↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > My 16MY Scotia Grey XS Utility Wagon
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 7 of 11 <123 ... 678 91011>
Print this entire topic · 
L110CDL

England 
just finished reading your thread, your landy's looking great with all the mods you have done so far, looking forward to the rest of the mods andy Thumbs Up
Post #473725 17th Nov 2015 11:36pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Quote:
mse - thanks for your opinions. Just a thought though, if you've always had AT's and you're happy with them then great, but maybe you'd be surprised if you tried something else? I'm curious enough to try something new and find out. I must admit, Goodyear could do a better job on size availability. They'd probably find they'd sell more!

When you have 5 cars always doesnt mean a lot!

We used to (and i think still do) get employee discount on goodyear, so had those, they always seem to have supply issues - this was back when g4 was running, they used to blame that and would never seem to have 4 or 5 in stock always 3 which never helped.

Had Perelli scorpion at's, zeros and whatever else is fitted. had the standard AT's that are on this one and the grabbers. Had some cheap muds along the way too - oh i had some BFG look alikes on the v8 90, i think they were 265's. different cars though 2 300tdi discos, 1 td5 disco, 1 range rover, 2 sports, 2 d4s, 1 freelander, 2 pumas and 2 90's they were over - unless i missed one out.

So always i do mean always, but not exclusively Thumbs Up Mike
Post #473742 17th Nov 2015 11:52pm
L90Andy

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 SW Zambezi Silver
Some jobs ticked off over the Christmas break, in no particular order:

Mud UK Heater Deflector, bought off another forum member. Its fantastic, allows window demist and footwell heat without roasting my left leg. No pics, but here: http://www.mudstuff.co.uk/mud-puma-heater-deflector.html

Roof bars. I wanted some temporary roof bars to sling on as and when needed but didn't want them to stick out or up too far. Ended up with Thule 952 foot pack and 763 bars. Bit of a faff to fit but meets my needs well.

To help with the loading of the roof and not wanting a full height ladder I won the bottom only bit of the AGP710010 kit on ebay for a fiver. Bolted it on in seconds using Sikaflex on the upright section instead of drilling the rear panel. Working well so far.

Click image to enlarge

Rear Recovery Swivel Shackle. I wanted something that fitted on the rear crossmember and was compatible with the NAS rear step. Saw this in LRO and gambled that it would fit which it does. It comes with a new shackle, but I've put an old one on temporarily which I'll keep inside the car until its needed.

Click image to enlarge

Made some good progress on the front auxiliary lighting. No pics yet, will post up the details when its finished. More to follow...
Post #492439 14th Jan 2016 11:32pm
L90Andy

Couple of other jobs done, none too exciting - that's for tomorrow with a trip to Bowler Very Happy

Made a cover for the subwoofer. Not exactly FCX standard, but saves it from daily use abuse!

Click image to enlarge

Also fitted a spare wheel lock. Got the Sawtooth one from ebay. Easily fitted, but I did add a couple of extras; a soft gasket to protect the wheel - made from a table place mat I found in the kitchen Laughing
And a bit of protection from the elements for the lock with a bit of bike inner tube stretched around.

Click image to enlarge

Back end looks better without the spare cover now, can't get accused of putting it on wonky Wink

Click image to enlarge
Post #507369 23rd Feb 2016 6:48pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Hi Andy, she's still looking great! I'm really getting an earning for the Anthracite Sawtooths! Thumbs Up
Post #507392 23rd Feb 2016 8:17pm
L90Andy

Had a fantastic morning at Bowler HQ today. Really impressive setup and lots of interesting stuff to have a look at. Best stuff as always under wraps! Top bunch of guys with some great skills. Serious engineering integrity in what they do, not just another outfit who bolt shiny stuff to your car in exchange for beer tokens. Do a nice cuppa too.
Anyway, came away with a sticker. Oh and a S1 tune...

