↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Entreq snorkel
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
thor44

2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Indus Silver
@WC90: awesome looking ninety! Bow down Just for research purposes: What have you done to the suspension? How much and how is it lifted? I presume those are 255/85 R16, right? Thumbs Up

Back to the topic: Do you mean they actually create a hearable sound? I remember from driving in summer and windows down, that there is in fact coming a sound from the air intake on higher rpms. Does a snorkel amplify that to a level, that is hearable all the time? Because that would be awesome! Very Happy
Post #476619 27th Nov 2015 8:38am
Wild Card 90

England 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Indus Silver
Yes they are the 255 /85 MT´s. I have Koni Heavy Track Raids, 50 mm raised Trailmaster springs - standard duty fronts, heavy duty rear - as I tow a 3500 Kg trailer. It does have a slightly wedged stance, when lightly loaded, but not as much as the posted picture suggests. Propshafts, radius arms and bumpstops are uprgraded too, and it drives really well, even without a trailer:-).

Back to the snorkel!

The motor is stock, but I have a K&N filter (although I doubt this is a factor). At cruising speeds there isn´t much difference, but on acceleration, and deceleration, there´s a combination of hissing and throaty sucking noises that are worth turning the radio off to listen to. Occasionally just after pulling away, and when changing up a gear it makes an amusing hiccup sound, just briefly. it´s not quite sidedraught Webers on an Alfa Romeo, but pretty good for a truck! Thumbs Up 1998 Tdi 90 SW,
2008 Td4 90 SW,
2012 2.2 90 SW,
2" raised Trailmaster/Terrafirma
Heavy Track Raids, 255 MT´s,
Recaro CS´s, anorak, wellingtons

Last edited by Wild Card 90 on 27th Nov 2015 4:34pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #476641 27th Nov 2015 10:56am
thor44

Thanks Thumbs Up Well, another reason to get the snorkel. I've just been in contact with Olaf from Entreq and he confirmed the sound of the snorkel and - luckily - the official price of 498€. Seems like there is no way around but going for it. Very Happy
Post #476696 27th Nov 2015 3:07pm
Wild Card 90

Go for it. Entreq´s products are top, and you´ll enjoy the sound effects from the snorkel.... 1998 Tdi 90 SW,
2008 Td4 90 SW,
2012 2.2 90 SW,
Post #476713 27th Nov 2015 4:29pm
Wild Card 90

As promised, a picture of the plumbing for the Nakatakenga snorkel. It is basically just a constant diameter flexi-pipe all the way from the snorkel to the air filter. The tube connecting the side intake to the heater box is similarly simple. The original plumbing that it replaced looks way more complicated.
If it makes a difference to the performance, I really don´t know.

Stephen

Click image to enlarge
 1998 Tdi 90 SW,
2008 Td4 90 SW,
2012 2.2 90 SW,
Post #478124 1st Dec 2015 9:33pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Thank you. Thumbs Up

I was interested to see how the pipe from wing-top to the filter housing was routed. I hadn't thought of doubling back like that, but it is the obvious answer.
Post #478202 1st Dec 2015 11:35pm
Sadi

Namibia 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 Heritage Edition SW Grasmere Green
Would be nice if one could buy the side scoop as a single item.
Post #478218 2nd Dec 2015 12:25am
Wild Card 90

I spoke to Peter at Naka, and he said they can supply the scoop seperately. It is their own product. He was curious to know why, and I couldn´t give him the answer.
Sadi, do you already have a wing top snorkel? 1998 Tdi 90 SW,
2008 Td4 90 SW,
2012 2.2 90 SW,
Post #478339 2nd Dec 2015 2:55pm
Sadi

Namibia 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 Heritage Edition SW Grasmere Green
Hi Wild Card,

I would like to feed a bit extra fresh air into the side facing air intake - on the RHD model.

Thank you very much for your enquiry to Naka - I already purchased quite a bit from them via site sponsor 4x4 Overlander - and will watch the involved sites to see when the article appears.

Just heard that my long awaited Heritage arrived at the dealership today - and was sent for a few off-road goodies to be installed ...

Thanks again.
Post #478348 2nd Dec 2015 3:31pm
thor44

Hi guys,

after Santa finally brought me my long awaited snorkel I was now able to fit it and take it on a test drive.

