↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > The (not so) Incredible Hulk
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
The Hulk

Scotland 1997 Defender 110 300 Tdi HT Aintree Green
The (not so) Incredible Hulk
I'm relatively new to Landys but have been a regular contributor on another marque's forum for the best part of 10 years. I acquired this ex-utility company 110HT 300tdi last week. I intend to keep her long-term and do all the work myself, whilst trying to get my 8-year-old boy interested in maintenance. To that end I'd like to keep a log of what I'm doing in order to benefit others in a similar situation, and for a bit of posterity. This thread should do nicely.

Click image to enlarge

I had done the deal without even seeing it! The previous PO is a friend of mine who owned her for many years and even drove her over the Sahara - and he looks after his motors well - so I was relatively comfortable about general condition. The immediately previous owner has had it for the last two years and has spent a fair bit of cash on her too so what could go wrong? Well...

On the whole she's in decent condition but I've no idea how she passed the MoT that was put on just before I collected her. The brakes appear to have a major issue, which saw me lurching towards a ditch 20 minutes into the journey home; the indicators wouldn't cancel and were flashing as hazzards; the indicator warning light in the dash was missing - not good if the indicators don't cancel too; the synchro on 2nd and especially 4th is poor; and she smokes like an old bus on anything more than a light throttle. On the positive side, much of the aesthetic work which I wanted to do has already been done, including a respray in Aintree Green; LED lights; auxiliary spots; black chequer-plate; rdx dash panel; snorkel, etc. She also has a second battery and inverter, a PTO winch, a diesel heater and a CB (does anyone still use these?). On the mechanical side, I'm informed she has had the EGR removed and a decat exhaust fitted. I suspect some tuning is required to sort out the smoking problem.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

To top it off, the engine has some nice new blue hoses and it even has an original engine cover and a grp puma bonnet.

Click image to enlarge

I've sorted the indicators, which were caused by a badly fitted boss and aftermarket wheel. The LED conversion wasn't responsible for the lights all flashing together - that was because of bad connections on the side repeaters which are standard bulbs. These are sometimes required to up the resistance in each circuit and stop the current bleeding through the warning light bulb.

I've also removed the ply bulkhead so I can see out of the back.., only to realise I don't have a rear view mirror Laughing The last few days have been spent trying to find out why the brake and handbrake warning lights don't show when ignition key is at position II. I only get oil and battery warning lights whereas my gf's 90 gets all four red lights on start-up. That's another project which means I get twice as much experience on these things.

Click image to enlarge

More to follow...
Post #523844 14th Apr 2016 11:28am
Mash

Guernsey 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Nato Green
Nice looking truck, look forward to seeing the updates. Thumbs Up 90 wolf - Jasmin http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic39408.html
90 V8 - Maggie http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic42564.html
110 TD5 - Buggsy http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic59029.html
52HG25 lightweight https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic72342.html
D3 Hse - Fiona
Capri 2l S - Anna

Think I might have a problem............
Post #523853 14th Apr 2016 12:20pm
shaggydog

United Kingdom 1991 Defender 110 200 Tdi USW Arles Blue
Good Looking truck.

Ex-utility trucks have generally had a hard life but they are looked after fairly well.

Sound like your on top of things and getting them sorted out Thumbs Up Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Self confessed mileage hunter Very Happy
Post #523861 14th Apr 2016 12:38pm
g-mack

United Kingdom 
looks a good un Thumbs Up looking forward to seeing what you do to it Very Happy

poor brakes could be vacuum problem Thumbs Up My 109 thread

my youtube channel
Post #523868 14th Apr 2016 1:00pm
The Hulk

That's better!

Click image to enlarge

It's amazing how much room there is behind the binnacle when all of this spaghetti is removed...

