↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Are TR's really that bad!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
bm52

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
Are TR's really that bad!
My old Defender had BFG AT's and my FL1 has Scorpion STs. Both are good in the wet, dry and on ice/snow. from my experience.

Now that i have a shiney Puma with TRs what should I do? The Puma has traction control so are these tyres any good in snow etc? All i ever read is people changing to ATs or MTs. The TRs are effectively new tyres so it would be a waste to dump them if there is no need.

What is the best quiet tyre with good 50/50 performance, no serious off roading.

Can anyone advise how the TR coped in the snow last winter. Are they as good as the BFG ATs in the snow?

My only concern is safety for my family.

Thanks BM52
Post #38792 21st Aug 2010 11:34pm
harveyg77

United Kingdom 
Like yourself I had Scorpion STs on a Freelander, it's the best road tyre for a Fl1 and the best tyre Pirelli make IMO. I also ran Michelin XPCs and BFG ATs back to back. XPCs were better on road, faster and hung on. The ATs could be bullied into running wide (progressively).

Now I know you're on TRs, but they're a similar design to XPCs (5-block pattern with some sipes/shaping, a M&S rating - what value that holds is a different debate). I personally think the TR is perfectly adequate for day to day road driving. I aim to keep mine on until completely worn out then look about. I like the look of the new Conti ATs, the BFG AT is an obvious choice, then there is also the GenGrab AT2. I wouldn't go too aggresive for road use or you'll end up with 'exciting' moments when it's raining or you over cook it into a corner!

Also your tyre size will generally dictate your choice to a degree.

Hth H
Post #38797 22nd Aug 2010 7:14am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
harveyg77 wrote:
I wouldn't go too aggresive for road use or you'll end up with 'exciting' moments when it's raining or you over cook it into a corner!Hth H

Could not agree with you more Harvey! Thumbs Up

I heard of someone achieving 120k miles out of a set of BFG ATs on a Discovery. For longevity you would be hard pushed to find another tyre that comes close. Dependant on your driving style they may be the best....but, I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole (due to my driving style) in the wet they are Censored if you've got alot of weight on board or a heavy vehicle like the Defender and need to apply the brakes somewhat aggressively do not expect to stop quickly and safely this side of Christmas. Shocked

My Coopers are brilliant but then again I reckon 12 - 15k miles and I'll be looking for a new set. BFG KM2s next I think to hopefully get a happy balance between safety and longevity.

Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!

Last edited by K9F on 22nd Aug 2010 11:49am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #38803 22nd Aug 2010 9:08am
RED-DOT

Scotland 
I agree with K9F about the grip of the BFG AT's as i had a new Defender in 1999 and it was fitted as standard with AT's in 265. I hit the anchors on a damp road and it just sailed on. General Grabbers AT2 have very thin sidewalls and should not be used over rocks or flint roads.
My tyre supplier (Strathearn Tyres) regularly see BFG AT's with 85k on them but i have never kept a LR that long. 2008 RS4 gone, 123d M Sport, and a Puma 90 XS..
Post #38815 22nd Aug 2010 10:11am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
RED-DOT wrote:
My tyre supplier (Strathearn Tyres) regularly see BFG AT's with 85k on them but i have never kept a LR that long.

Me neither, I'd had about 40k out of mine with bags of tread left. I did mention on another thread just recently I had a BFG AT throw a tread on me on the A419, quite tricky to handle when changing as one of the steel belts had failed and there was skin piercing steel thread all over the place! If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #38820 22nd Aug 2010 11:45am
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
I run TR's on my 110, use them for "summer" laning all around Wilrshire here, they're not bad at all.

OK, n mud they're pants, but they're not a mud tyre; for "damp" chalky clay stuff they seem fine, and are nice and quiet on the road.

Road manners are great, they're cheap on ebay as people always seem to upgrade to other tyres. I've got some BFG MT's for winter work.
Post #38822 22nd Aug 2010 11:57am
Laurie

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
TRs are the worst tyres ever fitted to a Solihull product. (Assuming you go off-road)
Now on BFG MTs Very Happy
Post #38823 22nd Aug 2010 12:04pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Ads90

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Keswick Green
I currently have the standard skinny XPCs on my Defender (similar to TRs), and they are indeed better in the wet than the BFG AT 265s I had on my last Defender.
Granted the wider, more aggressive BFG ATs looked loads better, but they were poor on wet roads, makes me reluctant to go for these again, especially as safety on tarmac is a priority for me.
It's not so easy to compare to driving in snow, as conditions vary, but I'd say the XPCs are every bit as good, maybe better.

Opinions on tyres seems very subjective for all-terrain - and there are few proper 'road-tests' making choice difficult (unless you can afford to change often, or have more than one set of wheels). The few reviews I have seen seem to rate XPCs ahead of TRs for wet road & snow.

