↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Tyre question (sorry!)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
SJM

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Tyre question (sorry!)
Ok, I know this has probably been asked 100's of times, and I have been looking over past threads to get some ideas, but what is latest view on tyre choices please.

I've got a Puma 90 XS as my everyday car. Mostly used on normal roads, but does go off road for a bit of fun/ camping with my kids etc.. Did an organised off road weekend earlier this year and car was faultless, but this was relatively dry conditions. Now winter is coming I'm planning to do a few "pay & play" days etc. and don't want to get stuck! Plus I've wanted a Defender for years, and now I've got one I want to have the full Tonka toy fun!

BFG AT or MT seem like a popular choice. Like the look of Cooper ST Discoverer but if they're noisy then I'm not so keen. Any advice gratefully received... Thumbs Up

I'm assuming as well that changing tyres won't invalidate my warranty!! Neutral
Post #41976 5th Oct 2010 4:31pm
Apynala

Morocco 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
Hello,

For me, either you can fit A/T like Bridgestone or Pirelli (better on wet road than BF and quieter) or you can take steel rims and MT for mud days.

Thumbs Up
Post #41978 5th Oct 2010 4:59pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
If you want a good AT tyre - BFG all the way, great wear, handling and ability. Mike
Post #41980 5th Oct 2010 5:06pm
heinrichnel

Namibia 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
BFG all the way! Only problem I have with my ATs, they dont wear quick enough, I really want a set of MTs, but cant get them until the ATs are done!
Post #41990 5th Oct 2010 7:01pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
I think mine are on 60 or 70k now Thumbs Up Mike
Post #41991 5th Oct 2010 7:06pm
heinrichnel

Namibia 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
exactly my problem! I have only done 30 000 km on mine and except for a couple of pieces of rubber missing on the side lugs, they look still brand new!
Post #41993 5th Oct 2010 7:15pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
BFG MT's (the new type looks good too) or Goodyear MTR's
Post #41997 5th Oct 2010 7:33pm
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
BFG AT FTW Thumbs Up
Post #41998 5th Oct 2010 7:37pm
BIGFOG

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Can anyone tell me what the BFG MTs are like on the road, I love the look of them, but do a lot of motorway miles, up to 30,000 a year, so am concerned about road rumble and handling. Clearly the ATs would be a more sensible choice... Any feedback would be great!
Post #42004 5th Oct 2010 8:19pm
Michael S

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Tonga Green
Have to say two sets of wheels and tyres are the best way to go. My Defender is both work and daily driver. I currently have standard alloys and tyres I use spring and summer and when it becomes too much for them I put on LR HD rims with XZLs I bought from Paddock spares 5 years ago for my Td5 and they are still less than half worn. The difference in fuel consumption is noticablably greater with the XZLs and the handling noticably more "drifty".

Michael
Post #42008 5th Oct 2010 8:48pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
^^^ What Michael said... i run 2 sets on my 110, some 255 BFG MT's and some 235 general TR's for the dry stuff.

The MT's arn't quite as good on the road as the TR's, but not too bad (XZL's are a bit worse than the MTs but they are a more agressive tyre, and have a thinner profile than the BF's)

My old company car 110 has 235/85 MT's on it. they're slightly noisier than AT's, but not as noisy as say, a firstone SAT or an old goodyear hi-miler extra grp like the Army used to used on their series 3's.
Post #42009 5th Oct 2010 9:13pm
110SEB

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I'm running 235/85 BFG ATs and amdelighted by them. Brilliant on extended motorway milesdry and wet and brilliant off the tarmac. I personally prefer the look of XZLs but have so many miles left in the ATs that changing is not worth thinking about yet.

Quiet for such big tyres, strong, look right and good all round if finances prevent having 10 wheels knocking about!
Post #42021 5th Oct 2010 10:32pm
SJM

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Thanks all. Having read other threads, bits in magazines and replies here then it looks like BFG AT is probably best for me. Now to decide if I get a spare set of wheels or just swap the tyres Wink
Post #42040 6th Oct 2010 8:34am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
BIGFOG wrote:
Can anyone tell me what the BFG MTs are like on the road, I love the look of them, but do a lot of motorway miles, up to 30,000 a year, so am concerned about road rumble and handling. Clearly the ATs would be a more sensible choice... Any feedback would be great!

I've done 200k miles in my Disco2 on 265/75 x 16 BFG MTs (200k miles = two sets of tyres only) 99% of which was on the road and now wouldn't even think of using a different tyre, they are so good. They are noiser (slightly) and probably provide a little less grip on wet tarmac than a road-biased tyre, but overall they simply cannot be beaten, they are the best all-round tyre I have yet come across and have never left me wanting.

I have 285/75 x 16 KL71s on the Puma at the moment (they were on it when I bought it) and these also seems to be pretty impressive. They do seem to wear quicker that the BFG MTs, and are of course unidirectional which is a minor pain. When they wear out it will probably be 285 BFG MTs for the Puma, too.
Post #42188 7th Oct 2010 1:30pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
I know everyone says BFG, but I'm running general grabber AT2's in standard LR size, 235/85 and they have been fantastic in mud, rock, soft sand, gravel, wet roads etc. They are also VERY quiet when driving on road. I switched to these from BFGs for cost reasons really. I can get AT2's for £100 each fully fitted and balanced, which is far cheaper than the BFGs, and I have seen no reduction in performance or longevity. I've done 10,000 miles on my most recent set and they are barely worn at all, despite long motorway driving in europe in very hot weather with a fully loaded vehicle, and several thousand desert miles in temperatures of 50 degrees C, mountain tracks with sharp rocks, very soft sand etc. I'd recommend them to anyone.

Also worth a look are Maxxis mudders. The tread is quite aggressive, but they are also v good on road, and cant be beaten in muddy conditions, they're outstanding for the price. A little louder than the At2's on the road, but for muddy conditions they truly are excellent. Last year at Newark our 90 was one of the only vehicles which didnt get stuck in the bomb holes (before they flattened them out) and it wasnt driver ability, it was the tyres. Kind of depends on where you do most of your driving but the only reason I didnt fit Maxxis to the puma was due to having to do a lot of m-way driving through europe
Post #42395 11th Oct 2010 11:30am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>