↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Are TR's really that bad!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Ads90

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Keswick Green
harveyg77 wrote:
I often come across these tyre questions/arguments everytime I decide to change my MTB tyres (now run Conti's on both MTBs). Tyres are like women - a personal preference where one mans pleasure is another mans pain/poison Wink

Harvey

Hi Harvey - slightly OT, but I know what you mean - I used to fanatically read Shiggy's Tires (now http://mtbtires.com/site2/) and Mtbr forums ( http://forums.mtbr.com/) to get my Mtb tyre fix... I carefully compiled my top-5 wish-list when I was having some new hoops built, but when they were ready for collection they didn't have any of my choice in stock - so came back fitted with Conti Diesels (2.7) intending to swap them out... But I've been very impressed - best tyres I've had so far - my point being I'd discounted them after reading other people's experiences. Mtb tyre choice is relatively easy though - it's all about the mud, no compromise necessary! Thumbs Up
Post #38863 22nd Aug 2010 7:21pm
harveyg77

United Kingdom 
I've 2.0 Conti RaceKings on my hardtail for everything from commuting on road to Derbyshire bridleways. Then running 2.2 Conti MountainKing USTs on the Full-Susser for Peaks Laning and trail centres, though I sometimes drop these for the 2.35 Maxxis High-Roller USTs if I'm in a mood with the MKs. Can't put my finger on it, but I never feel confident on the MKs.

My last crash (~3-wks ago) involved leaving my TALAS locked out, SPDs too tight and a long sweeping sandy corner. The result was an evening in A&E having grit/sand washed out of my arm & legs, X-ray for a suspected bust shoulder (just lifted some bone up enough to damage all the soft tissue but no breaks or dislocation) and a new helmet as I wrote my beloved Giro Xen off in the crash!

Can't blame the MKs but I'm sure I'd if been fine on the High-Rollers Wink

Harvey
Post #38865 22nd Aug 2010 7:41pm
Laurie

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
'Reinforced sidewalls' is the biggest load of rubbish ever stated!
I've ripped the sidewalls of all sorts of so called tyres over the years.
Never managed to claim a replacement yet Sad
Post #38876 22nd Aug 2010 11:49pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Froogle-Yorkshireman

2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
So if I have a chance to flog my 5 TR's with just 1k miles on them and put KM2's onto the boost alloy would that be a good move? Will that give me better stopping in the wet and better grip in the snow? Proud owner 110 Utility XS
Ex RR Sport HST V8
Ex Td5 90
Post #39078 25th Aug 2010 10:52pm
MrFlips

Wales 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 PU Santorini Black
My TRs were great in the wet, and never once let me down in the snow, so changing to KM2s won't help there. That said, if you ever need to drive across a muddy field alone, then I'd go for the BFGs (and they'll look better). Peter
2008 SWB Truck Cab
1952 80" Soft top
Post #39080 25th Aug 2010 11:00pm
bm52

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
have a look at:

http://www.tyretest.com/4x4_tyres/bf_goodr...index.html

i'm no expert, but after my BFGs i think this time i will try GG AT2s as they will be about £150-200 cheaper than the BFGs and as i only do about 6k a year and limited off road they should last me ages....i hope. BM52
Post #39081 25th Aug 2010 11:02pm
BigRuss

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
I've got at2's on my misses disco 2, I feel they slide tomuch in the wet on corners and round abouts. Not tried them on snow yet.
Post #39101 26th Aug 2010 10:18am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
If your off roading is limited to gravel tracks and little peat type mud (or chalky as Jim states) then the TR will be fine. they are good for traction not so good for turning in the wet.

