↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > Rosco's Montalcino 110
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 12 <123 4 ... 101112>
Print this entire topic · 
Rosco

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
The start of the Sankey Project
So, having been given the green light from SWMBO to get a sankey trailer for our family camping trips, I picked up my new purchase from Tiger last weekend

Click image to enlarge

Good purchase as the overall condition is very good, and is a credit to previous custodians.

The rear tub was in need of a good clean as it was a little oily

Click image to enlarge

So with this in mind, I spoke to my friendly tool hire company to lend me a steam cleaner for the weekend. Them being the commercial business they are, they could only find an industrial spec unit at 160kg, so that got dropped at my mates garage.

All I needed now was a little bit of child labour. Easily sorted. "Jack, fancy earning yourself a jammie wagon wheel?" Whistle

Click image to enlarge

Being at the garage, advice is always on hand, and a proper clean was suggested whilst the steam cleaner was available. So with a little extra muscle we did the underside

Click image to enlarge

And then one thing led to another and before you knew it the spanners were out and...

Click image to enlarge

As we've cleaned its revealed that over the years its been green, grey, black, a nasty blue, black and another shade of green.

Turned out to be a good idea as a little rot is starting to shop on the front outside edges on the floor, hidden from above by the joint, and below by the stonechip coating

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Only other bits that need looking at, front corner has been pierced by something in the past, possibly a forklift

Click image to enlarge

And the rear tailgate has seen better days, but could possibly be salvagable, unless a good replacement turns up for not too many beer tokens.

So left with the garage to cut out and plate the pieces in the floor and look at the split in the side whilst I mull of my list of needed parts to get it ready for a couple of trips sometime this summer. 2007 - Stornoway Grey 90 XS SW - Gone
2002 - Black Discovery II - Gone
2014 - Montalcino Red 110 XS SW

Last edited by Rosco on 31st Jul 2017 10:34pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #417135 18th Apr 2015 9:44pm
Rosco

Thought it was time for a little update as its been a while.

After a good clean and being taken to pieces I left the trailer down the garage for my mate to sort out the puncture wound in the side, and sort the corrosion to the floor

Click image to enlarge

Good as new.

I decided to give the chassis a good coating in black hammerite. Saturday morning comes and off to the garage i went, tin of paint and cheap brush in hand, ready for a theraputic painting session, only to be out classed in the toys department Laughing

Click image to enlarge

Whilst the tub was off, it had also revealed the original loom was starting to look its 30 odd years of age, so took the opportunity to strip it all off and start again with 7 core cable and also swap the lights to defender style lamps

Click image to enlarge

I can't decide if the triangle reflectors look a little too small. They are smaller than the originals but sit nicely inside the frame, so we'll save judgement until the tubs painted. I do know that the fog lights were a right pig to fit, and took a lot of trimming of the plastic casing to get them to squeeze into the surround in the chassis.

It was around this time that another arrival slowed everything down for me.

Click image to enlarge

I think he was listening to my plans for the trailer at this point, but it did give me a roadtrip companion to head over to Lincoln and collect the alloys.

Click image to enlarge

Fast forward a few weeks, and with defender arches received from Chris at CSK its time to start sizing up the infill pieces to make them work with the arches

Click image to enlarge

Quick trim to give a better fit. You can see the outer line of the arch marked on the tub.

Click image to enlarge

And were all ready to head off down to a friends garage to give it a coat of paint and mount the tyres to the alloys.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Once its back, time to remove the lifting rings from the hubs and fit the alloys and we should be all sorted and ready to roll. Thumbs Up 2007 - Stornoway Grey 90 XS SW - Gone

Last edited by Rosco on 31st Jul 2017 11:04pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #433659 25th Jun 2015 8:50pm
Rosco

Thought it time for another overdue update.

Trailer has been painted, and phone call from the painter expressing concern over the finish. I drove over to see for myself, and it then became clear he'd never painted Land Rover products before. He was expecting flat panels Laughing Soon allayed his fears when I pointed to the factory fit panel ripples.

Any way trailer looked good.

Click image to enlarge

Just bed liner, arches and alloys to sort. The tyre I'd picked up off eBay has a split in the sidewall so the hunt is back on.

This morning it got pressed into its first use in anger to collect furniture.

Click image to enlarge

Looks pretty good I think 2007 - Stornoway Grey 90 XS SW - Gone

Last edited by Rosco on 31st Jul 2017 11:13pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #442176 1st Aug 2015 3:06pm
Rosco

Got a couple of jobs done this weekend. Fitted the rear door strut from Brendan, and also took the opportunity to fit some sound deadening whilst the trim panel was off.

Click image to enlarge

Having ordered two sheets of Dynamat I had some left over so took the opportunity to fit some to the drivers door

Click image to enlarge

All this was too much hard work for my assistant

Click image to enlarge

Having a look under the floor mats to decide how to attack adding Dynamat to the floor I found the drivers footwell to be a lot of water trapped. Same on the passenger side but a much smaller amount. I also noticed a bit of a gap on the floor panels

Drivers side

Click image to enlarge

Passenger side

Click image to enlarge

Is this the cause of my water ingress problem? Bulkhead end of the footwell is bone dry and no sign of water marks.

