↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Mantec Snorkel - How much does it slow you down?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Sadi

Namibia 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 Heritage Edition SW Grasmere Green
fathaggis wrote:
would it not actually give a small boost in performance Shocked as its supplying colder air than the standard vent Question

Would agree with you - on a dyno the technician wil normally direct airflow to the front of the engine via a big fan to try and simulate air flow from the front as when the vehicle is moving forward. The Safari type snorkel should benefit by some RAM effect - thus incoming air may build up more pressure due to no restrictions in its path compared to an engine based air intake. RAM effect should theoretically also ease the feed to the turbocharger. Air "higher up" should theoretically also be a bit cooler and in a dusty environment - most dust is normally closest to the ground. The Mantec air intake/s face vertically downwards - air intake would then probably depend more on a sucking action than a RAM action. Heavy trucks like Scania may have rear facing RAI - often directly behind the roof mounted air deflector - and thus in a theoretical "vacuum" area. On my current Hilux - still waiting for the ordered 110 SW ... - the Safari type allows the ingress of insects - which I then need to remove from the air cleaner container. It also swallows a minimal amount of rain - which may create a type of "pre-inter cooler" effect... Some RAI's also offer the option of a "pre-filter" - but I don't know if the 2 mentioned snorkels would allow such option. Cool
Post #444983 10th Aug 2015 7:10pm
munch90

England 
There was a test done years ago by one of the land rover mag that said some knocked 6hp off
Post #444992 10th Aug 2015 7:37pm
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Post #445000 10th Aug 2015 8:16pm
Penguin

Belgium 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 HT Chawton White
forget the ram air principle with a raised air-intake.
You get due to the bends whirlwinds and due to that lost all benefit of the "ram air", on the contrary even.

Only way to get best performance for an air intake is a tube as short, wide and straight possible. 28/02 - Loss of a good friend...

In a time of chimpanzees, I was a penguin.
Post #445001 10th Aug 2015 8:16pm
strang

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
LRmud wrote:

Saying that, I wonder if insurance companies class it as a "performance enhancement"? Whistle

My insurance company (Adrian Flux) actually class it as an 'off road' modification, and subsequently charge more! Grrrrr Euro-Leafing to infinity and beyond.....
Post #446555 16th Aug 2015 7:18pm
Penguin

Belgium 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 HT Chawton White
What??
How can you define a modification on an off-roader, off-road? Rolling with laughter 28/02 - Loss of a good friend...

In a time of chimpanzees, I was a penguin.
Post #446557 16th Aug 2015 7:20pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
It won't be Adrian Flux but the underwriter of your policy, the company Adrian Flux has used. Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #446571 16th Aug 2015 8:24pm
VeeTee

Netherlands 
^ Can't find it anymore, but some time ago I did some calculations to find out if there is ny difference in wether the safari snorkel head is pointed forward or to the rear, and found that the vehicle velocity is neglectible compared to the linear air velocity in the snorkel, thus the ram air effect of the forward pointing snorkel head is as good as nil. Cheers, Vincent
1959 Polynorm 1/4 Ton Trailer, Olive Drab Green (sold)
1970 M416 Military Trailer (Camping Trailer Conversion), Epsom Green (sold)
1975 Series III 88 V6, Light Green (sadly sold)
1996 Defender 110 CSW 300 Tdi, Epsom Green (sold)
2000 Freelander 1 TD4 3-drs, Silver (sold)
2006 Freelander 1 TD4 5-drs Facelift Automatic, Tonga Green (sold)

MySite
Post #446584 16th Aug 2015 9:15pm
sgilmour

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Arles Blue
I'm looking at fitting a snorkel to my 300tdi and found this thread. Some interesting posts here about ram air effect, also very interesting about Adrian Flux charging more for it as that is who I am with Rolling Eyes

To change the subject slightly I've found the below snorkels on fleabay and wonder why there is such a massive price difference and if I am missing something. Surely a snorkel is a snorkel, and a snorkal is just a long, filterless tube that collects air higher than the intake can. So what makes some worth 2 or even 3x as expensive as the first one below despite looking (pretty much) the same and doing the same job (presumably)?

The only obvious difference (at least visually) is the geometry at the intake level. Does anyone know of any other reason (besides branding etc) that they are more expensive?

Cheapo jobby:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAND-ROVER-DEFEN...GB7U74Mx5Q

More money jobby:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-Defen...q-_tLxy6IQ

Most expensive jobby:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-Defen...rxBabWa3ug

Thanks Thumbs Up
Post #463759 16th Oct 2015 12:21pm
shaggydog

United Kingdom 1991 Defender 110 200 Tdi USW Arles Blue
Well, it depends.

Do you want your snorkel made out of takeaway box plastic or proper plastic?

The last one is a Mantec one who are always going to be the most expensive manufacturer because hey just seem to be, but arguably they are the best quality. http://www.mantec.co.uk/

The first two look like safari snorkel copies. A Proper "safari" snorkel is made by Safari in Australia and designed to put up with being used in Australia so use proper plastics. http://www.safarisnorkel.com/docs/product.htm

It may not make much of a difference as you say ultimately it is just a fancy tube, but when your up to the point your snorkel is now needed do you want to be thinking about weather the plastic has cracked on the back where you cant see it due to poor design or someone banging it in a car park or would you rather know that it is safe and well designed to go up to the windscreen in water? Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Self confessed mileage hunter Very Happy
Post #463776 16th Oct 2015 12:56pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Does everyone remember hiclones - people used to spend time saying it made no difference and if it did, manufacturers would fit them...until they started fitting them.

Personally in the real world, i think the net is 0 or +0.1 in favour of the RAI, but it isnt going to make you faster or more fuel efficient, just counter some of the negatives from having something else in the air flow. In settings with dust or water, then it will give you a positive effect, but negligible.

For me its always safari - i will be on my 5th - Remember, they are designed to be a sealed system, mantec isnt plastic one isnt...unless somethings changed

These cheap copies just arent worth the effort to fit them Mike
Post #463796 16th Oct 2015 2:03pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12