↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Rear brake pads
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Rear brake pads
as some of you might already know I'm not the most mechanically apt on here.....

anyhow had a go at replacing my pads last night. the photo below is old pad (50k Miles) vs new pads.

I did wonder where or not to put the old pads back because they only looked circa 50% worn but then I though while I have the new pads at hand and they are mega money I'd chuck them in.

also the chamfered edge on the pads is that there simply to stop some kind of binding or is it some kind of wear indicator in which case the pads were in fact almost worn out?

also if you zoom in you might be able to see the chrome finish on the pistons has rusted / flaked off. a bit disappointing but perfectly normal I presume?

Click image to enlarge
Post #376546 5th Dec 2014 10:33am
NickH

England 2003 Defender 90 Td5 PU Rimini Red
Hey Pal

I have just done front and rear pads on mine, you are right they do only look 50% down but what you also need to remember is the pad material becomes brittle with age so doesnt stop you aswell.

The chamfered bit goes nearest the floor if that makes sense ? it is supposed to stop the brakes grabbing.

The pistons do loose their chrome quite quickly but so long as they are not seized/leaking they will be fine.
Fitting new pads prolongs their life because the piston goes back into its bore which protects it from the elements.

Thumbs Up 2003 Td5 90
2013 sport hse
2012 700 raptor quad
2012 siromer 4x4 tractor
Post #376561 5th Dec 2014 12:33pm
jimbob7

Wow, a pad change in the dark this time of year,bit brave innit Shocked ?
Some pads are chamfered some aren't I believe chamfered types benefits pads fitted to old discs.As for corrosion,yeah,it's normal,annually stripping,cleaning and greasing the caliper helps keep the rust away tho.After a good clean I use silicon grease but gonna try some ceramic grease next year,I won't use copper grease anymore coz it's not good for the piston seals. Pov.spec,ftw. 2006, 110,TD5.
Post #376566 5th Dec 2014 12:47pm
Caterham

thanks NickH.

was pleasantly surprised at how smoothly the pistons retracted to be fair so .... Thumbs Up

.....good old me - pulled the old pads out and greased everything up which meant I lost the evidence / clues on how to put the stuff back together Embarassed

anyhow all back and good.

onto rear n/s tonight and possibly front at the weekend.

other than the cold and a little drizzle was very pleased at how easy a job it is.

...as always though, trying to improve economy and loose weight I've ditched the two pins and springs the pads came with.....slid the pads in and they didn't fall out so not sure what use those pins are unless you aint got no discs then they might fall out but obviously I have. Thumbs Up
Post #376567 5th Dec 2014 12:49pm
NickH

England 2003 Defender 90 Td5 PU Rimini Red
whoa

tell me your joking about the pins....please Exclamation 2003 Td5 90
2013 sport hse
2012 700 raptor quad
2012 siromer 4x4 tractor
Post #376569 5th Dec 2014 12:56pm
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
Shocked Laughing Question Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #376577 5th Dec 2014 1:14pm
Rickydodah

Caterham wrote:
thanks NickH.

was pleasantly surprised at how smoothly the pistons retracted to be fair so .... Thumbs Up

.....good old me - pulled the old pads out and greased everything up which meant I lost the evidence / clues on how to put the stuff back together Embarassed

anyhow all back and good.

onto rear n/s tonight and possibly front at the weekend.

other than the cold and a little drizzle was very pleased at how easy a job it is.

...as always though, trying to improve economy and loose weight I've ditched the two pins and springs the pads came with.....slid the pads in and they didn't fall out so not sure what use those pins are unless you aint got no discs then they might fall out but obviously I have. Thumbs Up

WTF...please tell me you're joking about the pins. If not can you please post a picture of your Defender so I can avoid you. Confused I started with nothing and still have most of it left!
Post #376589 5th Dec 2014 1:35pm
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
Shocked Why would you not put the new springs and clips in at the same time. They supply them as they need changing at the same time. Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #376603 5th Dec 2014 1:56pm
jimbob7

Rolling Eyes Pov.spec,ftw. 2006, 110,TD5.
Post #376607 5th Dec 2014 2:13pm
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
In case it needs to be put into words (lazily copied and modified from the first website I looked at):

"Many brake pads look similar in design and it is easy to get supplied the wrong parts. Using the wrong parts (e.g. leaving the anti-rattle clips/springs out altogether) can be dangerous as the brake rattle if excessive could mean the pads moving in the caliper and becoming even jammed and not operating properly. Brake pad rattle can also lead to the pads skewing sideways and locking in the caliper causing the backing plates to be bent and the friction material to be broken away and cause immense problems."

Please let this all be a joke... Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #376608 5th Dec 2014 2:16pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Caterham wrote:

We have talked about your fascination with economy before Caterham and I applaud you for your latest endeavour i.e. reducing the overall weight by ditching the pins and springs. On the other hand have you considered the extra weight of brake fluid and the extra mass of the callipers, discs, pads and brake lines? Whistle

Just a suggestion and forgive me if you have already considered this and marked it for a weekend job! But if you remove the brake fluid, callipers, discs, pads and brake lines, I am sure you would notice an improvement in your overall economy, plus and here is the clever bit, on each journey you would probably find yourself completing the journey in another vehicle albeit with sirens and flashing lights but this journey would be free and would require no fuel being used in the Defender whatsoever. Laughing
Post #376612 5th Dec 2014 2:49pm
Caterham

Been tied up this afternoon pulling def out of ditch....would appear there's a problem with the rear brake - might be related to the pads having dropped out or something...

Laughing
Laughing

Only joking -pins n springs did go back in Thumbs Up

Jimbob7 thanks for telling me about the copper grease after having puts loads on Crying or Very sad

Brave doing it in the dark, cold and wet.......?

No just plain stupid I guess Whistle
Post #376631 5th Dec 2014 4:12pm
Caterham

On a serious note the pads didn't come with any s/s shims so rightly or wrongly I re-used the existing?

Seems ok. The only thing that I'd surprise me was first application of brake felt like the pedal was going to hit the floor like there was no fluid in system but fine after that?

Thumbs Up
Post #376636 5th Dec 2014 4:23pm
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
That's the pads re-seating themselves and closing up the gap to the disc.  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #376638 5th Dec 2014 4:34pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Caterham

Aha - that makes perfect sense.

Thanks Martin.
Post #376640 5th Dec 2014 4:54pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>