↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Land Rover Customer Relations > DEALER WARRANTY POLICY ON DEFENDER 2.2 130 AFTER NEW ENGINE
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
chrisbowler

DEALER WARRANTY POLICY ON DEFENDER 2.2 130 AFTER NEW ENGINE
Hope you can help and give me some info in regards to the Dealer warranty policy after fitting a new engine under warranty.

I have a friend who owns a Defender 2.2 130 double cab that suffered an engine failure (oil pump) just a few weeks before the end of the factory vehicle warranty - Apr 2015. The dealer in question replaced the engine under warranty.

Despite a few initial problems post fitting the engine (heater not working and oil in the water) the car ran fine for about 6 months before recently developing an over heating problem and a coolant loss problem. It is now not drivable for move than 1/2 hour before boiling over. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer that carried out the engine swap and they have stated that the warranty on the new ending finished on the day that the vehicle warranty ended and that apart from a goodwill gesture contribution towards work, any work carried out to rectify the coolant problem would basically have to be covered by the customer. They have suggested that it could be either EGR valve, exhaust or head gasket problems but would not commit to further diagnosis.

I would be grateful if you could clarify this from the Land Rover perspective rather than from a dealer.

I should add that the owner of this vehicle has a fleet of 11 Defender TDCi and Disco 4 vehicles as he runs a tree surgery business - so he has shown allegiance to the brand!!

Chris Bowler
Post #481192 10th Dec 2015 11:46pm
Wheel

United Kingdom 
Hi Chris,
Sorry to hear of your friends problems.
I've had this with other items that I'd bought and had a 3yr warranty and have failed within this.
They haven't been cars but it was as you stated, the new/replacement part was only covered until the original warranty on the original/failed item ran out.
I would hope that the dealer in question would honour any work they've done above anything else and on such a large item even the manufacturer (LR ??) should cover it as although unlikely, the issue could be with the engine.
It may be worth a call to find out what warranty he would have got had he had the same new engine fitted outside of warranty as I think I would be asking despite the transfer of money, what's the difference ??
The other avenue to explore would be the one that asks if the new engine was fitted correctly as you said he had problems initially which could indicate the dealers may have caused a problem which is now presenting itself. All of this will be recorded by the dealership and they will have job sheets of what's been done etc.
Considering he has obviously invested lots of money into them and LR for that matter they really aren't acting very honourably !!!!
It may also be worth contacting Trading Standards which is now covered by Citizen's Advice as they may know more of the legal aspect and what his rights are or indeed LR who also have a vested interest in this from the point of customer satisfaction and repeat sales and their Brand Representation by the dealer.
Its a shame that the dealership are trying to wash their hands of this when they clearly have a part to play in it all.
Maybe he/you should name and shame them on here as a warning to others. A friend in retail always tells me, "one unhappy customer turns into 10" but it'd be really warming to read a post on here saying the dealership had resolved the issue, your friend was more than happy and who knows, the dealership may gain some new customers !!!!
Good luck with it all and please keep us updated on his progress ??

Mark
Post #481232 11th Dec 2015 9:40am
Wheel

United Kingdom 
Hi Chris,
Sorry to hear of your friends problems.
I've had this with other items that I'd bought and had a 3yr warranty and have failed within this.
They haven't been cars but it was as you stated, the new/replacement part was only covered until the original warranty on the original/failed item ran out.
I would hope that the dealer in question would honour any work they've done above anything else and on such a large item even the manufacturer (LR ??) should cover it as although unlikely, the issue could be with the engine.
It may be worth a call to find out what warranty he would have got had he had the same new engine fitted outside of warranty as I think I would be asking despite the transfer of money, what's the difference ??
The other avenue to explore would be the one that asks if the new engine was fitted correctly as you said he had problems initially which could indicate the dealers may have caused a problem which is now presenting itself. All of this will be recorded by the dealership and they will have job sheets of what's been done etc.
Considering he has obviously invested lots of money into them and LR for that matter they really aren't acting very honourably !!!!
It may also be worth contacting Trading Standards which is now covered by Citizen's Advice as they may know more of the legal aspect and what his rights are or indeed LR who also have a vested interest in this from the point of customer satisfaction and repeat sales and their Brand Representation by the dealer.
Its a shame that the dealership are trying to wash their hands of this when they clearly have a part to play in it all.
Maybe he/you should name and shame them on here as a warning to others. A friend in retail always tells me, "one unhappy customer turns into 10" but it'd be really warming to read a post on here saying the dealership had resolved the issue, your friend was more than happy and who knows, the dealership may gain some new customers !!!!
Good luck with it all and please keep us updated on his progress ??

Mark
Post #481233 11th Dec 2015 9:40am
dorsetsmith

had land rover replaced the oil pump under the recall this year ? if so you have 12 month warranty on this work cared out by them Exclamation
Post #481241 11th Dec 2015 10:11am
chrisbowler

No, the engine originally went bang, the dealer diagnosed that the oil pump had failed, and fitted a replacement engine. This was done in may 2015.

