↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Dash cam with front and rear cams recommendations
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Dash cam with front and rear cams recommendations
Seriously looking at a dashcam with front and rear cameras, the standard of driving in some parts of the country is making India's highways look safe!

I've looked at the blackvue 650s 2-channel ones and tempted , but before I press the buy it now button, does anyone have a better ideas?
Post #586904 22nd Dec 2016 9:20am
midlife

Ireland 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Rimini Red
Had the 650 for over a year now no problems good quality. WiFi to phone can be done but I occasionally have a couple of goes. Just need to remember to turn the mic off when driving as the language gets colourful Very Happy
Post #586906 22nd Dec 2016 9:29am
Darcy Fairfax

England 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
Techmoan's youtube playlist of car cameras is well worth the look, he does good reviews. Best of luck.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFB79814F24001328

Cheers

D
Post #586907 22nd Dec 2016 9:31am
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
My boss has got a Blackvue, pretty sure it's that one, installed in his Tesla. He likes it.
It did amuse me when it was first installed because the movement sensor was set too sensitive and every gust of wind his phone went off to say that his car was being attacked Very Happy
Post #586917 22nd Dec 2016 10:02am
Orangesofa

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
I have a Transcend Drive Pro 200 which is no longer the top model but does everything I need it to do. The footage is good and also has the wifi option to your phone but I see that as a bit gimmicky.

The latest 2 channel cameras do seem like a good development if looking backwards is important.

I took the view that 'blame' debates with other motorists were most likely to result from someone pulling out in front of me and me not being able to avoid them, someone slamming the brakes on without reason or someone veering onto my side of the road - all front facing disputes. Someone running into the back of me is 99% of the time going to be seen as the person behind's fault so less important to record.

Footage from my camera  Phil
Post #586919 22nd Dec 2016 10:19am
Scrawf

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tamar Blue
Ah something else we managed without for years that is now a must have!
Post #586933 22nd Dec 2016 11:16am
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
^ If the technology is there what harm is there in using it?
Post #586935 22nd Dec 2016 11:33am
Mean Green

Scotland 
Does fitting a dash-cam have any effect on insurance premium?

Both my wife and I have had our first accidents in almost 20 years of driving and neither were our fault (although according to my insurers a tree falling on the road about 50ft ahead of me and me hitting it at 70mph is somehow my fault.. as an I quote "we cant make a claim against a tree"!!!).

I was also not aware of the security aspect - does that mean you can pretty much use it as CCTV? ie if you car got nicked you could hook into the dash cam and see where it was/had been (assuming it had not been ripped out by the thieving scum)

Perhaps worth thinking about.
Post #586937 22nd Dec 2016 11:37am
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Hello bpman

Been looking at this too, as I had two incidences this year that could have gone either way
and reflecting on what might have been, a dash cam would have helped to prove (or gone
a long way) to show what just happened.

I've decided to visit the shops in the new year sales... Exclamation

The main incident for me to make me think about this, was a pull out from a side road...whilst I was
watching and immediately slowed down and stopped without real issue it could have ended badly.

The pull out vehicle approached a give way junction, slowing down, almost came to rest saw the Land Rover...hesitated (i'll bet they decided they wanted to be in front of it not behind it) and went for a quick
pull out...in doing so, turning fully onto the road directly in front of me they stalled...I stopped...just before
rear ending them.

They guy (driver) jumped out...but the interesting development was his girlfriend / wife got out and started
taking pictures on her phone...if i'd had hit them this would have quite easily looked bad for me. The Driver
was calm and in some way a bit sheepish at what had just happened...she however started down the road
of how Censored fast do you think you were going... Question

I pointed at the speed camera I had just passed...we said a few word and parted.

I agree Front View is key as has been said...no fussy gimmicks also, just great picture quality,
speed info could be useful also.

Time for a bit of research... Shocked SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html
Post #586939 22nd Dec 2016 11:50am
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Thanks for all the replies, my daily drive was totalled last week, i was almost stationary, indicating and turning right and another driver decided it was an idea to overtake rammed in my driver door, put creases in the floor but was not hurt (either dangerous driving or not driving with due care and attention - IMHO)

(I was going to change the car next year), but as a result of this, I'm picking up a new 125d tomorrow so want some protection

from my research so far:

1. not sure i want a screen as its a distraction,
2. do i want to upload to the web ?
3. the blackvue has a "s" version and a "s GW" .. not sure what the GW stands for?
4. i have a garmin satnav (dezl760) very happy with it .. garmin also make dash cams
5. most also record gps co-ords and speed

good idea - waiting for the new year sales / amazon sales ... have a friend who is a BMW master tech, so fitting will be ok

still hovering over the 650s buy-it-now button Whistle

Last edited by bpman on 22nd Dec 2016 12:59pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #586952 22nd Dec 2016 12:44pm
smb

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
You can't go wrong with the Blackvue. If you do any towing you can get the Truck version which allows you to have an external camera to put on the back of the trailer. I think Blackwolf has this ,but I may be wrong.

I have the 750/2 and it is place right up behind the mirror with the rear camera just underneath the rear door brake light.

I don't know what advantage the 'cloud' would give you other than it saves you taking the card out each time you need a record of an incident.

Personally, and with the experience of the 750, I would go for the Blackvue 650 with the rear Truck Camera Thumbs Up A bit more expensive, but then what isn't for a Defender. Whistle
Post #586957 22nd Dec 2016 12:58pm
Mean Green

Scotland 
Do these rear view cameras double as reversing cams? and/or can they be projected on a screen - thinking about one on the back of the caravan for that little extra visibility.
Post #586961 22nd Dec 2016 1:38pm
smb

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
You can certainly use them to see what is behind you, but it will not have the guide pattern to help you determine distance/angle/etc.. that most dedicated rear view camera have.
Post #586970 22nd Dec 2016 2:15pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
As noted above, I have the DR650 2ch Truck version (exterior rear camera since my Defender is a DC) and have been happy with it. The GPS isn't the best and seems a bit flakey, but it does the job (of course it still functions as a camera without GPS).

I have also very recently bought but not fitted yet a Blackvue kit of an adaptor and 7" monitor which turns the rear camera into a reversing camera which can either be active constantly (possibly handy if like me you have no view to the rear at all) or switched by the reversing light.
Post #586995 22nd Dec 2016 5:21pm
Brewstop

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Zambezi Silver
Another vote for Blackvue DR650 – GW HD – 2 CH

Really good picture quality, easy to install with more than enough self adhesive clips to tidy the cables.

Pretty good for green laning video recording, it beats a GoPro hands down.

You can 'live stream' the front or rear cam footage in real time over wifi, you can use it as a reversing cam if required.

The iOS software is a little clunky but it works, you can download an event in seconds. Sandy
Post #587026 22nd Dec 2016 6:56pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>