16th Mar 2017 7:49pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
It's fubarred and I'm stranded!
Post #609904 16th Mar 2017 8:43pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 8 of 10 <12345678910>