↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Slick shift tdci?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 7 <1234567>
Print this entire topic · 
bear100

Wales 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Glad my old post has been resurrected! be nice to see how this pans out! 2016 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 TDV8
2010 110 XS Utility 2.4TDCI
2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 (gone)
2007 Discovery HSE TDV6 (gone)
1993 110 csw 200 tdi (gone)
1994 90 HT 300 tdi (gone)
1994 discovery 300tdi (gone)
90 hybrid 3.5 v8 (gone)
Range rover bobtail 3.5 v8 (gone)
Post #555541 12th Aug 2016 12:07pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
driver

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
I fitted one of these kits as part of doing a number of improvements towards a better gear change on my 07 defender 90,
the changes done were,

Slick Shift kit
New gear box oil
glued the weights on gear stick
fitted the 2 location bushes to the gear stick housing

My defender has done 65,000 miles to date with the normal gear change issues that are listed in numerous other posts on this forum,
Vibrating and rattling gear lever, snagging from 1st to 2nd and some times when changing in to 3rd, and being blocked out of first gear some times all in all this spoiled the driving experience of an otherwise great vehicle so when I saw this product advertised I thought I would give it a try.
After reading the posts on the other improvements listed above it seemed a perfect opportunity to include them as well so after stripping out all the carpet and trim the first job was to change the gear box oil as per the Martin K's post.
The access to the filler plug was very easy without the transmission tunnel cover in place and took only a few minutes to do the oil change,
The old oil was very dark in colour with a reddish tinge compared to the 2.2 ltrs of new Castrol syntrans multivehicle 75w-90 I replaced it with.
Worryingly over 4ltrs of oil came out of the gear box which was last touched in 2011 when a land rover main dealer replaced the clutch assembly under warranty and would also explain the slight weeping of oil from the gearbox bell housing I expect?

Next job was to fit the 2 alloy bushes to the gear lever housing as per another one of Martin K's posts,
his instructions and photo's made this a very easy job to do the only short cut I took was to not remove the diff lock,
As I removed the top right and bottom left bolts to insert the bushes and just slackened of the other one, The extra work involved to remove the diff lock mechanism just didn't seem worth while and the 3 bolts were re torqued as per his instructions.

I also glued all the weights to the gear lever as suggested in Custom90Steve's post for good measure.

The final job was to fit the slick shift for this I followed the video provided by Shabs Percy which made it a very simple process with no problems at all,
Just make sure you are in N before starting this process and the cup is on the ball before inserting the gear lever back in to the housing,
I also lubricated all the mechanism for the diff lock at the same time as greasing the slick shift which will assist the ease of this later on.
All in all I spent about 4 hours on these jobs including a couple of coffee breaks and hovering the carpets afterward so an easy afternoons work and would recommend these improvements to anyone.
I have only done a short test drive so far to make sure everything worked ok but initial impressions were very good the gear changes are as described in other posts shorter throw, more precise but slightly heavier but I think I will soon get used to that,
The rattling has gone and selection of 1st when stationery is easy now also changing from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd has no snagging at all and is a much better gear change.
Its impossible to say which change has made he most improvement as I did them all at once but initial impressions are it was very worthwhile doing,
There will be a further update to follow in a couple of weeks once everything has bedded in.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #555854 13th Aug 2016 11:36pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Thumbs Up
Worth noting that area I think is where a lot of running gear and engine noise comes in whilst driving too.
There is a bit of factory soundproofing there but it isn't effective.

Regarding the gear stick weights, since I did mine. (As per my guide which you have seen and followed also.)

I can definitely definitely confirm its a permanent fix and I've never had a rattle from it ever since I did it which must be two years now or so?
I used to get it all the time in 6th gear, made me feel like the trans had issues but it wasn't that it was just the bloody rattle!
LR could easily solve it, and should have as per early servicing and first few years of ownership and recalls etc.
Such an easy job which they wouldn't fathom or bother with. "They all do that." Maybe so... But wrongly!

Slick shift looks interesting.
Post #555857 13th Aug 2016 11:56pm
Wild Card 90

England 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Indus Silver
I thinks this sounds like a very attractive proposition. I do like the idea of a shorter throw, and a more precise action. Takes another little bit of the Transit out of our beloved Def? I will be ordering one, but will keep in mind that the risk.

A friend fitted a short shift kit (the parts look remarkably similar to those for the Def) to his 1970īs 911 and was really impressed. Not so long after, on a long trip, the gearbox broke. They (he and his workshop) deduced that the shifter had contributed to the problem. It does encourage you to shift faster, and stress the syncros.

Wonīt stop me fiting one, though..... Thumbs Up 1998 Tdi 90 SW,
2008 Td4 90 SW,
2012 2.2 90 SW,
2" raised Trailmaster/Terrafirma
Heavy Track Raids, 255 MTīs,
Recaro CSīs, anorak, wellingtons
Post #556770 17th Aug 2016 8:53pm
ashtrans
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 
I don't understand why a shorter throw is deemed an improvement, it's a lever, shorter throw = higher force

It was a factory option on a Porsche 996 I once had and it wouldn't engage 2nd for the first 5 miles due to oil viscosity and the increased force required from the short throw lever,

Maybe I should market a low effort lever (long throw), I bet some people would buy it !

