Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
JustStarting

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Barolo Black
4 Months of Urban Truck Ownership
Well that's it, 4 Months done and 1800 miles

So how has it been?

Great is the answer.

Sadly the fact that i have a fairly short commute and that its not my daily driver hasn't helped the mileage, however I really do try and take it out as often as possible and if I know I am off to a meeting or somewhere I will grab the keys.

I still think it looks fantastic and the feedback I have received from young and old has been great. I think in general the recent press about the Defender has also raised its profile so much too

Ok, time to be honest, the not so good bits::::

I have to admit I didn't take an extended test drive in a Puma before I purchased this Truck, my experience had been mainly my 300tdi and also friends of mine and their Trucks.
I was pleasantly surprised initially by the drive of the Truck when I first got it, in hindsight the initial feeling was probably more to do with the tightness and feel of the drive than the actual mechanical drive of the Truck.
Compared to my 160000 miles tdi it runs like a dream

I am still surprised and in some ways disappointed that our new works Transit drives better than my 2.2tdci Defender and that the techie's are unable to tune out the problems that many owners report. Personally I don't experience the kangaroo issues but I definitely have the "Rev Hang", and also the noise that I describe as "pinking". I have learnt to adjust my driving style and for the noise I just turn the stereo up!

Is it the end of the world, No its not but why cant it be solved? and if as some people say its meant to be there and a trait of the Defender then why does it not appear in every' Truck??

Some strange things bug me too, like the fact the wiper motor in my Tdi is quieter than the Puma
The fact when you put the AC on the fan runs instantly
The fact that in my opinion the Fan speeds are not correct, I think the fan needs a half speed
The radio reception is not great

All minor things but niggles nether the less

When I was sat down with some mates the other day talking about the Truck and my views on it, they summarised "my" Defender quite well.

Regardless of what you do to it, and how shiny the paint is, regardless of how nice the wheels are, or how many accessories I add to it, it will always be a commercial Truck with some nice seats in it, A cool Truck but a Truck nevertheless. Hence I need to put up and shut up!!

However I think that to steal the tag line of a fellow forum member, we don't own these trucks, we are merely working on them for the next owner!! In my case I would love to pass my trucks to the kids. At the moment we are having great weekends together tinkering and going off road at every occasion.

I kind of saw the purchase from Urban Truck as a finishing school for the Truck but I have since added a few bits and pieces to the Truck

First thing I did was add some extra security, 4 extra pieces to be precise so I hope that has now made it slightly more secure. I still do a double check when I am parking up on a street etc

Next on the list, (thanks to the forum) was the quick steering rack adjustment, to help with the turning circle which was ridiculous.
I really cant recommend this enough to anyone who has a Puma. I am guessing that someone must have done this on my tdi as it was way better than the Puma standard.

Next on the list was the installation of a Mantec Rear Wheel Carrier. It was obvious within a matter of weeks that the rear spare wheel was affecting the closing of the back door. On more than one occasion the rear door swung open when I pulled away. Thankfully no damaged occurred but now with the wheel carrier fitted the rear door closes effortlessly. It also looks great too, very solid and well made.

Click image to enlarge

Having taken the Mrs out for a trip up the motorway, the heating was next on the list.
I purchased a heat deflector from MUD and I must say that the feedback about poor finish and ruff edges etc where not
apparent on the item I received and wow what a difference! Again WHY cant JLR make this or fit it??

Click image to enlarge

I also bought a pair of rear door opening extenders which I then sprayed black rather than leave in the shiny metal finish, they really do make a difference to the access in the rear

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Last mod I did was the seat riser and recliner, ironically I thought it would be cool to buy the Exmoor Trim styled unit rather than the standard one that MUD sell and which I fitted effortlessly in my tdi.
Having fitted them I then realised that due to having the Recaro's the design made it impossible for the seat to slide forwards!! Embarassed Embarassed
This led to a few F's and B's being voiced but a quick session in the vice and a quick cut away section and re-spray and hey voila!

