Home > Technical > hi lo revs switch
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
pumaxs wrote:
ericvv wrote:
Seriously now, the few times per year that I put my Puma 2.4 into low box (just to keep the mechanism working), the rpm at idle remains at 800, but as soon as I move the gearstick to 1st, the idle revs will immediately increase to 1000, maybe even slightly more and not fall back to 800 again until I put the gearstick back into neutral.
Eric

That's interesting.
I drive the 'Spaniel Taxi' in low range on a daily basis.
On mine, the revs do not pick up as soon as either low 1st or reverse is selected.
Having released the clutch, with no throttle input, revs have picked up to just over 1k rpm after travelling approximately 5 or 6 feet.
Not an exact measurement - I just lined the front mud flap up with a dandelion Smile
Am I normal? Laughing

that's what mine does Thumbs Up
Post #432568 21st Jun 2015 3:28pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
night before last I removed the front prop and yesterday I could barely drive the damn thing in terms of getting a gear that didn't look like I was learning to drive - put that partly down to the rear drive flanges needing replacement due to wear.

put the hi/lo switch back in and tried as I have before by trying to extend the length of the linkage from the hi-lo lever to the transfer box. gear changes this morning not a problem.

not knowing how exactly the transfer box works could it be that extending the linkage now put some constant pressure on the mechanical part that selects hi/lo which would make a difference.

**Steve** Miserableoldgit - didn't you post something sometime back about struggling to get a smooth gear change no matter how hard you tried and it turned out to be hi/lo or diff lock that wasn't properly engaged?

how sensitive is the mechanical input to the transfer box for hi/lo - is it possible something is preventing it from being pushed fully home?

WOW! found it.......a bit more practice and you can call me MAL. Laughing

I recently needed to get one of my trailers on to a bit of very wet ground and I thought I'd get it as far as I could with the Defender and use one of the tractors to finish the job should the trailer get bogged. As it was I got the trailer backed to where it needed to be using the Land Rover in low box, difflock engaged. Having got back on firm ground I disengaged difflock and selected hi range and parked up nearby for the night. The following day I needed to use the Defender but once moving noticed that the gear change was awful ...I couldn't get a smooth change without a substantial clunk no matter how hard I tried, the whole transmission seemed slack and rather like some of the old clunkers I'd had in the past. The difflock light was not lit, the range lever was where it should be, the rolled freely and transmission did not feel to be winding up so I immediately imagined I had the start of an issue which peed me off as the vehicle was new just recently. Pulling out of a junction at the bottom of the lane here I suddenly lost all drive ....but I had an inkling what had happened and sure enough I found the Hi Lo / Difflock lever in neutral, I got it back in to high range on the fly and instantly the transmission was back to normal with no undue noises, clunks, bangs or slack. So despite feeling like the lever was fully engaged in reality it was only partially in ....and this from someone who has been around Defenders and other 4x4's for a few years.

So this is exactly how it feels.....

short of extending the linkage rod is there anything else that can be adjusted to ensure hi range is FULLY engaged?

Please?
Post #433225 24th Jun 2015 7:18am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
The linkage rods are there for that very purpose. Adjust if necessary and move on........literally!
High or Low range will do!

Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #433235 24th Jun 2015 8:22am
Caterham

Laughing Thumbs Up

will give it another go tonight.
someone suggested they were simply adjusting the position of the lever (more a cosmetic thing than actually changing anything mechanically if that makes sense).

would this be the only adjustment?

other than the rod there's nothing on the box that would prevent the hi range from being fully enganged?

thanks Mal.
Post #433237 24th Jun 2015 8:28am
K9F

Even if it does just alter the lever position it will give you more leverage surely? Please mark it before you adjust anything. That way you can 'roll back' to where you started and prevent another proverbial 'marathon slipping into the abyss can o' worms!' You're not going to draw me in any further that's my lot! Hope you have a fantastic holiday and sincerely hope there's no internet connectivity whatsoever where you're going. We need a holiday too!

Whistle Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #433243 24th Jun 2015 8:59am
Caterham

Thumbs Up
Post #433247 24th Jun 2015 9:12am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Both the high/low selector shaft and the difflock selector shaft have detents on them which determine the correct position of the selector. The linkage and lever should be adjusted so that the shaft moves until the detent is properly engaged.

There are many ways in which the movement of the lever can be compromised so that this doesn't happen - it can be that the lever housing isn't in the right place, there are carpets/mats/gaiters restricting movement, or that the moving parts of the lever and linkage mechanism (the lever ball or pivot, and the linkage pivots and joints) need cleaning and lubricating. Usually problems with transfer box mode selection are down to a lack of lubrication and stiffness in the external linkages.