I dont get on with them onroad in the wet and prefer my BFG ATs.

i recently took the plunge on another set of ATs and went for BFG over AT2s due to sidewall strength.

bear in mind despite what everyone may say vehicles do most of their mileage on tarmac unless its exceptional circumstances.

for example i run a 110 on TRs (currently, just changed if off trac edges) that does 90% of its time (not mileage) on road.
a 90 tdi with BFG ATs that does 80% of its time off road as a training vehicle, but mileage wise it would be 90% onroad.
a 90 tgv with MTs or Fedimas that does 99% of its time off road - well to be honest it spends 99% of its time in the garage totally off the road but 99% of its running time is off road.

its all a compromise as to what you use the vehicle for most of the time rather than mileage, certainly for what i do.

when i do go off road i want it to go places and not hinder my work - which is what the current TRs do - limit my ability to get where i need to be so i end up ferrying stuff. but those opportunities of it not going where i need it (when on the tracedges) were limited now on TRs its much more of the time, but i currently live with it for the 90% of the time it is on the road. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #39106 26th Aug 2010 11:57am
Froogle-Yorkshireman

All makes sense JST Thumbs Up

The KM2's do look great though Very Happy

This new Landy is turning out to be a real challenge to my Yorkshire credentials Evil or Very Mad

Not feeling very froogle (frugal) as I keep opening the wallet and splashing my cash. I put the snorkel and aluminium steering guard on as a last minute treat when I ordered the truck. Then I treated it to waxoyl from rustmaster last week and K9F has got me looking at sticking some spots on my "A" frame..... and now I am thinking new tyres as they look better...

HELP Big Cry I am loosing my Yorkshire Frugalness Big Cry Proud owner 110 Utility XS
Ex RR Sport HST V8
Ex Td5 90
Post #39128 26th Aug 2010 2:55pm
BigRuss

Just stop talking to k9f, that way he can't spend your money!
Post #39131 26th Aug 2010 4:26pm
Froogle-Yorkshireman

He's too bloody helpful Rolling Eyes Proud owner 110 Utility XS
Ex RR Sport HST V8
Ex Td5 90
Post #39133 26th Aug 2010 4:45pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
BigRuss wrote:

Just had a look BigRuss....They're still sat there awaiting your purchase!!! You know you want to!!!

Laughing

Froogle-Yorkshireman wrote:
He's too bloody helpful Rolling Eyes

BFG KM2's speak to Ken, ooooooh suits you sir!!!! Go well with a set of Mach 5s...know where you can get 'em too! Rolling with laughter If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #39135 26th Aug 2010 5:14pm
Froogle-Yorkshireman

Shocked See... Exclamation k9f is even telling me where I can get them now....

So helpful Shocked

All joking apart what are the KM2's actually like in real life up and down a motorway? I like the look of them and would like to have something competent fitted if and when I go off road. The last thing I would ever want to do is ask a farmer to pull me out of the mud... Embarassed However, got to be honest and say 90% of use will be Tarmac. Would the TR's offer better handling and braking?? With my driving style I need plenty of Tarmac grip and more importantly stopping power. Proud owner 110 Utility XS
Ex RR Sport HST V8
Ex Td5 90
Post #39143 26th Aug 2010 6:20pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
:With my driving style I need plenty of Tarmac grip and more importantly stopping power.

Your style sounds like mine...especially if you think it's a go-kart! Shocked Ain't that right Karlos?

Spotlights will also improve your driving style....honest guv! Laughing

My Coopers are brilliant on-road (not given them a hammering off-road) but with a longevity of about 12k miles could you justify the expenditure? I can't! Road noise naturally increases with that style of tyre but I quite like the soothing hum! I would be interested to know any feedback and life expectancy of KM2s though, as they will probably be my next boot of choice!

Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #39155 26th Aug 2010 7:08pm
BigRuss

K9F wrote:
BigRuss wrote:

Just had a look BigRuss....They're still sat there awaiting your purchase!!! You know you want to!!!

Laughing

He's too bloody helpful Rolling Eyes

BFG KM2's speak to Ken, ooooooh suits you sir!!!! Go well with a set of Mach 5s...know where you can get 'em too! Rolling with laughter

Yes yes yes I know but I like the shine new ones!

Surely it would be like buying a Td5 when I could just buy a puma! Very Happy
Post #39160 26th Aug 2010 8:11pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>