↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Carling switch wiring for spot lights.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
dave18

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Portofino Red
Carling switch wiring for spot lights.
Hey peeps, Wiring up somer stuff with Carling switches, One of these is my spot lights, How I have had them in the past is On, Off , On with main beam only. So I wanted to do the same so I got a Carlin On Off On switch.

So reading the supplied Pin ID from Mudstuff who I got it from it has 2 Power Outs but only 1 Power in!!! For me this is the oposite of what I want as I want 2 Power In, One from Main beam and another from a constant 12v source then 1 Power Out. So can I just swap the Ins for the Outs ?? or would that not work ???
Post #475028 22nd Nov 2015 1:46am
jasong4110

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 G4 LE Java Black
Yes it should work as the switch does not contain any diodes, however the only issue you may have is with the switch illumination. Unless that is on another feed.

Jason
Post #475042 22nd Nov 2015 4:09am
PaulMc

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 110 2.5 TD HT Arles Blue
Wiring the switch 'backwards' - so that it has 2 x inputs, with 1 x output will work OK - except for the Orange tell-tale, which will be illuminated whenever the input on terminal 3 is live.

This particular Carling switch, when used as an on-off-on switch, only illuminates the Orange tell-tale when the top of the switch is pressed to 'on' (when the output is on terminal 3), in the bottom 'on' position (when the output is on terminal 1), the Orange tell-tale is not illuminated -

Terminal 1 is Output 1
Terminal 2 is Input
Terminal 3 is Output 2
Terminal 7 is the earth for both internal LEDs
Terminal 8 is the sidelight feed for the illumination window

To reverse the switch's operation and have the Orange tell-tale work in both output positions, you have to modify the switch's internals, so that the tell-tale LED is fed from pin 2.

Terminal 1 is input 1
Terminal 2 is output
Terminal 3 is input 2
Terminal 7 is earth
Terminal 8 is sidelight feed

How to do the modification was detailed in a post, here - http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=80746

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Paul.
1989 Arles Blue 2.5TD 110 Hardtop
1999 Epsom Green Discovery II 4.0 V8i 'XS'
Post #475140 22nd Nov 2015 3:08pm
LiftedDisco

Use the switch as intended (one power in and two power out) and use the power out sides to activate relays.

That way, you need a pair of relays so that your 'actual power' for the spot lights comes via a dedicated supply to the spot light only relay or, fed from the main beam feed, for the relay that runs the spots when on with your main beam.

I'd have to scratch my head to do the necessary drawing but that's the proper way to do it as it keeps the loads away from your switches and the inside of the dashboard - it's never good when your smoke starts to escape from the wires!
Post #475617 23rd Nov 2015 10:09pm
PaulMc

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 110 2.5 TD HT Arles Blue
Even though these Carling switches are rated for switching 20A (a pair of 55W lamps will draw just over 9A at 12V), I don't think that the OP or anyone else, was advocating using the switch without a relay.

Using the switch 'as intended' with one input and two outputs, doesn't achieve anything, it just uses an extra relay and more wiring.

Using it with two inputs and one output to a single relay, is a valid way to use a switch like this.

The main issue with this particular Carling switch is that the Orange tell-tale is internally wired to only one of the outputs.

So, even if it is used as one input and two outputs, the Orange tell-tale will only illuminate in one of the 'on' positions (the switch really should have had a separate input for the Orange tell-tale).

The internal modification detailed on LR4x4 addresses this problem - but, only works if using the switch as two inputs and one output.

. Paul.
1989 Arles Blue 2.5TD 110 Hardtop
1999 Epsom Green Discovery II 4.0 V8i 'XS'
Post #475639 23rd Nov 2015 10:58pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1