↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Land Rover Customer Relations > DEALER WARRANTY POLICY ON DEFENDER 2.2 130 AFTER NEW ENGINE
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Ryan,

sorry to go off on one here and apologies if I'm asking what shouldn't be asked......

as we all know many many parts are supplied from third parties ie the engine in this case is a Ford unit. presumably if the original fit engine fails the warranty costs are picked up by Ford. Do they not warranty any replacement parts for a minimum of 12 months?

not having a go or anything but it just doesn't seem to make sense?

Thumbs Up
Post #483374 18th Dec 2015 4:19pm
CRC@LandRover
Verified Account
Verified Account

United Kingdom 
Hi Caterham

Thank you for your post.

I note your comments and would advise that whilst the engine itself may be sourced from a third party as would be the case with many other parts on the vehicle, it would be subject to the terms and conditions of the three year manufacturers warranty that Land Rover place on all of our vehicles. As such, the cost of any repairs that are required as the result of a manufacturing defect would be covered by ourselves as the vehicle manufacturer.

Regards

Ryan
Post #483376 18th Dec 2015 4:28pm
Caterham

thanks Ryan - please don't think I'm having a go at all here, just trying to understand how these things work.

so presumably in this case Ford would not have to provide more than a months warranty on a replacement engine that was installed on a 35 month old vehicle? or is it just JLR's policy not to go past month 36 and therefore even if Ford provide a further 12 months warranty this can't be effected beyond month 36.

like I say if I'm asking what I shouldn't please tell me to go away (no offense will be taken) - it's what everyone else tells me to do Smile.
Post #483377 18th Dec 2015 4:35pm
CRC@LandRover
Verified Account
Verified Account

United Kingdom 
Hi Caterham

Thank you for your post.

I would be unable to advise on the specifics regarding the vehicle in question, and can only advise as per my previous post that the three year manufacturers warranty on the vehicle as a whole, is administered by ourselves, Land Rover as the vehicle manufacturer. Any part replaced within the three year manufacturers warranty period, regardless of timing would only be covered until the end of the manufacturers warranty of the vehicle.

Regards

Ryan
Post #483380 18th Dec 2015 4:43pm
Caterham

thanks Ryan.
Post #483381 18th Dec 2015 4:45pm
chrisbowler

Ryan

Thank you for your comments. I have forwarded them to my friend and I am sure he will follow them through with the dealer.

Once again thank you.

Regards

Chris Boiwler
Post #484030 20th Dec 2015 8:56pm
JJ

United Kingdom 1987 Defender 110 V8 Petrol CSW Corris Grey
Consumer law applies here and as someone has already said the dealer should pick this up and sort it because if you have to go down the legal route ( small claims ) the chance of success is very high.

The law ( sale of goods act ) hinges on how the average person would expect the product to perform, I think if you ask 100 people in the street 100 would expect an engine to last more than a few months.

Hopefully that can all be avoided and the dealer will sort it.
Post #484041 20th Dec 2015 9:36pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
grizz

2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
After reading this you should really find out what was fitted by the dealer . And find out what the exact fault is with the vehicle .

A engine would have probably been a tall engine that is just a block and head with maybe a turbo due to oil pressure loss .

It's very rare they will fit a full power pack that will include all ancillary such as oil coolers , egg system .
Post #484073 20th Dec 2015 10:44pm
Caterham

presumably consumer law applies to the original purchase and not replacements under warranty?
Post #484114 21st Dec 2015 8:29am
JJ

United Kingdom 1987 Defender 110 V8 Petrol CSW Corris Grey
Sale and Supply of Goods Act 1994
This Act says that all products have to be of a 'satisfactory quality'. This means that they have to:
be safe
last for a reasonable amount of time
be fit for their intended purpose
have nothing wrong with them (unless the defect was noted at the time of sale)

So the acid test for this is what would the reasonable man in the street consider the life of a replacement engine to be. The warranty supplied by any manufacturer is their arbitrary length of time for marketing purposes not a legally defined period. After all they make it up to suit themselves not the consumer.

I would imagine that a satisfactory resolution will be found.
Post #484123 21st Dec 2015 9:33am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Flyingfocrs

Scotland 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
So according to the warranty if you have the replacement part fitted one day before your original 3 year warranty expires that part is only covered for 1 day.
But if it was fitted 1 day after the original warranty expires you get a 1 year warranty on the part.

Surely the part that was fitted must be covered for 12 months at least regardless on when during the warranty period it was fitted!
Post #484127 21st Dec 2015 9:48am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
That is exactly what Ryan has said, whether he means it that way or not - you should raise end of warranty claims within the last week but only get them fitted after the expiry!
Post #484294 21st Dec 2015 10:16pm
chrisbowler

By way of an update - the vehicle has been fixed - head gasket gone after 6 months life and my friend has paid 50% of the bill. LR made a 50% good will gesture.
Post #496348 25th Jan 2016 9:21pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
So they waived all their rights under the Sale of Goods Act and the "six year rule"?
Post #496813 26th Jan 2016 9:42pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12