First of all I have to say, that the quality of the Entreq stuff is really extraordinary. Fitting was a piece of cake and everything came into place quite nicely, especially after paying attention to some special tips and tricks Mr. Böcking from Entreq Engineering told me earlier by mail. The quick and easy support directly from the manufacturer was surely a plus for the Entreq snorkel.

As the fitted snorkel looked already great on my Landy I couldn't wait to hear the new hissing sound Wild Card 90 told me about. And after driving up the nearby mountains I can definitely confirm the new sound coming from the big black tube. No empty promises in this regard. Thanks WC90! Thumbs Up
Now I'm already longing to know how much better it has to sound on warm summer days when the Defender has already been gleefully sucking in all the air it was able to get hold of. Very Happy

At the end a picture of my Landy with the fitted snorkel on top of our unfortunately snow free mountains (apart from the ski resort in the top left corner, of course). Have some nice holidays and a happy new year! Smile

Click image to enlarge
Post #485661 26th Dec 2015 10:28pm
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Thor, it looks Thumbs Up.
Happy you have been able to first hand experience that Entreq quality indeed is in a league of its own, often copied, rarely equalled.
Question. Did you just fit the Entreq "schnorchel", or did you also install Olaf's "Airflow-Kit II" which makes it a real waterproof installation? And which, very importantly, provides an unrestricted airflow to the airfilter box, as opposed to the standard Puma air intake pipe which is shockingly narrow at some point. Here is the link to what I mean, which works for both Puma 2.4 and later 2.2.
http://www.entreq.de/expedition-gear/erhoh...-tdci.html
I have the Airflow Kit II in my 2016 upgrades planning together with other (brand new) Entreq reliability items. Won't go as far as the schnorchel myself as personally I won't have any benefit from that, but the Airflow Kit II should further optimize the air mass supplied to the turbo which then will further slightly improve the compressed airflow to my already installed Entreq intercooler and SS pipes.
Ultimate goal is to maximise the volume of as cool as possible air mass supplied to the engine, which should optimise the combustion process and keep summer engine temperatures under control when calling for power. I guess I may gain a few HP/Kw in the process, that will be my kind of "tune without a tune" then. Laughing
Eric You never actually own a Defender. You merely look after it for the next generation.
http://youtu.be/yVRlSsJwD0o
https://youtu.be/vmPr3oTHndg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GtzTT9Pdl0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABqKPz28e6A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLZ49Jce_n0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvAsz_ilQYU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8tMHiX9lSw
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dxwjPuHIV7I
https://vimeo.com/201482507
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSixqL0iyHw
Post #485742 27th Dec 2015 7:55am
thor44

Thanks Eric! Smile Unfortunately as my budget was limited, I had to go with the snorkel (or raised air intake) itself for the moment. The airflow kit looks extremely interesting and it would definitely be a valuable extra to add to the air intake system. I'm not sure how much power you'll gain after such modifications, but giving the motor plenty of air to breath is never the wrong thing to do! I hope to read of your results here on defender2.net in the upcoming future and maybe I'll have to get the airflow kit as well after hearing from your then unrestricted system. Thumbs Up
Post #485753 27th Dec 2015 10:16am
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
I fitted the entreq airflow kit(s) - the RAI may be in the wish list next year

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #485757 27th Dec 2015 10:21am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
ericvv wrote:
And which, very importantly, provides an unrestricted airflow to the airfilter box, as opposed to the standard Puma air intake pipe which is shockingly narrow at some point.

...but the Airflow Kit II should further optimize the air mass supplied to the turbo which then will further slightly improve the compressed airflow to my already installed Entreq intercooler and SS pipes.

Eric - if the turbo is matched to the current "restricted" trunking, then I'm not sure how you can gain anything; or are you saying that jlr over-spec'd the current turbo and there is headroom for improvements.

Any actual figures you have would be useful to share.
Post #485775 27th Dec 2015 11:39am
Pilgrimmick

United Kingdom 
For purely functional purposes, there are very few, if any, snorkels that can beat the Southdown. The pipe passes through the top of the wing and a flexi pipe joins it in the engine compartment. Then straight to the filter.
Only two connections (either end of th single flexi pipe) between the filter and the top of the windscreen.
The filter needs to be sealed if using it underwater as the body is not waterproof, otherwise a filter can be fitted to the top of the snorkel in place of the rotational head.
Post #485787 27th Dec 2015 12:10pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>