Chris Bowler
Post #481261 11th Dec 2015 11:40am
dorsetsmith

Q421- Oil Pump Failure Exclamation

read on another forum about a recall for 2.2 Puma Vin Range: LD405037 - LD443988 The recall came out in April 15

This recall consists of: Replace the oil pump, oil sump, oil pickup pipe, oil pump outlet pipe, oil filter & refill with engine
oil.

i would try and get hold Ryan@LandRover has been on this forum and been very helpful at customer problems

Ryan@LandRover
Verified Account
Verified Account

United Kingdom
Hi all

Thank you for your posts.

I am sorry to learn of your concerns, please accept my apologies on behalf of Land Rover for any inconvenience or frustration that may have been caused.

Should you require any assistance or wish me to look into your concerns, please feel free to send me a PM with the following information;

Your full name
Telephone number
Email address
Vehicle registration
Last 6 of VIN
Relevant Land Rover retailer

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Ryan
Post #481263 11th Dec 2015 11:43am
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
I would have thought that the new engine would had a least twelve months warranty not just a couple of weeks.
I would get your friend to check the paperwork that they got when the new engine was installed. They may also like to contact your local trading standards for advice. Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #481270 11th Dec 2015 12:04pm
mick

England 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Rimini Red
I thought there was 2 years warranty on new Land Rover parts
Post #481381 11th Dec 2015 8:26pm
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
I had a new clutch etc fitted by LR as a Warranty repair at just over 3yrs old and was told the repair was covered for an additional 12 months by the dealer whom did the work DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #481385 11th Dec 2015 8:43pm
mick

England 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Rimini Red

Click image to enlarge
Post #481391 11th Dec 2015 9:03pm
ickle

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
Is that not just for parts that you actually buy - not fitted under warranty?
Post #481398 11th Dec 2015 10:17pm
derbywill

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Java Black
I used to work for a main truck dealer and anything fitted while the vehicle was under warranty ran out when the vehicles warranty ran out even if it had a engine the day before! I believe if you give a contribution to the repair ie £100 you will get the full parts and labour warranty.
So no the engine has no warranty, but try Land Rover customer services to see if they can help you

Will 2005 90 XS
1954 86'' Series 1 tilt
Post #481590 12th Dec 2015 7:01pm
randjafloat

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Although I should not admit to this, I worked for car manufacturers for many many years, including time in / running the Customer Relations departments and as a field service representative. The comment above about "parts fitted under warranty only get the balance of the vehicle warranty" is standard automotive practice and has been tested legally too so I think that trying to argue "I should have a normal parts warranty on the new engine" is a waste of your effort.

However, If the problem on the new engine is similar to the original failure, then most sensible manufacturers (with a bit of pressure sometimes!) will just pay up as they know that a repeat problem is a sign of a "manufacturing or material defect" to use the jargon and they have little or no defence if it got messy / legal.

If the engine problem is a completely different one, then it is more a question of a "goodwill" payment once out of warranty. Assuming that it isn't down to poor maintenance or abuse (no one on this forum would do that!!) then often, the extent of this financial help is down to age and mileage and repair history. Frankly, it also depends upon how well your dealer is connected to the JLR folks and how far they are prepared to push the topic with the central customer relations guys or the field service representative that looks after them. Ask the dealer's service manager who they have spoken to, whom they escalated it to in JLR and if necessary ask to meet the JLR field guy on his next visit.

Hope this helps - you can pm me if you want any more info....
Post #481629 12th Dec 2015 10:43pm
TJ101

Isle Of Man 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Hi Chris

The above post by randjafloat is spot one,, Thumbs Up and how virtual all manufacturers see their warranties

See you at the next Dtte Very Happy Tim J California F1, 75th 110 "Kermit", 50th Ann V8, 90 V8 Hybrid, 55 Series 1

Main Brian James Trailer Dealer for South West UK
Post #481653 13th Dec 2015 12:17am
CRC@LandRover
Verified Account
Verified Account

United Kingdom 
Hi chrisbowler

Thank you for your post.

I note your query and can confirm as mentioned by other forum members that any parts replaced inside of the three year manufacturers warranty will be covered until the expiration date of the warranty period. For parts replaced outside of this period, these would be subject to a two year parts warranty on the subject part.

In order to investigate the current concern with your vehicle, I would suggest raising this with the retailer in question who will be able to inspect your vehicle and advise accordingly. All of our retailers are able to review for possible post-warranty goodwill from ourselves as the manufacturer but we would first require a diagnosis to establish if the concern is in this case due to previous workmanship or is a separate concern.

Should you require any additional assistance with your concerns, please feel free to PM me with the following information;

Your full name
Telephone number
Email address
Vehicle registration
Full VIN/chassis number
Relevant Land Rover retailer

Regards

Ryan
Post #483338 18th Dec 2015 1:36pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>