↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > I so hate tyre fitters !
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
ken

United Kingdom 
Pickles nothing wrong with a buzz gun if used correctly simple process really crack the lock bolts buy hand if your silly enough to have them . Then use a sleeved impact socket and buzz gun to remove ensuring you hold the sleeve so the socket rotates within the sleeve thus ensuring no marks are made on the internals of the bolt recess Razz repeat on the remaining bolts/nuts leaving the bolt at six o'clock till last three hands help now if not familiar then hold the bottom of the wheel to stop it canting on the thread then remove wheel. Do your stuff . Then refitting is reverse save for fitting a torque bar to the buzz gun (20nm) lower than required then a final torque up with a digital torque wrench .

See simple Razz
Post #488366 4th Jan 2016 4:38am
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
G'Day Ken.
I'm aware of all that, & the theory is good,......for an operator who CARES,...but many don't, & if I had a dollar for every burn mark/scuff I've seen on nut recesses, I'd be a rich man. But look, to be honest,I don't really care if they use a gun or not, as long as there's NO marks on my rims, and the nuts are not over tightened.
It's finding a good operator who really CARES, which is my major concern,and that can be difficult.
And I don't mind a bit of extra cost for a bit of extra care,...I just want the job done "RIGHT".
Like I said, even lifting the car can do damage if not done correctly!
Pickles.
Post #488369 4th Jan 2016 6:18am
ken

United Kingdom 
The problem is fairly simple the idiots who own these outlets pay peanuts for one of the most important jobs on any motor vehicle. Unfortunately very few of these guys care .

I'm lucky enough to have the kit to do it properly for myself and the company I represent a few forum peeps have been over to my facility I've talked them though the process

Find a good local Indy and support them however most people are driven by cost so they buy cheap and expect premium service the two rarely go hand in hand. So the small Indy disappears

This was demonstrated a while ago on another forum

I'm a firm believer of you get what you pay for Thumbs Up
Post #488370 4th Jan 2016 6:45am
mcma1

Recently took the RS6 into a garage for a tyre repair....not my usual as he was shut for the holidays. Anyway sitting in the waiting room I could hear someone revving the nuts of it, I don't mind a bit for the smiles and giggles but this went on and on, hitting the limiter for ages. Went out, jumped in the car and went home... Clowns Andy

2014 Fuji 110 SW LS3
https://www.defender2.net/forum/post751233.html#751233

2014 Corris 110 SW
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic40056.html

My old Xtech 90 build..
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic15681.html

LS3 V8 build...
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic49051.html
Post #488374 4th Jan 2016 8:30am
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Don't think it's just tyre fitters. Shoddy workmanship and 'give-a-f***' mentality is prevelant everywhere these days. It's just with tyre fitters (as an example) you see the damage (physical and fiscal) to their amateurishness. As it happens, I use an indie here in France, and he's generally very good. But he's a car nut, who builds, preps and rallys his own cars. He loves talking cars, motors, racing etc when you're there. He loves 'Le Def' (as he calls it) as well, but whether that improves the service over a big standard Renault Clio client I have no idea. Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #488387 4th Jan 2016 10:08am
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
We have had quite an amusing incident with one of our tractors which had a puncture repaired by us (we do a lot of that sort of thing ourselves). The chap doing it left a tyre lever in the rim without realising it and as a result the tractor was making some very weird noises when driving along slowly. It was due for sale anyway so it left after a few months of making funny noises with us thinking something major was going wrong with it. The people that had it off us eventually returned the culprit!
Post #488460 4th Jan 2016 2:20pm
dave18

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Portofino Red
Cupboard any hints to who you use as I know a large company that does a lot of agricultural equipment and one of the fitters wouldnt surprise me if that was all he left!!!
Post #488550 4th Jan 2016 7:04pm
Cupboard

The tyre lever in question was entirely our fault Smile
Well, it was way before I worked here, but the chap that did it knows he did it and it's long enough ago to laugh about it Very Happy
Post #488589 4th Jan 2016 8:59pm
Cuthbert

Re: I so hate tyre fitters !
rossy wrote:
Why does a simple job always have to be an ordeal with these guys ?

Checking the weights on my newly fitted KO2s (cos if they're going to fall off its usually within the first few days) I noticed that one strip was stuck over a groove on the wheel i.e. not on a flat surface and a bit rattly so back in I went this morning. The guy removed all the weights, put it on the balancer and then realised he had no balancing weights left in the building !

So off I go to another branch of the same firm 10 miles away. The wheel is on the back so I get the usual nonsense along the lines of 'we don't usually do the back ones' - like as if theres no bushes, bearings to wear out ! Fair enough he balanced it OK but then I noticed he'd jacked my 110 up on the ARB links which were all kind of squashed upwards and the roll bar itself squashed right into the bushing. I checked when I got home and all seems OK but surely thats not a jacking point !

I always bring a torque wrench with me set to 135nm because fitters always seem to tighten nuts to stud snapping strength.

Why can't these useless muppets just do the flipping' job properly Evil or Very Mad

Ask yourself the following question. "Thinking back to your schooldays and remembering a class full of kids, did any of the smart kids ever become a tyre fitter!? It is rare to meet a tyre fitter that has any interest in or comprehension of the function of a tyre. There is one major tyre fitting chain that even specified non-qwerty keyboards as their staff weren't the brightest bulbs in the box.
Post #489855 8th Jan 2016 9:25am
ken

United Kingdom 
One of our fitters is a BSC SOE MIRTE MICFM Thumbs Up
Post #489861 8th Jan 2016 10:10am
dave18

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Portofino Red
Cuthbert, think that's a bit of a sweeping statement. Bit like saying all English are Bawbags!!
Two tyre fitters I know are motor heads ok one isn't very mechanicaly minded but if you show him something he will remember it. Think its more of a pay peanuts get monkeys!

When I was in my late teens and unemployed the job centre put me on a 1 year NVQ / C&G motor vehicle course commonly known as the fast fit course as it's supposedly what the big chains put their ladds on. There was 12 ish of us 4 of us knew spanners the others were idiots. When it came to the exams (online multiple choice) the 4 of us were doing 90min exams in 15mins. Governing body came to college to see where we were sitting and every thing as we had all got 100%. Some of the idiots barley got pass marks. Questions like here is 4 pictures which one is a axle stand!! What torque setting should you do wheels up 10,50,300lbft , manufacture specs?
Post #489916 8th Jan 2016 12:27pm
Cupboard

None of the above, my torque wrench reads in Nm Wink
Post #489941 8th Jan 2016 2:13pm
George G

United Kingdom 
dave18 wrote:
What torque setting should you do wheels up 10,50,300lbft , manufacture specs?

Cupboard wrote:
None of the above, my torque wrench reads in Nm Wink

ummmm... Whistle
Post #489948 8th Jan 2016 2:51pm
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Post #489950 8th Jan 2016 3:03pm
Rickydodah

In my experience tyre fitters are like everyone else in life there are some really knowledgable people who have a wealth of experience and are very skilled, and some as we all know are the opposite. I had almost thirty years in an engineering environment and worked with both types. Recently I had some involvement with a civil court case and the barristers and solicitors, those members of society we would think we're highly educated also fell into the above categories. One was brilliant and I was surprised that she would have taken on such a case but the two others would have struggled to find their way home they were so inept. CPS lawyers are normally pretty cute but those acting for legal aid clients.......well those with this experience will know what I mean. Incidentally as well, my doctor is very good, the other in the group practice I wouldn't let open the mail. So good and bad in all walks of life I would have said. Thumbs Up I started with nothing and still have most of it left!
Post #490003 8th Jan 2016 6:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>