Click image to enlarge

So that's it for now!
I have a few ideas I am mulling over but trying to enjoy the Truck for now

Thanks to everyone on this forum as its via here that I have found all information and feedback
Looking forward to seeing how this year unfolds. MY2015 110 Urban Truck Expedition Spec
2005 Td5 TwinCab
1998 110 CSW 300tdi
Post #388923 16th Jan 2015 1:32am
steve E

Wales 
A very nice read
and a very nice Truck

look forward to the next instalment

Steve
Post #388947 16th Jan 2015 10:02am
munch90

England 
the air con fan comes on when you switch ac on to protect the compressor
Post #388951 16th Jan 2015 10:15am
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Good honest write up, do you think that going for the Urban Truck was extra money well spent (I know they are kinda realistically priced, unlike the others out there)?

Maybe the extras that you have added since, UT could look into supplying on all their future builds (good for Mud and UT).
Post #388959 16th Jan 2015 10:47am
JustStarting

munch90 wrote:
the air con fan comes on when you switch ac on to protect the compressor

Ah ok I didn't know this.

I have just got a second hand motor unit from the scrapping I am playing with it to see if it is happy to run at half speed.

I find it a little noisy even at its lowest setting MY2015 110 Urban Truck Expedition Spec
2005 Td5 TwinCab
1998 110 CSW 300tdi
Post #388979 16th Jan 2015 11:49am
URBAN TRUCK

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Santorini Black
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Nice work
Post #388990 16th Jan 2015 12:18pm
Venomator

United Kingdom 
That seems like a good honest round up of most of our experiences of living with a Landy JS... Thumbs Up

And, if you carry on with that kind of mileage you will have a nice little investment for the future... Whistle
 Rog... Mr. Green
The GREEN One...

MY2016 Urban Truck Build Thread - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic40548....al[/color]
Post #388995 16th Jan 2015 12:26pm
acuss01

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Thanks very much for sharing this JustStarting. Can you explain a little bit more about the Mantec Rear Wheel Carrier. I don't really understand its purpose or how it works? Thanks! 2015 110 XS CSW Montalcino Red with Black Pack
Post #389019 16th Jan 2015 1:16pm
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Hello JustStarting

Thanks for this...a good read.

Totally agree with the 300tdi Vs Puma observations too...

I would also add that as you say the Defender / Puma will always be a Truck, despite what you do to it, that a comprehensive sound deadening exercise to the standard interior really does change the experience of a long distance trip, it also significantly helps if you have any 1/2 decent ICE fitted.

I didn't know about the Heat Deflectors form MUD I will check these out... thanks.
I have looked at this area a few times recently, working out how to improve what
is an obvious 'short coming' in the standard design from Land Rover...
They really should have sorted this but that opportunity has now gone.

Yesterday I parked next to the first Urban Truck I have seen close up, I did give it a reasonable walk around and was impressed, the add on parts looked to be well fitted, the owner arrived (not on here) and we got talking, we then went through the you show me yours... I''ll show you mine routine, and I came away very impressed. Not over done but what was there was done well.

anyway good luck with the next 4 months SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html
Post #389033 16th Jan 2015 2:08pm
JustStarting

GREENI wrote:
Good honest write up, do you think that going for the Urban Truck was extra money well spent (I know they are kinda realistically priced, unlike the others out there)?

Maybe the extras that you have added since, UT could look into supplying on all their future builds (good for Mud and UT).

Hi Greeni, thanks for the comments

I did a lot of research when I was buying the Truck and at that time I was going to build one myself using a stock XS
When I priced it all up and looked into it, the deal I struck with Simon was better IMO

It also happened that I loved all the stuff that Simon / Urban Truck had on their Expedition Spec Trucks.