Adjusting the lengths of the linkages is generally unnecessary, and certainly won't "increase leverage".

If you really think that there is a problem with the linkage, disconnect the hi/lo lever at the t-box end and go for a drive. the lever doesn't hold the box in gear, the detent does that, so if you problems go away you know that the lever is at the root of the problem.

Be aware that the linkage on the TDCi is very inaccessible and not easy to disconnect.
Post #433261 24th Jun 2015 9:46am
Caterham

thank you BW.

so what is used to line up the indents - just the lever presumably. how when it's lined up does it remain lined up?

I presume if these aren't correctly lined up it can jump out of hi range and into neutral (I've had that happen when accerating out of a right turn junction).

assuming the linkages are well lubricated is there anything else that needs adjusting to ensure the indents line up correctly. I'd originally assumed this was done by adjusting the lever linkage length?

thank you.
Post #433300 24th Jun 2015 12:39pm
blackwolf

The detent mechanism works (as detents do!) by having two notches on the shaft which carries the selector fork, the shaft slides past a spring loaded ball located in a machined housing in the gearbox casing. Consequently the shaft has two positions in which the ball engages one or other of the notches, and these hold the selector fork in the correct place to engage either the low or high dog clutches.

The difflock is a slightly more complex arrangement since the selector fork floats on the shaft between two bias springs, since there is a high probability of it baulking on engagement due to misalignment of the dog clutch, or baulking on release due to transmission wind up. The bias springs ensure that as soon as the baulk condition is released by virtue of the relative movement of the front and rear drivelines, the selector fork will either engage or disengage correctly. It is in this case the selector shaft, not the fork, which is positioned by the detent.

There will be test on this later!
Post #433312 24th Jun 2015 1:26pm
Caterham

thank you very much BW. spring loaded ball....a little bit like you'd have on a socket wrench to hold a socket in place?
presumably if this wasn't working very well the shaft wouldn't stick in the right position and hence it would be clattering but unlikely to drop out of high ration?

is it common for these things to fail....could the transfer box be something else from the 'spares' bin I've blessed with?

I also assume there's no realy way of telling if these balls are working correctly and from what I can interpret the gear lever just pulls / pushes the shaft into place and then held there by the spring balls. Presumably once engaged there should be an increased amount of effort to dis-engage rather than simply moving the shaft?
Post #433316 24th Jun 2015 1:47pm
blackwolf

Quote:
thank you very much BW. spring loaded ball....a little bit like you'd have on a socket wrench to hold a socket in place?

Exactly the same principle, an excellent analogy.

Quote:
presumably if this wasn't working very well the shaft wouldn't stick in the right position and hence it would be clattering but unlikely to drop out of high ration?

If for whatever reason the detent mechanism had stuck or failed, the shaft would be free floating and may well jump out of gear. The likelihood of this happening would depend on many factors, including the geometry of the of high and low gear dog clutches. I doubt that anything would "clatter", it would either be in gear or out of gear.

Quote:
is it common for these things to fail...

No, but not unheard of. Detent springs can break, and moving parts get gunged up. If the transfer box has been properly services or is new, a failure is unlikely (provided it was properly assembled in the first place, of course).

Quote:
....could the transfer box be something else from the 'spares' bin I've blessed with?

Since the whole of your vehicle seems to have been built from components rejected by earthlings and assembled on Friday the 13th, anything is possible!

Quote:
I also assume there's no realy way of telling if these balls are working correctly and from what I can interpret the gear lever just pulls / pushes the shaft into place and then held there by the spring balls. Presumably once engaged there should be an increased amount of effort to dis-engage rather than simply moving the shaft?

The only way really to tell is by feel, and it may require the linkage to be disconnected and the shaft moved directly. Alternatively you could strip down the transfer box.......
Post #433318 24th Jun 2015 1:59pm
K9F

Stripping down the transfer box forthwith is your best option! Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #433326 24th Jun 2015 2:21pm
Caterham

Very Happy

thank you...will leave the strip down as a last resort.....

rightly or wrongly will try 'feeling' for it first and adjusting linkage length.

Thumbs Up
Post #433327 24th Jun 2015 2:22pm
Caterham

do you think so Mal. Sad

neighbours are going to love this tonight..........

I'll let you know how I get on but think it may end in Big Cry

Wink
Post #433328 24th Jun 2015 2:24pm
K9F

No! Just trying to keep you busy! When people tire of this thread you could always start another? You could name it 'Caterham's Almost Positively Last Problem! (perhaps, maybe, alright I fibbed the last time.)' Whistle Laughing If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Last edited by K9F on 24th Jun 2015 2:30pm. Edited 3 times in total
Post #433329 24th Jun 2015 2:25pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>