↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > eBay & Bargain Spots > A bit cheap for LED head lights?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
excossack

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
A bit cheap for LED head lights?
Spotted these.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAND-ROVER-DEFEN...Sw~gRV7B0o 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Econet Station 48 no clock
Post #466856 26th Oct 2015 10:47pm
tonyhedge

2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Montalcino Red
That well known Litetruck (sic) brand! Not E marked. Rolling Eyes That's not a dent, it's a rivet. That's not a dent, it's a rivet. That's not ... oh! That is a dent!

2014 90 XS SW
1997 Discovery 300TdiS (retired to stud)
1966 Series IIA 88" (now my son's)
2001 Astra - I need something to go and buy the parts when the others are off the road!
Post #466860 26th Oct 2015 10:50pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Would an MOT check for that? 2016 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #466862 26th Oct 2015 10:51pm
dave18

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Portofino Red
Dont think so but VOSA / Police would notice a mile away as it kind of sticks out there is no writing on the lense
Post #466870 26th Oct 2015 11:25pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Forget the eBay blurb, those lights are ILLEGAL to use in the UK or Europe.

Want to invalidate your insurance if you have an accident especially if lights are called into question?

Try googling Lite Truck headlights and see what you can find out about them. Guess what, takes you to Truck Lites, a case of trading off a respected reputable business name?

IP rating of Lite Truck is given as IP67 the genuine Truck Lites are rated at IP69K which is vastly superior to IP67.

The profit margin they are getting on those lights is rather large as we have been offered them from mainland China!

If you want a set of genuine Truck Lites, currently the best price available will be from Peter at Nakatanenga. Am not sure if he has any left but worthwhile dropping him an email to find out.

Brendan
Post #466880 27th Oct 2015 1:22am
Merlin

United Kingdom 
FYI they are here:
http://www.sp-4x4.com/default.asp
Merlin
Post #467054 27th Oct 2015 6:27pm
Tiger

2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Java Black
These are 'E' Marked and less than £200

http://www.sp-4x4.com/DEFENDER_LED_HEADLIG...chrome.htm
Post #467057 27th Oct 2015 6:33pm
Enid_Puceflange

Scotland 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Baltic Blue
I love the look of those black ones on that website My confidence has been writing cheques that my abilities can't cash for years.
Post #467058 27th Oct 2015 6:38pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Cut and paste from both links above? Advertisements are identical apart from light output. Same seller or plagiarism? Whistle

"We have been testing these out and had them fitted for over a year now to our own defender which we use mostly on the road and a friends defender who uses it mostly off road and they have performed without fault and really been a transformation both in the looks of the land rover and also the light output at night.........Unlike other cheaper made LED headlights these do put out an output to match or exceed those of the much more expensive branded items such as the JW speaker or Trucklite."

"We have been testing these out and had them fitted for over a year now to our own defender which we use mostly on the road and a friends defender who uses it mostly off road and they have performed without fault and really been a transformation both in the looks of the land rover and also the light output at night.......Unlike other cheaper made LED headlights these do put out an output to match or exceed those of the much more expensive branded items such as the JW speaker or Trucklite." If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!

Last edited by K9F on 27th Oct 2015 6:55pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #467064 27th Oct 2015 6:53pm
Tiger

2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Java Black
If you did a 'SEARCH' you'd see Whistle Laughing Laughing Laughing
Post #467065 27th Oct 2015 6:54pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Good point but almost lost the will to live when I saw the adverts were almost identical. Blimey two years of testing with two different sets of lights for him and a mate or did they test the different variants of the same brand, whatever that may be ?? Got my fully e-marked lights with IP69K which the latter was the most important factor, not lumens! I spent a significant amount on a set of LED headlights that 'professed' to be IP67. Turned out they were nowhere near that standard. On the face of it these appear both cheap and misleading perhaps, piggybacking themselves on the name of a better well known and proven brand?

Big Cry Thumbs Up Whistle If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!

Last edited by K9F on 28th Oct 2015 10:05am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #467066 27th Oct 2015 6:57pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Sorry but I am confused!

Now are those lights the same lights, eBay and main website?

If so why the difference about the E mark?

It would appear that they are fully aware that headlights have to be E marked to be fully road legal.

So why sell headlights that are not E marked and try and fool potential customers that they are legal by using comments such as they are not E marked but will pass a UK MOT.?? They are ILLEGAL to be fitted to a road going vehicle in the UK.

Now the E marked version are £199.95 + VAT or £239.95 including VAT. I wonder why they do not show the price including VAT.

Now if you look carefully at the photograph which are apparently E marked you will see the letters DOT. Now DOT is for the USA Department of Transport approval for lights to be used in the States. To the best of my knowledge a single headlight can NOT be both E marked and DOT approved at the same time. American headlights have a different beam pattern to the European headlights as they are allowed to shine up higher to pick out the overhead gantry signs which are more common place in the States then in Europe.

Reputable brands selling globally will have two versions of their headlights, one which is DOT approved and one which will be E marked.

That is my understanding of the markings.

Now it could just be carelessness and they have posted up a photograph of the wrong version! However they appear to be out of stock of the E marked version according to their website

If people want a cheaper version of a LED headlight my suggestion would be to contact Peter at Nakatanenga as he was offering some at £250 a pair including VAT and delivery
Post #467152 27th Oct 2015 11:25pm
Likeomg

2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
for LED headlights, thats probably the price they should be...

i'm big into racing mountain bikes, about 3 years ago i asked a sponsor for a new set of lights, they were top spec hope ones (about £450) this year i decided to get some new ones as technology has moved on, went to a friends shop, asked what he is running, £30 chinese LED's he also has the new hope stuff in but is selling none of it, side by side the £30 chinese ones outperform the superior 'made in UK' £300+ LED i get 2 hours easy out of them been out in the wet and everything.

okay there not E-marked but I'm not going to pay 10x as much to get inferior LED that has a "E" on it..

give it another year and LED prices will probably be 1/5th again.
Post #467169 28th Oct 2015 12:59am

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Belize Green
I'd happily pay 10x as much as a Chinese product for one that's made in the uk, or anywhere rather than China. But that is a personal thing and I can understand why some people can live with buying cheap replicas (which may work well for a while) from China if money is more important to them than morals. I run Hope R4 and R8 on my mtb by the way, I very much like the fact that they're made less than ten miles from where I live and that they not only function superbly, but are beautifully constructed too!
Post #467171 28th Oct 2015 1:10am
Likeomg

2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
to be honest, factory location isn't as important as quality and brand integrity

i have numerous hope parts that have been destroyed, we have a local rider in the lakes sponsored by hope, he is always going through wheel sets but to the public 'there the best wheels on the market...' i also have numerous shimano / sram parts destroyed...

even have replacement carbon yolk linkage for a very expensive high scoring enduro/all mountain race bike.

it's not the fact that i couldn't afford the more expensive lights, its the principle of it the chinese ones perform as well as if not better than lights that are 10x the price..
Post #467173 28th Oct 2015 1:30am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>