↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > How Land Rover can make your car trailer disappear
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
How Land Rover can make your car trailer disappear
New technology projects camera images onto rear-view mirror to get rid of blindspots

Clever stuff.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/art...spots.html
Post #451000 1st Sep 2015 9:28am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I'm not really a fan of current trends in in-car technology, but that is quite clever and is a good idea.

(I assume that the chick with the horse trailer is not competing in any equestrian event since I couldn't see any sign of a tacho in her vehicle and I am sure that the gross combination weight exceeds 3.5 tonnes!)
Post #451003 1st Sep 2015 9:45am
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Interesting but doesn't claim to remove the need for towing door mirrors, which if it did would make the concept more attractive still for towers, the image used does show a RR without any additional mirrors, just the 'embedded' cameras. Can't see how a standard set up will be able to look down the side of some trailers / caravans ? may be just 'visual trickery' together with a merged view from the rear mounted camera.

'See through' rear view... Thumbs Up

But does this system replace the need for extended door mirrors... Question

SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html
Post #451017 1st Sep 2015 10:22am
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Yes Skip, looks like a sort of 'overlap' of the key images and then projected onto the RVM. Clever stuff.

Given the 'tampering' and 'heat' alert on the remote app, maybe LR should think about selling it to truck companies to ensure they have no illegal immigrants breaking in (or already stowed, if the internal temp rises). If they set up a stall at Calais (sheepskin coat, gold chains, trilby, dodgy mustache) they'd make a fortune... Whistle Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #451020 1st Sep 2015 10:30am
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Hello Grenadier...

Having watched some of the dreadful scenes across Europe and beyond struggling with the migrants plight,
following further disruption to the middle-east, there is a now a desperate need to alter at source, the conditions which have created this humanitarian problem.

There are already systems available to both secure transport vehicles and monitor their 'live' cargo. But this is for the regulated (and policed) nations, not the semi dis-functional regions, from where this dreadful 'trade' has escalated.

Having said that...I genuinely don't understand why it appears not to be possible to keep some
slow moving trucks heading towards the Channel Tunnel in Calais locked. SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html

Last edited by X4SKP on 1st Sep 2015 11:52am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #451033 1st Sep 2015 11:00am
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Without getting too 'heavy' I completely agree. Having served in Baghdad and seen the Western political machine at its interfering worst, I can only feel sorry for the peoples of Iraq, Egypt, Libya etc. It sounds harsh, but for 90% of the populations in these countries life was better under their previous dictatorial rulers.

If you were not an outspoken 'thinker', an angry student, a political threat or a persecuted minority, then you would simply not be on the radar of the dictator/government and life would be as normal as normal can be in a borderline 3rd-world country. You ran your bread stall, your daughter went to school, etc etc. Now they have no structure, no police, complete lawlessness, no food, nada. Your bread stall is failing and every time your daughter heads to school she risks being killed by a suicide bomber. That's if there is still a school to attend. Life has gone down hill for 90% of the population, not improved, and whilst the original persecuted few may no longer be being persecuted, they have merely been replaced by others, because whoever is in power always feels threatened and has the need to persecute, imprison, torture or kill someone. It is just how it is outside of 'Westernised' nations.

Utter Western idealistic fallacy that these countries could ever become 'democratic' overnight just by means of an invasion or some bombing. they're not geared up for it, never were and change such as this takes generations. Democracy in the West didn't happen overnight, it took centuries of war, so why do Western politicians continue to think they can do it within their term in office? Muppets. Blair, Bush and other cronies have a lot to answer for and I genuinely believe that we remain at greater risk of the extreme end of fundamentalism as a result of our invasions and interference and the Middle East and North Africa are in a worse place than they have ever been (certainly post WWII) than if we had done nothing.

Rant over. Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #451039 1st Sep 2015 11:19am
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Profound words Grenadier - I could not agree more. I would like to think that most people agree with you as well, it's just convincing the various World leaders to step away from the Blair/Bush ideology.
Post #451062 1st Sep 2015 12:28pm
ken

United Kingdom 
The Enemy of my Enemy is my Friend ? Isis vs Taliban the removal brought forward hum

Anyhow the tech is interesting and one to watch
Post #451074 1st Sep 2015 1:23pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Some of the top of the range MERCS have 'all-around' vision cameras, god knows where the cameras are, but it's like you're looking out of the sunroof !!
Post #451077 1st Sep 2015 1:34pm
Merlin

United Kingdom 
Don't gypsies make your trailer disappear?

Merlin
Post #451108 1st Sep 2015 4:15pm
JimC

United States 2007 Defender 130 300 Tdi HCPU Arles Blue
I guess Range Rover owners can afford to carry their horses around in Airstreams.
Post #451280 2nd Sep 2015 8:06am
bluebottle

United Kingdom 
I would have thought a Range Rover owner could afford to stay in a hotel and have their man drive a horsebox wherever they required the nag? Whistle
Post #451291 2nd Sep 2015 8:34am
jimbob7

If your struggling to reverse ANY vehicle without camera's, HAND IN YOUR DRIVING LICENCE,NOW!!!!you are truely unfit to drive small,tiny,tiny cars (Fiesta upwards)...it's that simple! When reversing there is NO SUCH thing as blind spots,the law clearly states,you can't see where you reverse,then "YOU DON'T REVERSE....... YOU USE A BANKSMAN".
How do you think lorry drivers go on when reversing on the blind side (Nearside),with a 7 inch mirror with a 45 ft trailer?? . Pov.spec,ftw. 2006, 110,TD5.
Post #451801 3rd Sep 2015 2:32pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Yesterday as I drove home from work, on a single track road with passing places, I encountered some kind of BMW (newish, shiney, boring) coming towards me. At the moment we saw each other there was a passing pull-in on the Beemer's left (my right) about a car length in front of it. By the time it stopped, it has just passed the pull-in.

Since it was what it was, I fully expected that I'd end up reversing 300 yards or so to the last pull-in I had passed, but to my surprise the Beemer started off backwards. To my even greater surprise, it was manouevred as though it was reversing into a gateway or driveway rather than a pull-in, and the driver, whom by now I had seen was an elderly woman, reversed it straight into the hedge and hit a small tree!

Since the front of the car was still fouling the road there was little I could do at this time except watch while she pulled forward and, at a slightly different angle and with a good run-up, rammed the poor tree for a second time! After this I was able to pass, so I did so with a cheery wave. In my mirror I then watched her drive out from the hedge an off on her way.

It really was most entertaining!
Post #451816 3rd Sep 2015 3:22pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1