↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Vote UKIP
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
lambert.the.farmer

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Rutland Red
It's called single payment. Basically it's a payment based on available productive land area with conditions attached which are an amalgamation of lots of different things aimed at encouraging behaviours partly to promote keeping the land in good productive condition, partly to provide environmental responsibility plus a multitude of other best practices and if you don't meet the conditions you don't get paid. However without it I and a lot of other farms would collapse which would have a very detrimental effect on the ability of the country to feed itself. Or put another way the cost of the subsidy is very good value compared to the cost of importing the lost production. As an example I seem to remember reading that if we had to import milk from the continent it would retail at about £5.50 a pint. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #418540 24th Apr 2015 6:50am
ken

United Kingdom 
That's why drink Black coffee Wink in Europe
Post #418547 24th Apr 2015 7:22am
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
[quote="custom90steve"]Land Rover won't change now, busy perusing the luxury market that is booming. Funny that right now seeing as the country is in such dire straights. (supposedly)
There are some that are buying luxury TOTR RR' s and other vehicles worth much much more again at record sales levels.

And yet other things in the country are near collapse.

yep amazing how many of them nice shiny TOTR RR's there are here in the butt end of Birmingham where you'd have thought most of their owners were asylum seekers......has the government moved on from handing out £1M houses in London to TOTR RR's c/w Blue disabled badges so they can park on double yellows all outside their dodgy looking shop day in day out when they're clearly not disabled? Evil or Very Mad

between 9-4pm every week there's about 6+ cars all parked on double yellows and they never get a ticket. traffic warden comes along they all phone each other up and play musical chairs and keep getting away with it.......seems very racist to me that they should get away with it.....and this is on a main road leading into the city centre which is now a single carriage way and not the dual carriage way it should be?

I'll be voting ......if the willy nilly hand outs are curtailed, the housing situation is improved or Defender continues then bonus !
Post #418548 24th Apr 2015 7:29am
ken

United Kingdom 
Woo Caterham that's out of order I drive a L405AB and have a blue badge so what you saying I'm not entitled Censored
Post #418553 24th Apr 2015 7:44am
leeds

United Kingdom 
Ken, a big difference between people parking legally and using the system correctly.

I am reasonably sure you will have seen people abusing the system.

When it comes to parking, go near any school and you will see illegal parking, parking in private car parks, parking on double yellow, parking on the pavements, parking on corners, blocking entrances etc. All disrupting local industry, just so darling 'Janet and John' does not have too much exercise by dare I say walking/cycling. What does this say to darling 'Janet and John" approaching 17? The parents are teaching them that you can pick and choose which laws you decide to obey. Result? More motoring mayhem!

I do not agree with some of the 'political' sentiments expressed here, and before anyone ask how I vote is between me and the ballot box!

Brendan
Post #418562 24th Apr 2015 8:20am
ken

United Kingdom 
its not about parking Brendan its the association that Blue badge holders cant have nice cars its basically discrimination

I get plenty of looks when parking the L405 or LP560 in a bay people tut my wifes blind and I have a pinned knee and ankle so im not allowed a nice car Banging Head

Anyhow need to get this off topic on topic Rolling with laughter
Post #418566 24th Apr 2015 8:38am
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Ken, I'm not suggesting for one second you're not using your badge correctly.

what I'm suggesting is there's a couple of people here that APPEAR to be clearly taking the P. one young lad appears to be completely physically fit (doesn't give disabled people lifts) and another couple that use their car (both drive) and occasionally bring their 'mother' along to sit outside the shop who is old and does have a walking stick but this is very much the exception.

also got businesses here who park cars on the double yellows to fit car stereos and leave the empty boxes on the side of the pavement Evil or Very Mad

sorry Off Topic
Post #418588 24th Apr 2015 9:43am
leeds

United Kingdom 
Enjoy your cars Ken, you have worked hard and earned them Thumbs Up Yes there will always be some some envy in this world, sad to say.

The standard of the 'political' debate in the run up to this forthcoming election has been appallingly bad in my opinion. I think some of the politicians and would be politicians say things for effect so that they will get their names in the media rather then engaging in meaningful political debate.

What 'amuses' me is that some of these political leaders have never done a hard days work on the 'shop floor' in their lives but they say they speak for the 'hard working' people of the UK.

