↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Transmission/Gearbox Rattle
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
sib

that`s what my dealer thought. they adjusted handbrake but made to no use. Noise still the same. Sib
Bath UK
1952 80 inch
1973 88 inch
2018 Morgan plus 4 narrow body
Post #2860 22nd Jul 2008 7:09pm
CFB

United Kingdom 
Update from the dealer is that the handbrake was binding, they reckon it is sorted now and the noises have stopped. Getting the paint defects done tomorrow so should have it back Friday.

Just hope they have sorted it. Andy
Post #2883 23rd Jul 2008 5:11pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
sib wrote:
that`s what my dealer thought. they adjusted handbrake but made to no use. Noise still the same.

Lucky you - was it easy to get them to resolve your paint defects? its not been that easy for me! Mike
Post #2884 23rd Jul 2008 5:17pm
CFB

United Kingdom 
The dealership (Farnell Guiseley) have been fantastic, really supportive and no quibbles over these issues. Have said that if I am not 100% satisfied with the rectification the car will be exchanged. Dealer principle got involved and has rung me regularly with updates.

Top marks to Farnell so far Bow down Andy
Post #2888 23rd Jul 2008 6:07pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mse

So what did the paint faults turn out to be. Mike
Post #2893 23rd Jul 2008 7:17pm
CFB

United Kingdom 
Missed a bit on the rear tailgate and rust had started plus a scratch on the front wing Andy
Post #2895 23rd Jul 2008 9:06pm
mse

well atleast its done

Where as for me the cracked roof paint, gutter sealant and clear bobbling is normal! Mike
Post #2896 23rd Jul 2008 9:19pm
CFB

United Kingdom 
Forgot to say it is also having a complete new roof fitted as it's warped and the paint/seal on the join is cracked. Comes as a complete unit pre-painted so the dealer reckons it's an easy bolt-on replacement Shocked Andy
Post #2897 23rd Jul 2008 9:37pm
Bosun

2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Does anyone know if a new clutch fixes the transmission rattle? The dealer says they've had some with loose bolts. No sure which bit though, disc or pressure plate.

I also have an alarming "clunk" everytime I engage the clutch under load, and poor 1st to 2nd synchro, is a new clutch likely to fix those also? Although the clunk sounds more like the diff(s) to me.

New clutch next Tuesday. Lets wait and see.

Bosun.
Post #3048 4th Aug 2008 12:07pm
Icelandy

England 1985 Defender 110 Other PU Stornoway Grey
Have just got mine back from the dealer today. Went in again with a reverberating noice when depressing the accelerator at high speed, they have replaced the rear differential with a new one and say this has fixed the noise.
I am going to take it for a drive down the A47 now to make sure the noise has gone before it goes to Devon 4x4 for its Icelandy transformation. If a job is worth doing....

Its worth doing well....

So get someone who knows what they are doing! Smile
Post #3051 4th Aug 2008 4:41pm
mse

CFB wrote:
Forgot to say it is also having a complete new roof fitted as it's warped and the paint/seal on the join is cracked. Comes as a complete unit pre-painted so the dealer reckons it's an easy bolt-on replacement Shocked

Where did the roof warp? not along the front sloping section?

Ive swopped many a defender roof on older ones - its not that much of a big deal - admittely none have been on a CSW only vans and truck cabs.

Shed load of bolts in the inner gutter, bolts across the top of the windscreen obviously wires, seal and headlining remove and rear door bolts oh and trip on the xs

I wouldnt want the dealer to remove the roof though it will probably leak for the rest of time - im wondering if thats what they will do with mine - if/when lr get on to this section of my claim Mike
Post #3056 4th Aug 2008 5:10pm
Bosun

2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Regarding the roof. I'd be inclined to live with it if it's not leaking, rather than have the dealer fit a new one, especially if it looks OK inside. There seems to be a knack to fitting/refitting trim, and dealers just don't seem to have it. I guess the guy's at Lode Lane that fit it every day, get used to it's little foibles, whereas dealer fitters don't. I'd also be inclined to concentrate on the mechanical gremlins, there seem to be enough of them to keep anyone busy. Shame, as I thought this Defender was going to be the dogs doo dahs.
Bosun.
Post #3064 5th Aug 2008 7:04am
The Badger

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Clutch rattle
Ok, so I have the same problem, I can tell you a few things on the 07 that clonk are are not this clutch noise:

• If you get a clonk noise on over run as you are accelerating and shifting between gears it is the exhaust hitting the hand brake drum. I know this because I have replaced my drum brake with an X-Brake and now it does not happen. Had to remove the exhaust to remove the drum because it was that bloody close.

On the clutch noise though, put the sucker in first and let it crawl sounds like a bag of spanners in the clutch.
Press the clutch down fully, and let it up, right at the top of the clutch you get this rattle. This only happens when the engine is running though, if it is off you do not get the rattle.

I crawled under it and let my mate try it just so I could locate exactly where the noise is coming from and it is pretty much exactly where the clutch is?
Post #3070 5th Aug 2008 5:07pm
CFB

United Kingdom 
It's back in the dealers this week for further investigation, will let you know what they come up with. Andy
Post #3073 5th Aug 2008 5:23pm
DefenderKen

United Kingdom 
CFB - Interested in your clutch problem, did the dealer fix it i.e. was it a binding handbrake?

Back from a 1200 mile tour of Scotland and after long runs in 6th when coming to a halt I'm getting the clattering noise as it comes to rest.

Will speak to dealer next week but as this sounds like the exact problem you had I was wondering if you were now all fixed?

Ken Stornoway Grey 90 XS
Focus C-Max Tdci
Kawasaki ZX6R C6f
Post #3456 29th Aug 2008 7:23pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>