Click image to enlarge

Really chuffed with how it drove home. Most noticeable on local roads I use everyday where previous gear indecision has been replaced with pulling power. Very useful increase in 'shove' too for cut and thrust lane changes on motorways.
Seems smoother through towns, but as I never really had the kangarooing its hard to be sure.
Overall makes the car much more useable as an everyday vehicle, which mine is.
Thanks chaps, a very pleased customer!
Very Happy
Oh and saw Ken's famous Bowler arrive too Wink
Post #507762 24th Feb 2016 8:55pm
L90Andy

Had this one on the drawing board for a while, but life tends to get in the way of LR spannering time! Crying or Very sad
I love my Noldens, the low beam is really very good, but the difference to high beam isn't a big step change so I decided I needed some better illumination on high beam.
I didn't want to hang anything on the front end as prefer the clean look, so came up with the idea of packaging a 20" led lightbar in the lower grille.
Here is the finished front end, with some further build pics to follow.
Off:

Click image to enlarge

On:

Click image to enlarge

I bought the 21" Flatdog led lightbar as it suited my needs better than some others I looked at. I made some simple brackets to mount it off the cooling pack surround.

Click image to enlarge

I purchased a new black AC surround panel and replaced the lower mesh with some finer mesh that allows more light to pass through.
I initially sprayed this Scotia myself, but made a terrible job of it so I had to fork out for a local bodyshop to do it properly Big Cry
I put the same mesh behind the main grille as a security layer. The main grille is also now held on with coach bolts/nyloc nuts.

Click image to enlarge

For the wiring I used the VPLDV0103 Puma kit after deciding not to use the TD5 STC5308 kit I already had - thanks to those who advised either way Thumbs Up
It came with the exact wires I needed and crucially the dash switch surround for cutting into the dash as I had no spare switches.
The instructions say for RHD to put the switch on the LH dash panel. I ignored that as wanted it closer to the driver.
Fair amount of disassembly required, but not as dramatic as it looks and I don't know one end of a wire cutter from the other!

Click image to enlarge

All finished now, really pleased with the 'factory' clean look. Seems like a sensible place to hide a lightbar even though I've never seen it before. Keeps it away from damage and prying eyes, yet really improves the light output.

Nolden's Low Beam:

Click image to enlarge

Nolden's High Beam:

Click image to enlarge

Lightbar On:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I'm one happy chappy with that Very Happy
Here's to the next job...

Last edited by L90Andy on 30th Mar 2016 7:40am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #519076 29th Mar 2016 10:26pm
YOLO110

Australia 
Brilliant! Cool

I will be doing this mate... Thumbs Up

Totally great idea. Very Happy

Thanks! Pete YOLO... You Only Live Once...
Post #519081 29th Mar 2016 10:33pm
Alex1976

England 
Another top job! Loving the mods you have done - all very subtle and functional. Thumbs Up
Post #519091 29th Mar 2016 11:01pm
Darcy Fairfax

England 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
A great thread - lovely truck and mods.
Post #519247 30th Mar 2016 4:56pm
L110CDL

England 
Great addition Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #519307 30th Mar 2016 8:46pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
Top "O.E" looking job with a very visible result.
Well done, Pickles.
Post #519393 30th Mar 2016 10:13pm
mcma1

Post #519472 31st Mar 2016 8:05am
L90Andy

Thanks for all the encouraging comments folks.

Now I'm happy with the front lighting my quest for improvements turned to the rear.
I've fitted the NAS LED setup like the Twisted Defenders, but with my own twist - instead of the ludicrously expensive and from what I read rather ineffective NAS reverse light, I made my own setup.
I got 2 Scenelite SI8's off ebay and made some mounts to fit them in existing holes in the rear crossmember. Made up a loom across the car to double up and now have a drastically improved reverse light setup, that looks pretty subtle and no drilling required Very Happy

Click image to enlarge

Here are some attempts at photographing the results at dusk. Lots of light shines straight at the NAS step, but there is plenty left to light up the surroundings. Very pleased with the results.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

As I now had a 'spare' plinth, I decided to double up on fog lights too, and they are dirt cheap Very Happy

Click image to enlarge

I think I'll hang up the wire cutters now - lighting all sorted! Instagram: l90andy

2006 Land Rover 90 TD5 CSW Silver Edition

My 1984 Ninety: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56071.html - SOLD!
My 2015 Defender: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic39625.html - SOLD!

Last edited by L90Andy on 5th May 2016 10:56pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #529437 5th May 2016 10:36pm
Alex1976

England 
Another top job! I am really liking all these 'factory style' mods your doing. Very subtle but very functional. Thumbs Up
Post #529441 5th May 2016 10:44pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 7 of 11 <123 ... 678 91011>