I am sure that the list of what you can add will be never ending but I am sure that Simon will be adding to his spec as time goes on

I have a few more things lined up Very Happy MY2015 110 Urban Truck Expedition Spec
2005 Td5 TwinCab
1998 110 CSW 300tdi
Post #389078 16th Jan 2015 5:35pm
JustStarting

Venomator wrote:
That seems like a good honest round up of most of our experiences of living with a Landy JS... Thumbs Up

And, if you carry on with that kind of mileage you will have a nice little investment for the future... Whistle

Cheers

To be honest I'm really not trying to keep the mileage low or anything, I have been there and done that and you still get bid in the goolies when you come to sell it!!!

I am planning some long trips abroad so will catch up the mileage I am sure Very Happy Very Happy MY2015 110 Urban Truck Expedition Spec
2005 Td5 TwinCab
1998 110 CSW 300tdi
Post #389079 16th Jan 2015 5:40pm
JustStarting

X4SKP wrote:
Hello JustStarting

Thanks for this...a good read.

Totally agree with the 300tdi Vs Puma observations too...

I would also add that as you say the Defender / Puma will always be a Truck, despite what you do to it, that a comprehensive sound deadening exercise to the standard interior really does change the experience of a long distance trip, it also significantly helps if you have any 1/2 decent ICE fitted.

I didn't know about the Heat Deflectors form MUD I will check these out... thanks.
I have looked at this area a few times recently, working out how to improve what
is an obvious 'short coming' in the standard design from Land Rover...
They really should have sorted this but that opportunity has now gone.

Yesterday I parked next to the first Urban Truck I have seen close up, I did give it a reasonable walk around and was impressed, the add on parts looked to be well fitted, the owner arrived (not on here) and we got talking, we then went through the you show me yours... I''ll show you mine routine, and I came away very impressed. Not over done but what was there was done well.

anyway good luck with the next 4 months

Cheers Skip

http://www.mudstuff.co.uk/mud-puma-heater-deflector.html

That's the link for the Deflector, I think they are the only one producing it at the moment.

As I mentioned there had been a few negative reviews about the quality of the finish but mine was perfect when it arrived MY2015 110 Urban Truck Expedition Spec
2005 Td5 TwinCab
1998 110 CSW 300tdi
Post #389084 16th Jan 2015 5:50pm
JustStarting

acuss01 wrote:
Thanks very much for sharing this JustStarting. Can you explain a little bit more about the Mantec Rear Wheel Carrier. I don't really understand its purpose or how it works? Thanks!

Sorry not the best pics but hopefully you can see that the wheel no longer sits, or should I say hangs on the back door

Click image to enlarge

Hopefully you can see its sat away from the door and the arm that its sat on?

Click image to enlarge

The Carrier is bolted onto the body and frame so its solid, then the weight of the wheel is balanced / spread-out along the carrier, the door closes so easily now

Looks like this without the wheel

The weight of the wheel was making my rear door sag and making it difficult to close properly MY2015 110 Urban Truck Expedition Spec
2005 Td5 TwinCab
1998 110 CSW 300tdi
Post #389088 16th Jan 2015 6:06pm
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Thanks JustStarting

The MUD PHD (Puma Heater Deflector) looks to be vacuum formed, at low volume this technique is right for an after market product of this type. The part coming off of the tool however needs to be trimmed back, which may be where the quality issues have arisen.

It's relatively little money so I'll give it a go. My whole dash has been out anyway to be refinished so to join in this part to would need to be colour coded to my vehicle, so any quality issues (i anticipate) would be dealt with.

Thanks again for following up... it's what makes this Forum the best place to be... Thumbs Up SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html

Last edited by X4SKP on 17th Jan 2015 8:48am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #389094 16th Jan 2015 6:18pm
CFB

United Kingdom 
Good write-up Thumbs Up

I agree about the heater fan speeds, I'm sure I saw a post a long time back from someone who had fitted a variable resistor of some sort that gave you infinite control over the blower speed. You leave the switch at full but then adjust with a rotary control to any speed you like rather than the preset 'steps'.

Certainly worth doing if you have the know how (which I don't) Andy
Post #389127 16th Jan 2015 7:15pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>