It's just a trade off in my eyes not an improvement

Dave Dave
Post #556814 17th Aug 2016 10:18pm
Erik256

Estonia 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Keswick Green
Some of us (me included) have tried all thinkable and unthinkable, short of box change to, remedy the crunching gear change. So if this this mod holds even a little chance of bettering the gear change I'm going to try it. Even if it has some apparent drawbacks.
Post #556866 18th Aug 2016 7:36am
Wild Card 90

Dave, you are quite right. And if anybody should know.....

There is an element of "change, for the sake of change" in this. Would the factory shift be as short and heavy to operate as one fitted with this kit, there would be a thriving market for an "easy shift" kit with longer throw. The Defender box isnīt great. It works best when shifted slowly and can be notchy when cold.
This wonīt improve with kit, and the the tendancy to shift too quickly will be magnified.

Ironically, the kit is best suited to Defenders with gearboxes that work well and shift smoothly. It wonīt solve any typical Defender problem other than the long lever movement.

Iīve driven a few short shift modifed vehicles myself, and they do feel less forgiving to begin with.

Worth keeping in mind.

Like modified front facias, RAIīs and led lights, there might well be a number of these up for sale on the forum in a year or two. Whistle Whistle

Iīll let you know how I get on with it.....

Stephen 1998 Tdi 90 SW,
2008 Td4 90 SW,
2012 2.2 90 SW,
Post #556869 18th Aug 2016 7:57am
hornet

ashtrans wrote:
I don't understand why a shorter throw is deemed an improvement, it's a lever, shorter throw = higher force

Maybe I should market a low effort lever (long throw), I bet some people would buy it !

It's just a trade off in my eyes not an improvement

Dave

I basically agree with you. But don't you think that the more precise and tight fit due to the bedding of that assembly will lead to an increase of precision when selecting and changing gears? Its up to the driver to get a feeling for the speed he is shifting to avoid, as mentioned, wear to synchro-rings.
Post #556919 18th Aug 2016 11:56am
Roy5695

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Indus Silver
I've done a couple thousand miles since fitting the puma slick shift now and find it amazing!

In fact my first journey home from billing of about 500 miles was the real test! perfect precise gear changes instead of a floppy stick! (nobody wants a floppy stick)

Now I am back home in the cornish countryside, negotiating the tight twisty country roads is a pleasure, being able to find the right gear in less time when driving with a little spirit.

all in all, although it is twice the price of the td5 unit, I would recommend it to anyone! The design and machining of the parts is of the best quality which reflects the new gear change you get.

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Post #556951 18th Aug 2016 1:54pm
Wild Card 90

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up That sounds promising! 1998 Tdi 90 SW,
2008 Td4 90 SW,
2012 2.2 90 SW,
Post #556964 18th Aug 2016 2:52pm
Roy5695

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Indus Silver
Also in response to the people saying that this could make the gear change more difficult being a shorter throw...

Although it may seem a little stiffer it is far from difficult and with it being a more precise and shorter time between the selection of gears (less time for engine speed to drop) then the gears are selected much easier and quicker.

Any one in the Cornwall area (or any area if your'e willing to travel) are more than welcome to come and have a gone if they have any doubts they won't after experiencing it for themselves.

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Post #558197 23rd Aug 2016 7:39am
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Wild Card 90 wrote:
I thinks this sounds like a very attractive proposition. I do like the idea of a shorter throw, and a more precise action. Takes another little bit of the Transit out of our beloved Def? I will be ordering one, but will keep in mind that the risk.

A friend fitted a short shift kit (the parts look remarkably similar to those for the Def) to his 1970īs 911 and was really impressed. Not so long after, on a long trip, the gearbox broke. They (he and his workshop) deduced that the shifter had contributed to the problem. It does encourage you to shift faster, and stress the syncros.

Wonīt stop me fiting one, though..... Thumbs Up

Slick shift on a 50's designed, low revving, agriculturally biased vehicle? Sounds like someone's missing their Porsche... Big Cry

Off Topic Any sign of it? Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #558293 23rd Aug 2016 1:48pm
Wild Card 90

You have a point there Very Happy
No Gren, no sign of it yet. The UPS tracking mail said it would be delivered yesterday. I hope the shift is slicker than the delivery. Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter 1998 Tdi 90 SW,
2008 Td4 90 SW,
2012 2.2 90 SW,
Post #558380 23rd Aug 2016 7:50pm
hornet

Feedback after installation would be appreciated... Thumbs Up
Post #559891 30th Aug 2016 8:36am
Scoobeenut

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Santorini Black
Have now done a few hundred miles with the slickshift fitted and I have to say i'm mightily impressed. The whole gear shift seems so much better and more precise, yes it is slightly stiffer but gear engagement is more positive and allows better balance between clutch and revs. Fitting was very easy after watching the video on youtube with only a few tools required so a big thumbs up from me.
Post #559908 30th Aug 2016 9:27am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 7 <1234567>