I'd be interested to hear how people get on with these new 11-MY Conticross Contact ATs - they look like they might be a good 'all-terrain' tyre choice for those who spend most of their time on tarmac, but still need occasional performance in mud (they have more aggressive side-walls than the XPCs)... They also appear to have many 'sipes' cut in them, essential for icy conditions.
Post #38825 22nd Aug 2010 12:12pm
diesel_jim

Laurie wrote:
TRs are the worst tyres ever fitted to a Solihull product. (Assuming you go off-road)

Yes, but the TR's arn't an off road tyre are they? MTs are....
Post #38828 22nd Aug 2010 12:45pm
RED-DOT

Scotland 
If that is true they should never be fitted to an offroad vehicle? 2008 RS4 gone, 123d M Sport, and a Puma 90 XS..
Post #38829 22nd Aug 2010 12:56pm
bm52

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
thanks for the replies.

i hope this link works, interesting comparison between BFG and GG ATs.......

http://www.tyres-pneus-online.co.uk/4x4-tyre.html

still looking for a review on the TRs, the fact i can't easily find one probably says it all !

EDIT - just been reading Tyre Test . Com
http://www.einsehen.de/reifentestcom/cgi-bin/autotest.pl?101\z120\z108\z5&&&EN&&

the BFG and GG ATs are very close on the reviews, slightly worse wet braking for the BFGs otherwise pretty even and i guess down to personal choice.

after reading many of the reviews the poorer scores seem to come from people with wider tyres, or American trucks!. this also adds to my view on 235s as an overall choice for dry grip and digging in on softer ground. let alone turning circle!!

ignoring money i think the choice is clear - BFGs or GG ATs for me. but which one Confused BM52
Post #38838 22nd Aug 2010 1:51pm
Laurie

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
diesel_jim wrote:
Laurie wrote:

Yes, but the TR's arn't an off road tyre are they? MTs are....

They're classified as M&S (Mud & Snow)
I've driven Land Rovers for fifty years.
Avon Traction Mileage and Dunlop RK3s were all you could get then.
They were better by far than modern M&S tyres.
Post #38843 22nd Aug 2010 3:19pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Ads90

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Keswick Green
All the 'review' sites I found were reader's inputs, so do vary (probably dependant on vehicle, and expected usage). I suspect many are as you say from American or Alpine 4x4 drivers, with emphasis on snow/ice, rather than UK mud.
I looked at these:

http://www.tyretest.com/4x4_tyres/general/grabber_tr/index.html
http://www.tyretest.com/4x4_tyres/general/grabber_at2/index.html
http://www.tyretest.com/4x4_tyres/bf_goodr...index.html
http://www.tyretest.com/4x4_tyres/michelin/4x4_xpc/index.html
http://www.tyretest.com/4x4_tyres/continen...index.html
Post #38849 22nd Aug 2010 4:41pm
diesel_jim

RED-DOT wrote:
If that is true they should never be fitted to an offroad vehicle?

Because not all of LR's are taken off road.... if you really want, you can specify BFG MT's or Michelin XZL's when you order a vehicle, if you know that it's going to be used in muddy conditions (which is different to "off road")

so i suspect, via customer feedback from each dealer who sells vehicles, "they" (LR) know that x% of vehicles arn't taken into the rough stuff, and therefore don't need the extra expense of MT tyres, nor the extra noise of MT tyres and naff roadholding (which the average LR user would complain about)

Yes, the extreme folk (i'm one) who like to venture into rough stuff will accept poor road manners, noisy tyres, reduced fuel consumption etc of using an MT tyre, but i'd imagine that the bulk of users wouldn't.

Take a look at unimog websites... these are the uber-off road vehicle, yet a lot of these still run with a road biased tyre if they're not used in mud.

It doesn't take a genius to work this one out Rolling Eyes

Last edited by diesel_jim on 23rd Aug 2010 7:57am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #38855 22nd Aug 2010 5:51pm
harveyg77

United Kingdom 
I guess the worse wet weather brewing score for the BFG AT Vs the GG AT2 would result from the harder compound in the BFG. Also the BFG has a Tri-ply side wall, so is less susceptible to damage. Having said that ifit were me I would look at other options first. I really like the look of the Conti AT as a slightly 'less hardcore' off-road tyre, which hopefully picks up some more road biased behaviour as a result.

But beware of 'forum experts' (that's not aimed at anyone here before the grenades start). I often come across these tyre questions/arguments everytime I decide to change my MTB tyres (now run Conti's on both MTBs). Tyres are like women - a personal preference where one mans pleasure is another mans pain/poison Wink

Harvey
Post #38857 22nd Aug 2010 6:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>