Also managed to fit the jate rings that have been sat in the garage for at least 4 months, gave it a through clean (outside) and polish and got the marks off the wing from the earlier altercation with the Citroen. Whilst cleaning I've already found a couple of paint/finish issues which I'll pick up with the dealer when it goes in for its first service (only 1000 miles away)

On the to do list
-Finish the sound proofing to the doors
-Audio upgrade on the speakers
-Fit an internal light above the second row seats
-Fit a glove box
Thumbs Up 2007 - Stornoway Grey 90 XS SW - Gone

Last edited by Rosco on 31st Jul 2017 11:29pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #454733 13th Sep 2015 6:37pm
Rosco

Today marks 12 months since picking up the 110, so about time for a quick update.

In that time we've covered 14,500 miles, averaged 25mpg, had one service, but several other visits to the stealers for water ingress with another return booked in for Tuesday.

Since my last update I've fitted the MSS glovebox and it has proved its worth already, and added the Alpine KTP-445 amp which has made the sound a little crisper on the factory speakers.

I still need to crack on sourcing and fitting upgraded speakers and dynamat, but until the water issue is resolved I'll hold off for now. 2007 - Stornoway Grey 90 XS SW - Gone
Post #487795 2nd Jan 2016 2:48pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Thumbs Up good thread thank you,
Post #487805 2nd Jan 2016 3:18pm
L110CDL

England 
^ ^ ^ ^

same as JOW Thumbs Up
Post #487992 2nd Jan 2016 11:17pm
Rosco

So its back from the stealers for their third attempt at solving the water ingress issue into the front footwells.

August was door seals
December was bulkhead seal
This month, throw as much sealant on it as will stick!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

And the drivers side is no better. So whilst they appear to have solved the issue, it now looks like a dogs dinner, and the wind noise now when driving is atrocious. Guess where its going back too!!! Not a happy bunny Evil or Very Mad 2007 - Stornoway Grey 90 XS SW - Gone

Last edited by Rosco on 31st Jul 2017 11:37pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #490378 9th Jan 2016 8:16pm
mcma1

Would love a trailer... In corris grey!

I don't want to tempt anything but my 110 appears to be leak free... Shocked after every power wash I am always expecting to see a puddle or two somewhere but none yet..I do have some corrosion spots on the list.... Sad Andy

2014 Fuji 110 SW LS3
https://www.defender2.net/forum/post751233.html#751233

2014 Corris 110 SW
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic40056.html

My old Xtech 90 build..
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic15681.html

LS3 V8 build...
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic49051.html
Post #490395 9th Jan 2016 9:08pm
JamieL

United Kingdom 
During the factory tour on Thursday, myself and a few of the others in the group, had to laugh when the tour guide explained that all new Defenders go through the monsoon booth before having the door cards fitted. Apparently, if they fail the test then they locate the source of the leak and fix it Shocked
Post #490422 9th Jan 2016 10:02pm
Rosco

Jamie, I think you possibly misheard them. They source and fit a leak! 2007 - Stornoway Grey 90 XS SW - Gone
Post #490431 9th Jan 2016 10:12pm
barbel jim

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green
Shocked amazing what they think you'd accept !! Have they checked the windscreen ? I've been doing the wiper wheel boxes on my td5 today. Over the last 3 years I have systematically seal all the know weak points but still suffered water ingress. Whilst all the dash was out today, and with the amazing weather, I could see the water coming in through the windscreen rubber. There's a small internal lip/gutter that it ran along before dripping down into the footwell. Need to contact auto glass again Rolling Eyes
Post #490461 9th Jan 2016 11:22pm
HossBog

United Kingdom 
Well, it might be a wet Defender, but it looks great. Montalcino red is my favourite colour and still quite rare. Looks esp good with the black pack. 2002MY Defender 90 H/T
Post #490700 10th Jan 2016 7:42pm
Rosco

Thought its about time for an update, and guess what? It leaks!

After the last visit (3rd attempt), it went back and the bodge was rectified (4th attempt) and all looked well. A passing comment from one of the lads at work, at the start of February made me go out to the car park and check the footwells. Surprise surprise, its wet/damp under the matting.

Phone call back to the stealer, to which I was greeted with "Hello... oh don't tell me it's still leaking". Well at least we didn't need to waste time explaining the issue.

To highlight how bad it is:

Saturday morning

Click image to enlarge

Sunday morning

Click image to enlarge

I had to empty the mat out at this point as it was full.

By agreement, we've now got LR Customer Services involved, and I've had a Disco 4 to run around in for the last fortnight, but it is all getting a little beyond the pale now. I'll not fault the service I've had from the stealers (ignoring the mastic fantastic episode), but how many times before enough is enough? Even they're at a loss with it. Windscreen has been out and resealed, they've had the dash out of it, bulkhead seals, door seals, and they can't get it to replicate the problem using a hose. Its a case of try something and park it outside until it rains.

On the upside it is helping to keep the mileage down 2007 - Stornoway Grey 90 XS SW - Gone

Last edited by Rosco on 31st Jul 2017 11:44pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #514552 15th Mar 2016 3:04pm
jk84

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Rosco, very sorry to see this! It seems it's been a proper headache Big Cry Hope it hasn't taken all the joy from the Defender ownership... You know you should take it off-roading and do some proper wading - at least then you feel there is a reason for all the water in the truck. Although you may need to submerge Very Happy Just trying to cheer you up sir! Good luck with sorting it out. MY15 Aintree 110 SW - for sale - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic82781.html
MY16 Santorini 90 HT - sold
Post #514938 16th Mar 2016 3:40pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 12 <123 4 ... 101112>