↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Porsche caliper upgrade
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
N16kct

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Corris Grey
Porsche caliper upgrade
Has anyone successfully fitted Porsche calipers to their defender as an upgrade?

Plenty of affordable calipers available, discs potentially a bit of a stumbling block?
Post #524843 17th Apr 2016 9:01pm
YOLO110

Australia 
Why Question

Is the PCD and disk offset the same?

Plenty of specific Defender upgraded brake combo's available too...

Aside from looks, don't see the point really. Given it's real world use, I think the standard brake set-up is more than adequate... Whistle YOLO... You Only Live Once...
Post #524861 17th Apr 2016 9:48pm
N16kct

Defender is 156 and the Porsche is 130

Out of curiosity really and to be fair the standard brakes are somewhat lacking, especially with added kit and performance on top
Post #524863 17th Apr 2016 9:59pm
YOLO110

Australia 
Defender PCD is 5 X 165. Not sure about the disk offset.

So don't think the Porsche ones would fit.. Neutral

Brembo do a nice Defender upgrade.

Never read about Defenders being under-braked or suffering from fade... unless you were doing some motorsport perhaps... but of course bigger callipers and rotors always look cool! Cool YOLO... You Only Live Once...
Post #524865 17th Apr 2016 10:08pm
N16kct

Typo sorry Embarassed

Maybe mine are showing their age, but they are very underwhelming and don't promote much confidence!

Ahh, well if brembo do an upgrade, then the discs they use may just fit Thumbs Up
Post #524869 17th Apr 2016 10:14pm
YOLO110

Australia 
Have a look here mate...

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic5794.html

Thumbs Up YOLO... You Only Live Once...
Post #524870 17th Apr 2016 10:26pm
N16kct

Literally just finished reading that, thanks Thumbs Up

It's the cost really £2-3k for a set as opposed to £600 to £1000 for a Porsche set of brembo.

I've just read there is a tarox disc upgrade to 298x24mm which just so happens to be the size of a rear 911 996 or boxster disc. So guess would just need carriers machined to match?!
Post #524875 17th Apr 2016 10:40pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
"Porsche Brakes",...is a pretty vague statement,......it could mean anything as there are a squillion types & sizes of "Porsche Brakes".
Simply because they're "Porsche" doesn't mean anything really,....they could be brilliant on the Porsche that they were designed for, but totally useless on a Defender.
Brake efficiency, balance, compatability with your master cylinder & the rest of your brake system is far more important than "Porsche Brakes".
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE big brakes, but I wouldn't dream of fitting another brake system to my car unless that system was properly engineered for it.
Pickles.
Post #524877 17th Apr 2016 10:44pm
YOLO110

Australia 
I think the OP is just talking about the calipers... Question But machining these to fit the disk/hub would not be viable IMHO. There are so many considerations with brakes aside from all the other factors that you may end up with if you start 'modifying' them to get them to 'fit'...

I agree with you Martin... Personally, if I wanted to fit bigger brakes to a Defender, I would get ones designed from the get-go for the Defender... and accept there would be a cost for that.

There may well also be insurance implications if you went down another non 'Defender' specific part should the worse happen...

If a job is worth doing... do it properly and accept there will be a cost for that... it will always work out better in the long run IMHO Thumbs Up YOLO... You Only Live Once...
Post #524888 17th Apr 2016 11:20pm
YOLO110

Australia 
By comparison, modding brakes was a popular and effective way to go on the Lotus Exige...

The standard rotors were only 282mm diameter... you could fit a larger 308mm rotor and with minimal spacing, keep the same 2 pot callipers. This option was made available through quite a few aftermarket suppliers and gave much better brake efficiency, feel and modulation because of the bigger rotor diameter. Most peeps went this route as it was also quite cost effective.

Upgrading to bigger 4 pot callipers could also be done but bought with it a whole new list of issues... such as a bigger master cylinder, and then also perhaps fitting bigger callipers to the rear brakes as the brake balance was thrown off by the larger fronts!

In other words... this is a big subject and I am sure the Defender would also require similar careful thought. For me, the Defender is not a race track tool... it's a relatively heavy, slow, poor handling truck that has been designed a long time ago for a purpose... which it does really well. From a performance perspective, I honestly think the standard brakes are just fine. The grip offered by most A/T or M/T tyres on bitumen would give up way before the braking system would... But if I was really wanting a brake upgrade for whatever reason, I would definitely go down a route where someone else has done the proper R and D to get this right... Wink YOLO... You Only Live Once...
Post #524891 17th Apr 2016 11:39pm
Likeomg

2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
there is a few options on the market,

i have AP racing, 6 pots on the front, 362mm discs. rear's are ap 4's but i forget the disk size (its the same thats standard on a 110 front)

thats a standard front LR disc next to the upgraded one..

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

and standard rear calliper vs ap racing

Click image to enlarge

The rear's create the biggest problem, its a rare piston size to get the required brake pedal feel..

Theres also twisted who do a alcon setup, pretty much identical to my setup but says alcon..
Bowler do a setup which is what i was gonna get but they don't use 6 pot front's and i couldnt resist
tarox do a 6 pot front which i personally think looks naff.. but is the cheapest option.
Post #524892 17th Apr 2016 11:42pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
Aaahh, the ultimate,..."6 spot APs".....optioned them on an HSV GTO Coupe that we bought a few years ago. Wonderful brakes, wonderful, even, fade free, stopping power,.....no matter how hot they were,...Ferodo DS2500 pads.
Pickles.
Post #524898 18th Apr 2016 12:36am
N16kct

Obviously its not about smashing a random set of calipers that have porsche scrawled across them.

There are many different types Inc the 6 pots of the cayenne. I was merely trying to stimulate a discussion on what is already used, the spec of stuff that is available, in order to work out if putting something together was plausible.

It's been done thousands of times before on various different cars, I wondered why not on the defender. Since having asked the question I'm not concerned I have a problem with my braking system as mine are by no means what I'd call adequate.
Post #524915 18th Apr 2016 7:11am
Riccarton

Scotland 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Zambezi Silver
When I got mine the brake pedal felt numb - no feedback and certainly no urgency when it came to stopping. T'was on the job of things to do and to be fair still is although now perhaps more just for service sake.

Having got them proper hot a few times under prolonged heavy braking they are now "normal" - i.e. don't notice any lack of performance after driving SWMBOs BM. Incidentally, they never felt spongy - just "dead". It may be interesting for the OP to be able to do a back to back test with someone elses vehicle to see if it's just his or Defenders in general.

OT - Having read this thread it throws up another question - why do so many believe a Defender doesn't handle? Perhaps it's those without ARBs or low grip tyres?? With the exception of the DC all my Defenders have been remarkably good on road for such a tall vehicle. The DC was sorted with decent ARBs after SWMBO complained about feeling sea-sick Rolling with laughter The amount of grip available to me is limited by the Maxxis MTs I'm running but they are predictable and I can live with that for the other benefits they offer - plus certain "open" corners can be rather fun in the wet Thumbs Up
Post #524925 18th Apr 2016 7:50am
N16kct

My 90 handled really well, granted it was lowered 2" (I can hear the collective groans now) unlike my first 90 td5 that was lifted 3" and was frankly, bloody lethal.

The 110 handles ok currently, especially for a standard vehicle, but I will be carrying out some changes to improve it further.

I guess that's how I could describe it, there's little feeling to it and when you are approaching a junction at any speed I do wonder to myself if I'm actually going to stop in time, Its almost like severe brake fade, yet if you stand on them they will lock up.
Post #524932 18th Apr 2016 8:03am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>