↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > So many questions - sorry!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Butchers Boy

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
So many questions - sorry!
So I'm in to the 5th day of ownership of my Grey 2010 defender 90 and need advice on the following:

I need new tyres all round. I'm running on stock Boost wheels 15/16"? with Continental's I want a good all round tyre summer/winter on & off road -suggestions please!

I did think about changing the wheels to the black 18" Boost wheels I love the look with the bigger wheels and this would be an ideal time change them. Do the 18" wheels compromise the ride? I can not really imagine the ride getting much more bumpy than it already is Rolling with laughter

I've changed my driving style quite a bit but can not seem to stop the kangarooing and having to either slip the cluch or take corners & inclines in 2nd gear..... or even both come to think of it!! I'm thinking remap!! Alive or Belle? The extra bhp will always come in handy but it would be nice to be able to slip in to 6th gear at 30mph and actually stay in it when I go around a bend, up an incline Thumbs Up

Silicon hoses - Is it worth changing my stock hoses for silicon? What advantages do they have?

Breaks are ok but would like to them to be a little better Is it worth up rating the disks to double vented? any suggestions

Shocks & bushes To improve the ride any suggestions on this subject?

Security any good after market items out there worth getting? Or just better alarm immobiliser than standard Factory one already on it? Clifford alarms any good? Can anyone recommend a good Alarm?

Any help & advise will be very welcome guys - thanks Thumbs Up Bow down
Post #491288 12th Jan 2016 12:32am
Petronius4

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
On security, there are plenty of alternate views on whats best but I put one of these on mine every time I park up http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00UWS8...amp;sr=8-2 and I use a 3/4 inch steel cable wrapped through the bulkhead and then through the steering wheel and padlocked. Plus the std alarm/immob.

General consensus is that 'layers' of security is best approach - try to make it as time consuming and difficult as possible for your local tea leaf.

There are plenty of alternative clutch locks and I'm not suggesting this is the best combination but it works for me. -------------------------------
👲🏻 1986 ex-Military 90 NAD 2.5 Soft Top. Sold
🇬🇧 2015 Defender 90 - Ripon Landrover Heritage 006
Post #491299 12th Jan 2016 1:11am
tonyhedge

2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Montalcino Red
Welcome to Defender ownership!

My own suggestion would be to do nothing that doesn't *need* doing for six months! Hope that doesn't discourage you - it isn't meant to - but in that six months you'll get used to some quirks, get to love some and get to hate others!

In particular you will notice one day that you didn't lurch away after any gear changes or corners. The rev hang took me ages to get used to, and that is after after decades of driving various Land Rovers (with or without synhcromesh).

As for
Quote:
a good all round tyre summer/winter on & off road
- I think we would all like to find those! I run Wrangler MT/R which suit me especially when moving Sheep Sheep Sheep around muddy bits, and look great, but they are a lot noisier on the road than Continentals.

For security, a Disklok as an absolute minimum. Easy to use, which means you do (rather than thinking "only here for a few minutes, won't bother!"). Take a look at some of the trackers - FCX on here are (I think) still running an excellent offer on Skytag, and are good people to deal with.

Good luck and enjoy it! That's not a dent, it's a rivet. That's not a dent, it's a rivet. That's not ... oh! That is a dent!

2014 90 XS SW
1997 Discovery 300TdiS (retired to stud)
1966 Series IIA 88" (now my son's)
2001 Astra - I need something to go and buy the parts when the others are off the road!
Post #491311 12th Jan 2016 7:25am
AJC

United Kingdom 
Petronius4 wrote:
On security, there are plenty of alternate views on whats best but I put one of these on mine every time I park up http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00UWS8...amp;sr=8-2 and I use a 3/4 inch steel cable wrapped through the bulkhead and then through the steering wheel and padlocked. Plus the std alarm/immob.

General consensus is that 'layers' of security is best approach - try to make it as time consuming and difficult as possible for your local tea leaf.

There are plenty of alternative clutch locks and I'm not suggesting this is the best combination but it works for me.

Over 10 cheaper on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Auto-Anti-theft-...Sw3ydV5YVN
Post #491324 12th Jan 2016 8:22am
RobKeay

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Tyres my favoured are bfg ko2 or general at2.

Why do you want to do 30 in sixth. Think of sixth as a cruising gear. I normally change into sixth at around 50-60. There shouldn't be any need to slip the clutch. You are in the wrong gear or there is an engine fault.
Post #491327 12th Jan 2016 8:39am
AJC

United Kingdom 
As above, you shouldn't need to slip the clutch at all.

What was your previous vehicle?

Clifford alarms are good, but make sure if you get one installed it's by an approved installer, when people have a bad experience with an alarm, 9 times out of 10 it's due to bad install.

Tyres, i'd recommend BFG AT's, your boosts are 16 inch and for a standard 90 i'd say 235/85 or 265/75. If you're purely just doing road miles, go for the 235's.

Supension is what it is, but if you want to try and improve, OME shocks and springs but you'll be looking at 500 minimum.

No harm in a remap, and with regards to silicone hoses, I'm not too sure what the o/e puma boost hoses are like as i don't own one, but i'd like to think they're ok with them being 5 year old. But if your 90 is high miles they will of seen some action and i suppose there is no harm in changing them if you're happy to change them at your cost.

I'd certainly recommend a remap though, we have a Mondeo ST TDci which is same engine as the Puma, i think they're cracking engines and do benefit from a tweak
Post #491329 12th Jan 2016 8:47am
Anderzander

United Kingdom 
I think the wait before you commit to mods is good advice.

