↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Porsche caliper upgrade
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Likeomg

2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
N16kct wrote:
Obviously its not about smashing a random set of calipers that have porsche scrawled across them.

There are many different types Inc the 6 pots of the cayenne. I was merely trying to stimulate a discussion on what is already used, the spec of stuff that is available, in order to work out if putting something together was plausible.

It's been done thousands of times before on various different cars, I wondered why not on the defender. Since having asked the question I'm not concerned I have a problem with my braking system as mine are by no means what I'd call adequate.

it is possible, probably not hard at all with the correct adapters / disc and spline i just went for the easy (costly) option.
Post #524986 18th Apr 2016 11:42am
N16kct

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Corris Grey
That's what I was thinking. Rear boxster calipers will fit with the tarox upgraded front discs on the rear. It'll just need the caliper cariers fabricated, which if I had the measurements I can do at work no problem.

I am assuming that the carrier is not part of the hub assembly, tbh I've not even looked.

Cayenne 6 pots would be an idea for the front, the only issue there is either finding the right discs if there are any or getting hold of some bells and finding the right size rotors. Or just use the upgraded AP bells and rotors if available in the right size.
Post #524987 18th Apr 2016 11:49am
N16kct

To produce a kit consisting of using the various porsche calipers

cayenne turbo 6pot front calipers
Custom rotor bells
350mm rotors
4 pot boxster s rear calipers with 298mm tarox front defender discs

4x custom caliper carriers

4x custom brake lines

The best part of £1700, not Inc the caliper carriers which I'd have done for free but even so...

Guess for the hassle it's not really worth it. Laughing
Post #524994 18th Apr 2016 12:24pm
jimbob7

As others have said,if you need harder braking,YOU NEED TO SLOW DOWN.It's a commercial vehicle,not a track car.
Braided hoses are more than good enough upgrade. Pov.spec,ftw. 2006, 110,TD5.
Post #525009 18th Apr 2016 2:02pm
N16kct

Or adapt it to suit... we aren't all identical.

I don't understand, guys and girls on here modify their vehicles to their own needs on a daily basis. If I stuck a roof tent on it that I rarely used that'd be fine Mr. Green
Post #525013 18th Apr 2016 2:13pm
jimbob7

Size of them discs,you must need need 20" wheels! Pov.spec,ftw. 2006, 110,TD5.
Post #525037 18th Apr 2016 3:35pm
shanecl

Ireland 1989 Defender 90 V8 Petrol CSW Auto Firenze Red
Sorry for hijacking the thread but on a similar topic. Would it be hard to fit defender calipers to a disco 2. I hate the sliding calipers and would much rather the 4 pots and 2 pots of a 110.

Shane
Post #525039 18th Apr 2016 3:38pm
neil-h

jimbob7 wrote:
As others have said,if you need harder braking,YOU NEED TO SLOW DOWN.It's a commercial vehicle,not a track car.
Braided hoses are more than good enough upgrade.

Bowler would beg to differ Laughing
Post #525083 18th Apr 2016 5:57pm
Likeomg

N16kct wrote:
To produce a kit consisting of using the various porsche calipers

cayenne turbo 6pot front calipers
Custom rotor bells
350mm rotors
4 pot boxster s rear calipers with 298mm tarox front defender discs

4x custom caliper carriers

4x custom brake lines

The best part of £1700, not Inc the caliper carriers which I'd have done for free but even so...

Guess for the hassle it's not really worth it. Laughing

problem is, you may also need to replace the master cylinder like i said in my post, my ap racing rears are special's so as to keep a standard pedal feel

And anybody knocking a brake upgrade as it's a commercial vehicle really doesn't understand the defender concept, it can be anything you want it to be. i for one love being able to outbreak any normal road car, if i had road based tires rather than all terrains i recon id match most supercars for braking.. (and i do have a supercar..)
Post #525108 18th Apr 2016 6:36pm
redline

Switzerland 
+1 on what Likeomg said: the beauty of Defenders is that they are many different things to many different people. For me, its to go out camping in the wilderness, and its been equipped to suit. I don't need the brake set-up that Likeomg has or the OP is talking about it, but its still interesting and fascinating to me, and I wouldn't dream of criticizing them for their choices.
Post #525660 21st Apr 2016 4:29am
lambert.the.farmer

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Rutland Red
Don't forget that the standard brakes are designed to offer suitable retardation to a vehicle with a potential train weight of between 6 and 7 tonnes at upto 60mph, ok there are variations like vented discs and account has to be given to the braking effect of the trailer, but even so the standard system should be more than adequate for a solo vehicle even at motorway speed. I would be making sure that your existing system is working properly before rushing to upgrade it. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #525665 21st Apr 2016 5:48am
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
Lots of funny replies here from some who obviously have no idea of what comprises a good, proper, researched suitable brake system,.....and it ain't all about "lockin' 'em up",...actually that is the last thing ya need to happen,.....if ya "lock 'em up", ya've lost ALL retardation!!
A good brake system is exactly that, it's a "system",.....evrything has to be matched up,...weight of vehicle, size of wheels, rubber, bias front to rear, master cylinder etc etc etc,....and if you think you can do all of this, put this on, that on,...etc etc,....well good luck with that.
It ain't easy, that's why people like AP, Alcon, Brembo, tuners like Alive, Bowler Twisted etc are good value,...they've done the research, they've done the R & D, so they know what works,....and perhaps more importantly, what's gonna work, when that "Emergency" stop is required, in any situation, ya could be going around a corner, ya could be going 60ks, 120ks, who knows, but whatever, ya wanna know that those brakes are gonna dotheir job.
Pickles.
And another thing, if ya have an accident, which can in ANYWAY be connected to your brakes, & ya've got "non approved" brakes, well say good-bye to any insurance cover.
Post #525669 21st Apr 2016 6:12am
Likeomg

my insurance dropped £50 a year when i told them i uprated the brakes... they were initially confused when i told them they were ap racing, 'sir your going racing?' but in the end they dropped my price.

it's actually a bit scary when i jump from my def into a standard LR hire car, it's no where near as fun to drive, having to be more conscious with the braking.
Post #525700 21st Apr 2016 9:42am
jimbob7

I find it hard to believe that insurance premium goes down because you uprate the brakes. Pov.spec,ftw. 2006, 110,TD5.
Post #525713 21st Apr 2016 10:51am
tuesdayfox

2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Zambezi Silver
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

me too

usually upgrading the brakes isn't suggestive of a low risk driver..... Laughing Laughing Laughing

ESPECIALLY after reading "it's actually a bit scary jump from my def into a standard LR hire car, it's no where near as fun to drive, having to be more conscious with the braking."
Post #526329 24th Apr 2016 12:58am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>