↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Which Spare Wheel Carrier?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Print this entire topic · 
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Which Spare Wheel Carrier?
I have decided to purchase a spare wheel carrier. The reason for this is that I am fed up with turning up the radio volume to drown out the noise of the rear door every time I hit a pothole. I've experimented by removing the spare wheel which has confirmed my suspicions about the cause of the rear door rattle.

So the question is which spare wheek carrier do I buy? The Mantec costs £238 whilst the Nakatanenga is £560. I'd love to know what other owners have bought and why - in essence what are the main differences, both in quality and operation?
Post #468388 1st Nov 2015 7:26pm
JAY BOY

Wales 
I have the Mantec but i'm not that impressed as its still bumps and knocks over pot holes even after spending a number of hours trying to rectify this problem.
Post #468392 1st Nov 2015 7:36pm
Hairysteve

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Barolo Black
I have the Nakatanenga, brilliant build quality, stainless build so will last, took a little bit of tweaking to get the setup correct. They are a little more expensive than others but for me the difference is complimented by all the benefits. Wish list is that release bumperettes to compliment them as would like the extra protection.
Post #468396 1st Nov 2015 7:45pm
ian series 1

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
I brought this one, and have no complaints whatsoever.
Got it from these guys,

Not sure if this link works?

SP 4X4 LTD 0151 4254743

Home > DEFENDER 90/110 > ACCESSORIES >

DEFENDER 90 110 SWING AWAY SPARE WHEEL CARRIER

Alternative Views:

Our Price: £119.95 Exc VAT

Product Code: SP132
Qty: Add to cart

Add To Wish List

Description

Take the stress off your door and hinges by fitting this heavy duty swing-away spare wheel carrier that puts the weight onto your chassis instead.

This swings with the door as you open the door. Unlike others where you need to swing the wheel carrier and then the door seperately

UK made, Heavy duty swing-away spare wheel carrier to fit all defenders from 1984-2002. This is made from heavy gauge steel tube with a quality second to none.
To ensure this part lasts for life, self lubricating nylon bushes are used within the hinge parts, not only making sure its swings with the door smoothly but to also make it last. Removing the problem of the unit rattling on the back door, a solid nylon plastic piston is used which is extremely tough, doesn't rattle and again has self lubricating properties. We have found this to be the most effective and reliable method of allowing the little bit of movement required for the carrier to slide when the door is opened and also to damp it when it is in the closed position.
Unlike other spare wheel carriers, this comes complete with new OEM wheel nuts so you don’t have to bother with your old rusted ones which would otherwise let this new shiny part down!
To finish it off, this wheel carrier is plastic coated for both durability and looks. The full fitting kit is supplied included every nut and bolt you need to fit, full illustrated instructions are also included to aid a speedyreserved.Built with Volusion 80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Wanted, Forward Control Anything considered.
Post #468400 1st Nov 2015 7:55pm
Cetane

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Galway Green
Hairysteve wrote:
I have the Nakatanenga, brilliant build quality, stainless build so will last, took a little bit of tweaking to get the setup correct. They are a little more expensive than others but for me the difference is complimented by all the benefits. Wish list is that release bumperettes to compliment them as would like the extra protection.

Seconded. I fitted one today. Excellent piece of kit. Much better than the rest IMHO.
Post #468475 1st Nov 2015 10:25pm
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
If you're looking at the Mantec one, Flatdog are doing them for £216 including delivery if you call them and tell them you've seen it in LRO. They're also claiming to fit them for free, and they're not a million miles away from "North Notts".
Post #468491 1st Nov 2015 10:51pm
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Hello discomog

I fitted the MANTEC carrier and for the price I'm impressed....£246 (INC VAT)
http://www.keithgott.co.uk/parts_accessories_mantec.html

Observations:

1. Check your rear door first, even with the current spare off, make sure it hasn't broken 'it's back'
with any internal bracing elements cracked. Also check your hinges aren't too worn and under any
(even reduced) loading will bring back the problem you are trying to solve.

2. I installed the MANTEC making only a few 'modification' on the way, changed all nuts and bolts for stainless steel,
and added 3 neoprene 'gaskets' one at each pivot points, (mid-way body 'rail' and cross member) and one larger gasket
between the 'spread plate' and the rear door. I did this to prevent bolting painted metal against painted metal, 'cushioning' these elements and hopefully prevention corrosion trigger points.

3. I also experimented and added large nylon washers at the pivot points to 'shim out' exactly the assembly.

4. The overall effect is tight and slows down the operation of the rear door, currently adding a rear gas strut
to improve the action of the rear door is on hold.

5. Last modification was to add the spacer / adapter for the wheel and my security feature.

Good Luck...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html

Last edited by X4SKP on 2nd Nov 2015 11:09am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #468497 1st Nov 2015 10:56pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I have the Safari Equipment Single Pivot Carrier. I was fortunate enough to bag it second hand from a fellow forum member. Been fitted for a couple of years, silent, simple and withstands the test of time with regards to form, function and finish.

Click image to enlarge
 If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #468499 1st Nov 2015 11:04pm
jomara

Scotland 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
+1 for the Nakatenga stainless carrier Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge
 2014 110 2.2TDCi XS Station wagon
1971 Bowler Tomcat 88 4.2 V8 Auto
2022 110 250D XS
Post #468512 1st Nov 2015 11:35pm
LRmud

Scotland 1989 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Baltic Blue
Just putting my order in for one from Safari Equip.
£280 in galv finish, with mount for High Lift Jack.

http://www.safari-equip.co.uk/shop/index.p...image/200/

Also, see this thread for more info

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic37369....el+carrier --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1989 Defender 90
Toyota Aygo & Honda FR-V
Post #468530 2nd Nov 2015 2:10am
leeds

United Kingdom 
Do I have to declare an interest? Razz

First check your door for any cracks or worn hinges. You will have to remove rear door card to check for cracks.