If you need tyres now the bfg AT's recommended are an amazing all round tyres. Good on road and off, which is an unusual achievement - plus you'll get huge mileage from them.

265/75 looks chunkier but you'd need to change your steering lock to stop them rubbing - reducing your turning circle. So 235/85 is a good choice.

See how you get on for a while then - the kangarooing doesn't sound right - might be worth checking there are no faults logged?

If after a while you think you'd like better road handling and less roll look at something like fitting Bilstein B6 shocks - not hugely expensive but transform the ride in my experience.

Take your time - and enjoy yourself Smile
Post #491330 12th Jan 2016 9:04am
Butchers Boy

Thanks for all the advise guys its really helpful please do keep it coming Thumbs Up

Maybe a slight over exaggeration on my behalf re the kangarooing but I do find myself wrestling with the gear stick to stop juddering when slowing down. I don't think its the vehicle its probably me although I am getting used to driving it a lot differently to my daily drive (Range Rover Sport) I've been driving auto's for the last 10 years so driving a manual again is taking a bit of adjustment Whistle Rolling with laughter

So on the subject of the remap whats the difference's between the Alive and the Belle map? Is one better than the other? Guess a little more power wouldn't hurt a smoother drive drive would be great though the gears Thumbs Up

Oh in answer to 'how many miles my Defender has covered?' its just turned 49k Thumbs Up

Any comments on changing the 16" Boost alloys to the 18" in terms of any disadvantages??

Please do keep all the comments coming guys Thumbs Up
Post #491343 12th Jan 2016 10:02am
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
Disadvantages are choice of tyres and off road ability, you can't let as much air out of a tyre on an 18" rim and you're more likely to damage something. There's also the cost, you're spending a load of money that then can't be spent elsewhere Smile

On tyres, this makes some good points: http://www.expeditionswest.com/research/wh..._rev1.html
He's not alone in the conclusions that are reached, it agrees which what agricultural engineers say too, and they have the research to support (I work for one!).

It's getting a bit out of date and misses some options out, but I also think this article on tyres is worth reading: http://expeditionportal.com/where-the-rubber-meets-the-road/

On road, the larger wheels should reduce your unsprung weight (I think?), will definitely reduce the sidewall flex and the amount that the inner of the tyre lifts up off the road whilst cornering.

Looks are very personal. My preferences are very much towards the tall and skinny 16" tyre which also performs best for most Defender-y jobs.
Post #491443 12th Jan 2016 5:48pm
RobKeay

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
The only issue with 18 inch is your truck gets dirty very quickly. This is because they tend to sit wider. My mates just fitting the glywn Lewis mud flaps.
Post #491449 12th Jan 2016 5:59pm
Butchers Boy

That's interesting RobKeay Thumbs Up I really like the look of the wider stance! I was told today that wheel spacers (not too wide because of the offset load on the wheel bearings) will improve the turning circle Is this true? What size spacers is it safe to go too? 2010 Defender 90 HT

The longer I live..... The better I was!
Post #491470 12th Jan 2016 7:04pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Tyres: BFG AT KO2

Security: Pedal lock devices, alarm, locking wheel nuts, layer it on

Remap: Try getting used to it first

Kangarooing - drive it more, you'll soon perfect how to smooth things out

Suspension: It IS a terrible ride, either put weight in the back or change the springs and dampers. A popular and seemingly proven comfier ride comes from the Alive tuning package but costs about 650 for parts. 2016 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #491476 12th Jan 2016 7:14pm
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
It's cheaper to go to your local builders' merchant a pop quarter of a ton of sand in the back Laughing
Post #491552 12th Jan 2016 9:40pm
Butchers Boy

Thanks guys you've all been really helpful with the advice Thumbs Up

I'm still loving the Defender and really can't wait to carry out some mods - I just can't help myself Rolling with laughter

I need to move on the tyres now as mine are almost on the limits Big Cry

I'm going to stay with my 16" Boost wheels get them sprayed in gloss black Thumbs Up I'm going for the BFG AT KO2 I've read some good reports on them and WOW I think these are lovely especially the tread around the sidewall they are really chunky Thumbs Up Getting the 265 again for the chunky look and of course they will be perfect off road as well as on the black stuff!
Few more questions Whistle

I'm currently running 235/85 R16 should I go for the 265/85 or the 265/75 obviously the 85 has slightly higher side wall than the 75? Any advantages ogoing for the 75 or 85's? Will dropping down to 75 make my speedo readings wrong changing the size of the tyre?

If I Put 265's on will I need spacers to stop them rubbing on full lock? If so what size & best ones to get? Will fitting spacers have any effect on road holding etc Or have any ill effects on the 90?

Cheers Thumbs Up 2010 Defender 90 HT

The longer I live..... The better I was!
Post #492465 15th Jan 2016 12:18am
Anderzander

United Kingdom 
Are the sizes not 265/75 or 255/85 ?

265/75 were a factory fit - they will though, as said, lose you quite a bit of lock unless you have spacers. That said I lived with them on a 90 for ages and it was ok.

255/85 are what I have now - they are a touch narrower for a little more lock but quite a bit higher, giving more underdiff clearance. They are my favourite size - though they will change your gearing a little

Last edited by Anderzander on 15th Jan 2016 8:25am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #492484 15th Jan 2016 7:26am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>