↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Puma power loss - unusual squeal from turbo
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
It's also common for the front branch of the manifold to come loose from the head, which makes interesting squealing and/or whistling noises but seldom causes power loss.
Post #486052 27th Dec 2015 11:55pm
ickle

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
The problem is that on mine at least the fault was intermittent, and yes generally after a long constant speed (fast) run and then a change in throttle opening.

First time on the run back up from the ferry at Portsmouth, didn't happen until Cheltenham turn M5, next time 3 months later, again virtually the same place again back from Portsmouth. In between times it was perfect.

It slowly got more and more regular but I was swapping and checking everything else in the meantime.

The only good thing is it will reset and shouldn't leave you stranded.

If everything else above is tried, and the turbo variable vanes do feel 'sticky' you could try a turbo cleaner through it for a few miles and then try it for movement again, and again I believe all of the turbo parts are available, I was just so p155ed off by this point I put a new turbo, bigger intercooler, silicone hoses, straight through exhaust just to make sure....

BTW the new turbo was from Turbo Technics in Germany, brand new, no exchange £660 delivered.
Post #486053 27th Dec 2015 11:57pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
blackwolf wrote:
It is possible to replace the actuator servo on its own if it is faulty, but they are pretty robust. LR will only sell you a complete turbo though.

Do they never learn - after a series of faults with Turbocharger Actuator Arm Corrosion on Discovery 4, Discovery 3, Range Rover Sport, & Range Rover, JLR issued a service update to dealers in 2011:

Issue:
A customer may report a loss of engine power and/ or the Check Engine Lamp (CEL) may be illuminated. A Powertrain Control Module (PCM) fault code read may display a turbocharger boost pressure related fault as a result of a seized actuator arm.

Cause:
The actuator arm pivot points can corrode leading to full or partial seizure of the actuator arm mechanism.

Action:
Following diagnosis, if the cause of the concern is corrosion of the actuator arm pivot, turbocharger replacement is no longer necessary as a lower level part is now available from Caterpillar.
Post #486179 28th Dec 2015 11:55am
v8bobber

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Java Black
Thanks for all the info. I've have been flat out in work so will hopefully have a look at this after the weekend when I have a couple of days off.

Fingers crossed that the weather is better
Post #487653 1st Jan 2016 10:42pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12