↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > B+E Test, how hard?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
miker

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Rioja Red
B+E Test, how hard?
I need to get my B+E entitlement to use the defender to tow various larger trailers. All the training seems to be several days and expensive! A lot of companies recommend more time for the trailer training than I had to learn to drive a car!

I have done a load of towing with a smaller trailer, and manoeuvred large and small trailers. My question to anyone that has done the test, how hard is it? Would I have much chance of passing without doing any training?
Post #500895 5th Feb 2016 4:41pm
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
As you might expect, it's not so much learning how to handle a trailer, but learning how to pass the test.

I tried it my first time with no training and failed miserably. I then did a course and passed.

I suggest getting some training otherwise it's a waste of test fees & time.

Also bear in mind that tests are done by LGV/HGV examiners so the standard of driving expected is (I feel) significantly higher than for a car test.  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #500896 5th Feb 2016 4:44pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
miker

You're right, I'm not surprised! The irony of it is that my mum (who is terrified at the prospect of driving the 110, let alone 110+trailer) could pick up my keys and tow a 3.5t ifor tonight, having never towed in her life!

Next question, any def2 members that are driving instructors?
Post #500900 5th Feb 2016 4:54pm
AJC

United Kingdom 
When i did mine i did 3 hours with instructor and then test.

I'd been towing 2 ton trailers for a long time prior to text, i just finally decided to be legit.

I now have my class 1 license so drive anything anyway
Post #500904 5th Feb 2016 5:05pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
I would agree with the above. If you can manoeuvre a trailer (especially a small one) you can pass the test in terms of the exercises. The rest is a normal road drive so they're looking at your driving habits as well and so those will need to be up to scratch.

I did a morning's training and then did the test a few days later and had no bother with it. But I had a fair bit of towing trailers both with the Land Rover and with tractors etc. beforehand so as above I could do the technical bit of it easily enough. Amazing how many 'bad habits' I had picked up though - I was particularly bad at pulling up too close behind the preceding vehicle in traffic. But you soon correct those bits.
Post #500928 5th Feb 2016 5:57pm
miker

I'll definitely get myself a few hours training in then, My other trailer is a 750kg single axle, and done a lot of mileage on that. Also got pretty good over time at reversing it round corners and into gaps!

I think in the meantime I'll ave another read of the highway code, and make a conscious effort not to have all my usual bad habits!! Funnily enough, the defender makes me much better behaved in that regard.
Post #500951 5th Feb 2016 7:26pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
What sort of trailer do they generally expect to see or use?
Post #500958 5th Feb 2016 7:39pm
miker

By the book: An enclosed/box trailer. Minimum Gross Weight of 1000kg. Minimum actual weight of 800kg. Must have 600kg of ballast in it.

It also says must be as wide and high as the towing vehicle, but from what I see out and about, and thinking about the practicalities of that, I think there must be some leeway there. Not many trailers as tall as a lifted defender!
Post #500960 5th Feb 2016 7:43pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Thumbs Up
Post #500973 5th Feb 2016 8:13pm
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
I did mine a couple of months after doing my HGV and found it pretty easy - it is basically the HGV test minus the CPC elements. You do a couple and un-couple, reversing maneouver and a road drive. Mine was about £500 for a four day course with a test on the final day, but someone with a bit of experience could probably do it in a three day situation. 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1972 Series III 1-Ton Cherrypicker
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #500974 5th Feb 2016 8:14pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Keswick Green
I booked a half day course, with a test at the end of it, at the start of April. Little worried now Laughing Embarassed

Last edited by Disco_Mikey on 4th Apr 2016 6:38pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #501003 5th Feb 2016 8:53pm
dantastic

United Kingdom 
I did mine not too long ago, like 2 years ago.
Been towing for years but they were starting to crack down on it locally so figured better get legal.

Went in on my first go without having done any lessons (ever - passed my B license 10+ years ago)
Oh I fail so hard it could be heard in the next county! Didn't fail on anything trailer related. Would have failed just as hard doing a regular B test.

Had picked up a lot of bad habits over the years. 2 hours with an instructor had me set right anyway and I was able to pass after that.

Edit to add:

If you are worried you haven't booked enough time with the trailer instructor. Book some time with a category B instructor and drive around in a Fiesta for an hour - it's the same stuff you will be corrected on.
Post #501071 5th Feb 2016 11:14pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Having put two young 'uns through it, the general consensus from then was you need to do some time with an instructor to counteract your bad habits. They reckoned the mechanics of it were no problem it was the driving round like you were in a driving test that was the hardest. Even now my daughter pulls me up on stuff with a 'you'd have failed your test for that, mum' sort of comment. To which I invariably reply that there are some advantages to age.
Regards
Barbara
Post #501077 5th Feb 2016 11:22pm
sako243

Wales 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Alpine White
Interesting, my experience wasn't quite like the others. I thought he was a little more lenient than my normal test.

In fact when we started off he mentioned that although it is a full blown test he'd rather see 100% safe driving than 100% by the book. The example he gave was not necessarily paying as much attention to the position of the hands on the steering wheel.

I did a couple of hours with an instructor to get used to his 4x4 (can't remember what it was) and then straight to the test. Ultimately he said I could do it in the 110 but pointed out that at least his had a half decent turning circle to help with manoeuvering...

I didn't actually pay for mine, or the training, because I lived on a working farm so the Welsh Assembly funded it (still do I think if you work or live on one) Very Happy Ed
82 Hotspur Sandringham 6x6
95 Defender 110 300Tdi
Post #501131 6th Feb 2016 9:10am
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
I cannot believe there are members on this forum that admit to driving a Defender and trailer without the correct license. Yes we've all broken the law at some time whilst driving, crossing a double white line, parking on double yellows and speeding but have these people ever thought that if they had an accident whilst driving with a trailer and weren't licensed then their insurance company could and probably would refuse to pay out as they would deem your insurance invalid. Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #501144 6th Feb 2016 9:43am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>