Click image to enlarge

She should go faster with all of the excess wiring I took out last night - dead alarm and immobiliser, old HD ballasts behind the new lights, and several spurious cables from the leisure battery doing nothing - including one unfused bare wire behind the passenger seat Shocked

This is the reason for the lack of handbrake warning light

Click image to enlarge

I know I could bypass the block but I like wiring to be tidy so I'm looking for a 2.8mm locking spade connector. Halfrauds doesn't have any so I may have to resort to the Bay and pay more in postage than the thing costs Rolling Eyes

Click image to enlarge
Post #523893 14th Apr 2016 2:06pm
dorsetsmith

Mobile Centre site sponsors or

http://www.polevolt.co.uk/acatalog/Econoseal_Connectors.html Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Last edited by dorsetsmith on 15th Apr 2016 10:44am. Edited 2 times in total
Post #523900 14th Apr 2016 2:45pm
L110CDL

England 
Great looking landy and your lucky that your g/f loves landys too Thumbs Up loving your thread and all the pics Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #523999 14th Apr 2016 8:53pm
The Hulk

dorsetsmith wrote:

http://www.polevolt.co.uk/acatalog/Econoseal_Connectors.html Thumbs Up Thumbs Up or this

Good call dorsetsmith, many thanks. I'm expecting a small envelope in the post tomorrow... Thumbs Up
Post #524055 14th Apr 2016 10:33pm
dorsetsmith

keep up the good work Thumbs Up
Post #524116 15th Apr 2016 8:31am
The Hulk

That's interesting... I went to start her last night to check if the whine was coming from the PTO. She normally starts instantly but it wasn't happening. The plug carrying the handbrake warning wire is still separated so I'm guessing it must also carry the fuel cut-off feed? Either that or I've done something silly when removing the old alarm/immobiliser. I'll find out once the new spade connector arrives in the post and I can put it all back together.
Post #524131 15th Apr 2016 9:28am
MCT96

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Santorini Black
Good looking Landy! Looking forward to seeing what you do with her and hopefully learn a thing or two Thumbs Up Good Luck with it all!
Post #524164 15th Apr 2016 11:32am
The Hulk

I've trawled the net and found these; apparently the old Yorkshire Electricity colours...

From what I can see, Hulk's original colour is somewhere between the two of these representations but the first picture shows exactly how the winch would have been used. T'internet is a wonderful thing. Mid Life; Live It!

Ongoing thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic45697.html
110 300Tdi Utility (Hulk)
90 300Tdi SW (GF's Tank)
Post #524176 15th Apr 2016 12:09pm
The Hulk

2.8mm spades arrived yesterday. Despite temperatures dropping below zero overnight, and with snow falling this morning, I crimped the wire and reassembled the plug whist I had some feeling in my fingers. I now have working handbrake and brake fluid warning lights on turning the ignition key. Oh, and she starts! Cool

Time for some breakfast. Mid Life; Live It!

90 300Tdi SW (GF's Tank)
Post #524400 16th Apr 2016 8:56am
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
That will be a very satisfying breakfast then Very Happy
Post #524433 16th Apr 2016 11:04am
The Hulk

Seats are showing signs of age, and the Hulk has clearly had a hulk of a driver at some point! The inside rear bolster is completely malformed. The rails could do with a good rub down and paint too. Odd that one seat is vinyl and the other is cloth.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I'm meantime resisting the temptation to throw in some Recaros or such like. The 90 has seats from an Audi and it's a pain in the bum if you have to remove them to get access to the battery etc. I've seen the Exmoor retrim option and suspect that's the way to go.

Is there any reason why the seats aren't interchangeable? The fitting is obviously the same and the only difference I can see is the backrest adjustment. Which side is the backrest adjustment meant to be on? How do the headrests adjust? Are they just seized perhaps?

And can anyone explain what these brackets next to the seat belt anchors are for?

Click image to enlarge
 Mid Life; Live It!

90 300Tdi SW (GF's Tank)
Post #524468 16th Apr 2016 1:32pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>