↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Battery dead but very warm- what do i do?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
munch90

England 
^^^ Thumbs Up

you may find the alternator is still charging , but its the discharge by something you need to test ,

that can only really be done with a charged battery connected , check current load then unplug things till it drops to next to nothing , really you want roughly 0.2-0.3 amp draw with key off but normal things left like clock ,alarm etc

but i would still start by unplugging alternator first

remember most things on a car that draw current either light up or make a noise when in use ,,,, alternator doesnt do either !
Post #380787 21st Dec 2014 8:35pm
shaggydog

United Kingdom 1991 Defender 110 200 Tdi USW Arles Blue
^^^ Very true Bow down Bow down

I haven't got a multimeter which is a bit of a pain so will have to search out someone who does.

Lots of things to think about and try tomorrow. Thanks again guys all your suggestions and comments have been very helpful! Bow down Bow down Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Self confessed mileage hunter Very Happy
Post #380793 21st Dec 2014 8:46pm
shaggydog

Sorted Hurrah!
Had to eliminate the battery as the cause because it was nagging at me about it being warm - pointless to put new charge straight into a dodgy battery.

So went down to halfords because they were close and could do a battery test on it, plugged in and low and behold old battery was supposed to kick out 720A and was flopping out 317A - something dead within it.

Also used the diagnostics thing to check the charge circuit and load and various other things and the diagnostics thing pronounced it all safe and working well.

So out came the 663 battery and in went (a tiny by comparison) Yuasa Silver thing with a 5 year warranty on it.

I have kept the 663 as I might be able to get it repaired and kept as spare.

Thanks for all your help guys but for now looks like mischief managed Very Happy Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Post #380934 22nd Dec 2014 12:38pm
munch90

England 
mmm , sorry still not conviced the battery is your only problem !

seen it hunderds of times , battery replaced then flat again after a couple of days
Post #380936 22nd Dec 2014 12:43pm
shaggydog

Ok thats fine, So now we can rule out the battery, what do I check now and how? Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Post #380937 22nd Dec 2014 12:47pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
have you (or any previous owners) made any electrical changes ? have you made any changes recently ?
Post #380938 22nd Dec 2014 12:49pm
munch90

England 
if your battery was dead dead flat it could take a few days to recover on a low charge (batterys don't like being dead flat ) , maybe why only 317a

like I said to could be still being charged by alternator , if that's what they checked for (should be 13.6ish volts when running . did they do a discharge test on the battery/defender to check what current is being used sitting switched off

very very rare a battery just goes dead in a short time normally go down hill slowly

batterys only normally get warm when there is a high current draw on them

if a battery shorts out inside its normally on one cell , never known one to get warm and normally go flat over a few days

if the battery has a broken link in a cell then there is no circuit so wont get warm

its the getting warm bit that throws a spanner in the works , but your warm and my warm could be to different things

I would get a current draw test done to be sure

is there much of a spark when you connect the battery up to the defender battery leads ?

why was the battery fitted smaller , with std style lead acid batterys , size matters normally ?

guessing it was a 096 battery fitted , ok its a diesel battery , but would prefer a bit more reserve just in case lights left on etc
Post #380941 22nd Dec 2014 1:01pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Nearly three pages and not a single mention of what the nominal terminal voltage the battery is/was giving/reading? Apart from the fact it must have been too low to allow the charger to charge?

Brendan touched on this on page 1...If a battery has a short circuited cell it will never reach full voltage as each cell equates to a full capacity of 2.2 volts. The alternator will keep trying to charge it until one of two things happen...The thermal trip (if the system has one incorporated) will trip and isolate the battery or the electrolyte will eventually boil. Silt within batteries has also been known to build up within the battery cell and eventually short out the plates within that cell, the battery will get warm as effectively you will have a small short between positive and negative and the remaining cells will discharge through that short. That singular cell will get hot and the heat generated disseminate through the whole battery. If your battery is not sealed you can try a flush with demineralised distilled water and subsequently refill with fresh electrolyte to attempt to regenerate it. Personally if the battery has indeed been proven to have failed and the charging circuit seems alright I wouldn't worry about any more investigative hassle.

Invest in a multimeter and learn how to use it. They do not cost much. Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #380947 22nd Dec 2014 1:22pm
shaggydog

I haven't made any electrical changes at all since I installed the radio 2 years ago.

Spot lights and rear work light work off the battery so could check the wires for any breaks or signs of rubbing.

There has always been a spark when I connect and disconnect the battery but I wouldn't know what to compare it to?

Unfortunately I don't know what tests he did, he just ran through all the tests on the module which I assume would have done a draw test on it as part of the test.

The by warm I mean she had been stood since 12:45pm and checked at 8pm-ish, rest of the car was very cold to the touch battery was more than human body temperature. Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Post #380951 22nd Dec 2014 1:51pm
shaggydog

Quote:
Invest in a multimeter and learn how to use it. They do not cost much.

Definitely on the Christmas list. Thumbs Up Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Post #380952 22nd Dec 2014 1:53pm
Venomator

United Kingdom 
K9F wrote:
Invest in a multimeter and learn how to use it. They do not cost much. Thumbs Up
A good enough place to start looking for a > MultiMeter? < ... Whistle  Rog... Mr. Green
The GREEN One...

MY2016 Urban Truck Build Thread - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic40548....al[/color]
Post #380953 22nd Dec 2014 1:55pm
shaggydog

Put the old battery on charge to see if it can get up to full charge.

before doing that I took each cover off and had a peer in- each one has liquid in it so none are dry but never looked into one before so don't know if this is normal.

Click image to enlarge

Top of battery with all covers removed, Negative to the left, positive to the right.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

All pots from negative to positive.

Do they look ok? Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Post #380959 22nd Dec 2014 2:19pm
Venomator

United Kingdom 
^ ^ ^
They certainly do look to have the requisite amount of liquid in each one... Thumbs Up

But that is not necessarily an indicator of the condition for each compartment... Whistle

It will be interesting to know what it is holding after a couple of days on trickle, as mentioned above... Cool
 Rog... Mr. Green
The GREEN One...

MY2016 Urban Truck Build Thread - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic40548....al[/color]
Post #380961 22nd Dec 2014 2:38pm
shaggydog

Quote:
They certainly do look to have the requisite amount of liquid in each one...

But that is not necessarily an indicator of the condition for each compartment...

Very true, I don't have any distilled water to top it up with and I'm not convinced it needs it so have just left it all sealed up again on charge.

Just done a fairly simple check to see if it was the voltage regulator on the alternator - started engine turned lights on and then revved the engine to see if they got brighter or showed any sign of change - no sign of change and no brighter or dimmer so thats another thing off the list.

This is quite exciting really I'm mystified with electrics usually so this is a good way to learn about it so once again thanks guys for all your input its very helpful and I'm learning a lot Bow down Bow down Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Post #380965 22nd Dec 2014 2:49pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Disconnect negative first....reconnect negative last = NO SPARK. If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #380972 22nd Dec 2014 3:24pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 6 <123456>