↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > eBay & Bargain Spots > A bit cheap for LED head lights?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Belize Green
Likeomg wrote:
to be honest, factory location isn't as important as quality and brand integrity

I agree entirely, the fact the they are local is a nice bonus should I ever have to take advantage of their legendary after sales and warranty.

Likeomg wrote:
i have numerous hope parts that have been destroyed, we have a local rider in the lakes sponsored by hope, he is always going through wheel sets but to the public 'there the best wheels on the market...' i also have numerous shimano / sram parts destroyed...

I don't think Hope have ever been touted as the best on the market, Chris King, Tune and others are more than twice the price and often beat them in group tests etc. They are however superbly designed products which work well, look good, are entirely British made and are reasonably priced compared with some of the boutique US and european brands. Which is why i choose to run their products on my bikes.

Likeomg wrote:
it's not the fact that i couldn't afford the more expensive lights, its the principle of it the chinese ones perform as well as if not better than lights that are 10x the price..

I wasn't suggesting that for a moment mate, I was sympathising with the fact that many people will choose the cheaper Chinese option when presented with two products whose function seems very similar but whose price are vastly different. Which relates to the original topic which I suppose we should revert to! I will never knowingly buy a Chinese made product for many reasons, but unfortunately many will.
Post #467210 28th Oct 2015 10:25am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
^^Me neither!^^ Thumbs Up

I also don't mind paying a little extra and supporting local business rather than buy off the internet. At least you also get to view before you buy which as stated I don't mind paying for.

Many British companies and innovators of great products suffer as a result of copies of their designs from the far-eastern imports.

Part of the Closing Statement from Matt Lee....

Hi

Just like to thank all long term customers for supporting and dealing with us over the past 25 years, but due to overseas manufacturing and thoughtless companies copying, the original Mach 5 wheel production is over!

We have had great pleasure from many satisfied customers, including James Bonds tv crew from Skyfall.

Unfortunately in today's world, people have no feelings or respect and don't appreciate what goes into design and development, then production, which is another story!

Another good point from Brendan....

leeds wrote:
We see many copies of original ideas and the copies and copies of copies are normally in the race to be the cheapest in the market place. What happens is normally quality suffers. Brendan
 If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #467211 28th Oct 2015 10:34am

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Belize Green
K9F wrote:
Many British companies and innovators of great products suffer as a result of copies of their designs from the far-eastern imports.

Indeed mate, including one company dear to our hearts here, does anyone recognise the Chinese made Land Wind X7 for example?!

Click image to enlarge
Post #467215 28th Oct 2015 10:47am
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Post #467446 29th Oct 2015 6:04am
Tiger

2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Java Black
I think the point is, it's not a Ewok, it's got nothing to do with Land Rover.

It's a copy, they stole the design and made their own version.

Same as Mini

Same as G wagon copy

Click image to enlarge

Humvee Copy

Click image to enlarge

Porsche Copy

Click image to enlarge

Lotus Copy

Click image to enlarge

etc.
Post #467456 29th Oct 2015 9:02am
ppad

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
Brendan, I'm curious about this reputable wholesaler's product .

http://www.britpart.com/all-parts/da6282/

which a) advertises > Certification - DOT & E-mark.
and b) doesn't mention IP at all

So, are we sure that a product cannot be DOT and E? Sold the much modified 110 2.8, in Oz
Brought the 90 home from Switzerland ...
Post #469534 4th Nov 2015 9:55pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Certain lights such as brake lights etc may well be DOT and E marked.

However I can not see one single headlamp having both DOT and E Marked on it. Reason being that the beam pattern of a DOT approved head light has a different (higher) beam pattern then an E marked one.

Yes a light manufacturer may well have two versions of the same headlight one variation with the higher beam pattern DOT approved and one variation being E marked.

As for that particular Britpart advert, does the person responsible for writing the advert really understand the difference between DOT and E marked?

As for the missing IP rating, what can I say??

I doubt if that advert was proof read by anybody.

Now what is Row (sic) Lumens?

Why no current rating for high beam on 12 volts? Only have high beam on 24v??

We have just got back from driving a vehicle with DOT lights on and they certainly had a much higher 'kick' of lights which is apparently to pick up the overhead direction boards.

We have found a reputable light manufacturer who had E approved lights which were ILLEGAL to use on the road. Simple reason being someone forgot to get the lens engraved with the E mark. No E mark on lens then illegal to use on the road despite having past the tests and paperwork in place. The lights have to be physically marked with the approval mark. Yes people make mistakes!

Brendan
Post #469583 4th Nov 2015 11:55pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12