There are broadly speaking two types of swing away wheel carriers with prices ranging from just over a £100 to almost a £1,000

Type 1 are the more expensive ones broadly called single pivot wheel carriers, these basically bolt onto the rear cross member, which might require some holes enlarging. These are the more expensive ones and vary in price from about £430-1,000. Makes in increasing price are Safari Equip, Nakatanenga and Alisport/Sonic. Nakatanenga have a wider range of models available in single pivot then the other two makes.

Type 2 are the more traditional type which require drilling of the bodywork. These vary in price from about £130 up to about £350 depending what options you go for. Typical makes in the UK are Britpart, Mantec and Safari Equip. Safari Equip have the widest range of options available in the traditional swing away wheel carriers.

There may well be other makers as well.

Personally I have no experience of the Britpart or Mantec wheel carriers. These appear to have their mounting brackets to be short and close to the rear door hinge lines. They appear to use a piston/cylinder as the middle hinge. I must admit I personally do not like the idea of the short brackets and do not like the 'squeak' I have heard from the piston on these models.

The Safari Equip factory is close to us and I have one of their standard wheel carriers fitted to our red 110 for at least 8 years and it has been modified to take a big HF aerial. This uses longer brackets with pivot points further away from the rear door hinge line. The middle hinge is a proper grease able hinge just like the main two pivot points. SE are the only UK maker to offer various finishes such as powder coated, galvanised or galv and powder coated. Also you have options of high lift jack mount, large tyre option etc etc. price would vary from about £200-350 depending on various options. For a standard swing away wheel carrier my recommendation would be Safari Equip.

Single pivot wheel carrier from Safari Equip is about £430 is made from mild steel. Needs the rear cross member holes enlarging for the anti crush cans. The door plate is a sliding type mechanism. One was fitted to our black 110.

The Nakatanenga one is stainless steel, only needs two holes enlarging from 8mm to 10 mm in rear cross member. The joining mechanism is two ball and sockets which can cope well with LR build tolerances. Price about £560, in my opinion probably the best swing away wheel carrier in the UK if your budget can stretch to it.

The Alisport/Sonic wheel carrier is mild steel, made in the UK and is approaching a £1,000. This wheel carrier is a two stage one in which you have to release the wheel carrier prior to opening the rear door. Not suitable if you carry passengers in the the back of your vehicle.

Hope those comments help.

Brendan
Post #468905 3rd Nov 2015 2:33am
leeds

United Kingdom 
Sorry double post. Blame it on poor net access at 39,000 ft if you like.

Will ask Martin t o get his brush and pan out.

Brendan

Last edited by leeds on 3rd Nov 2015 5:58am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #468906 3rd Nov 2015 2:37am
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
One more which is usually forgotten on here, but which is probably stronger than anything else.
The Australian Kaymar single pivot carrier. Falls in the expensive and two stage door opening category.
No holes to drill or enlarge at all in the rear cross member, and when it is in the close position it is additionally supported by its closing plate mounted at the left center side of the rear cross member. Even when it is in the open position and only supported by the single pivot cilinder, there remains zero give, zero wobble. If you want you can put an additional bike carrier with three bikes on the spare wheel, or a loaded ski carrier for that matter, the extra weight will have no effect.
Also with the Kaymar the spare wheel position is exactly the same as with the standard door carrier.
I have a Kaymar installed now for almost 6 years I think, is as good as on day 1.
As said, it is expensive, and it is a two stage opening process which I personally don't find a problem.
Eric

P.S. if anybody is interested in such Kaymar, the European importer/distributor is Outback Import in France. At the time I did contact them asking for an offer, was promptly referred to a Swiss distributor of theirs, and I bought it from them. I presume for UK or any other European country it still will work the same. Below are their contact details just in case.
www.outback-import.com
contact@outback-import.fr
+33 (0) 4 75 85 10 48

Here is the wheel carrier on Kaymar website:
http://www.kaymar.com.au/vehicles/landrover/lr_defender%20110.php

Added a few pictures to give an idea of how it looks.

First general view pic was taken only a few months ago, shows the spare wheel positioning.

Click image to enlarge

Detail of the pivoting part and mounting plate

Click image to enlarge

Detail of how it looks in the open position

Click image to enlarge
 You never actually own a Defender. You merely look after it for the next generation.
http://youtu.be/yVRlSsJwD0o
https://youtu.be/vmPr3oTHndg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GtzTT9Pdl0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABqKPz28e6A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLZ49Jce_n0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvAsz_ilQYU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8tMHiX9lSw
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dxwjPuHIV7I
https://vimeo.com/201482507
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSixqL0iyHw
Post #468912 3rd Nov 2015 5:03am
leeds

United Kingdom 
Hi Eric, not forgotten the Kaymar is not readily available in the UK. Have only seen one Kaymar on a Defender. Kaymar do a wide range of wheel carriers for more vehicles then most other manufacturers. Yes incredibly strong and they are one of the few companies who do a double wheel carrier however not sure if that is a Defender option. Price in the UK was about £1200. Devon used to import them at one stage.

Another standard type wheel carrier is made by Front Runner, however again not very common in the UK.

Brendan
Post #468917 3rd Nov 2015 6:45am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Can the Safari door be opened from the inside with a Kaymar or does the swing away have to be released from the outside first? Question If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #468936 3rd Nov 2015 9:16am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>