Brendan
Post #418594 24th Apr 2015 9:52am
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
We don't talk politics here ......but Rolling with laughter Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #418599 24th Apr 2015 10:05am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
lambert.the.farmer wrote:
As an example I seem to remember reading that if we had to import milk from the continent it would retail at about £5.50 a pint.

but we do import milk - 132 million litres for 2013 - where's that going at £5.50 a pint - those Waitrose shoppers must be thirsty little Censored !

http://www.dairyco.org.uk/market-informati...e-balance/
Post #418605 24th Apr 2015 10:23am
custom90

United Kingdom 
I'm surprised we've got any dairy industry at all to be honest.
Many dairy farms are struggling and nothing is done about the prices what so ever.
The supermarkets won't they've only got one objective to pay as little as possible to sell for a profit but undercut competition.

That leaves the govt, what happens? Nothing..

Even though many many people have said they'd be prepared to pay a bit more to help the industry and stop it dying out
Post #418617 24th Apr 2015 10:57am
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Quote:
that Blue badge holders cant have nice cars its basically discrimination

My daughter has a Blue Badge as she has mobility issues, my daughter also has a Mobility car that is replaced every three years, and without this car my daughter’s life would be poor. It allows her to have a job and travel to work. The blue badge allows her to park near shops which without this my daughter would have great difficulty. Saying that there are times when people park in these spaces that have no right to and I have no sympathy when these people are prosecuted for doing so.

I also mention about the Blue badge scheme because quite a few people are unaware what else you can obtain by having one, such as a free travel permit to go through most Toll roads, bridges and tunnels including the M6 Toll, these permits are obtainable from the operators both by post and through their web sites and last for three years. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #418620 24th Apr 2015 11:11am
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
I find it sad that 6 of the dairy units I've worked in over the years have all gone, now either "Rural Business" set ups(just offices for firms that have no real connection with the local area) or knocked down and exclusive country homes built on them. A couple of the units weren't overly small either, we were milking in excess of 250 cows on one of them and keeping our own replacement stock with a pretty involved breeding programme.
I know that we can produce more milk per cow than back in our fathers day but even so it is one hell of a balancing act between costs and return and no matter how much you don't like it, economics speak volumes.
Then there's the sheep, I was a shepherd on an estate running a total of 1350 ewes in the South Midlands which was a large flock for the area, now they just have a few tack sheep to help keep the parkland bit grazed so the view from the big house looks a bit tidier. On that estate when I was first employed as a student in the early 1980's there were 20 men employed on the various parts of the estate, now there's 2 with contractors used for everything else. That include the 3 men employed full time for maintenance for all the estate buildings and 50+ houses that were either tied with the jobs or rented out to locals.
Post #418622 24th Apr 2015 11:17am
Birdy

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
“free travel permit…”

Never did quite understand that, nor the exemptions from parking charges. They’re disabled/handicapped, not poor! And if double yellow lines are painted on a road presumably because parking there would cause a hazard, why should ANY vehicle be allowed on them? More honest to simply have signs saying “This stretch of road reserved for Blue Badge holders only”? WITH payment, of course.

Longer entitlements for the handicapped/disabled - it may take them longer to shop than the able bodied - and, of course, reserved places closer to amenities ‘cos the fully fit can walk farther.

But, unfortunately, the many abuses of Blue Badges (“Why should I pay for parking when I can park on double yellows and cause an obstruction?”) will cause a backlash and the genuine disabled will suffer.

If UKIP pledges to throw out BB abusers along with foreign-born nurses, care workers, dentists and surgeons as they seem to be suggesting, they’ll get my vote.

Peter
Post #418938 25th Apr 2015 4:15pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Quote:

Never did quite understand that, nor the exemptions from parking charges. They’re disabled/handicapped, not poor!

Most private car parks charge the same for Blue Badge users as anyone else. Some council run car parks do not charge for badge holders, but most do. The parking on some roads is free for all, the only difference is that Blue Badge holders can park on certain double yellow lines or if there is restricted time parking, badge holders can park for longer, often because it is realised by local councils that disabled people take longer to walk back and forth than able bodied folk do. On parking bays that are at the side of roads some are free some and some are not for Blue Badge holders.

I think it is a well-recognised and known fact that most disabled people who have a serious disability cannot work and as such their income is limited, similarly disabled children who also have a Blue Badge often need a parent to be a full time career again limiting the earning power of the family so for some being able to park at no cost helps them financially. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #418942 25th Apr 2015 4:33pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>