↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Help with heater control cables.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Technic-al

Help with heater control cables.
I'm in the middle of trying to put my td5 90's dash back together after a complete rebuild. Unfortunately a lot of parts were missing from my donor vehicle so I've been unable to take pics of how things came apart etc. I'm having a lot of trouble trying to route the cables for my heater controls. The one on the right hand side seems to want to go between the instrument cowl and the metal bit that the cowl screws onto which I know can't be right. Please help Sad
Post #428786 5th Jun 2015 1:55pm
Technic-al

Is this in the wrong section?

Or do folk just put shiny wheels/stereos/seats on their vehicles on this forum? Wink
Post #428973 6th Jun 2015 10:38am
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Wheels, leather and other BS, obviously.

I have a 90 in a million pieces, I'm sure I can help, though your question is a bit vague.

Pictures may help.
Post #428980 6th Jun 2015 11:17am
Technic-al

Thanks for replying greeni. I would post some pics but I'm not near my 90 right now Sad I will try and explain better. My old donor truck didn't have a heater or any of the control cables when I got it. Now that I'm reassembling I'm having difficulty figuring out what goes where.
I have the heater bolted in place. I notice that there are 2 arms on the heater. I know that 1 is temperature control and the other is blower speed but not sure which is which. I think top one is temp but not 100%.
Also unsure how I am supposed to route the cables. I have a cable that comes out of lower dash in place already. I think this controls air direction (screen/feet) but the cable seems to be between the dash cowl and the metal piece that the cowl attaches to that is the whole width of the dash if that makes sense? This is stopping the dash cowl from fully tightening up.
Post #428982 6th Jun 2015 11:30am
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
There are three cables; temperature control, air flow on/off, and direction control (feet/screen). The first two go through the bulkhead and affix to the heater unit itself, the third just goes to the power dash duct. On the heater the temperature control lever is on the top and the air flow lever is on the side.

As for the routing it can be a bit of a fiddle, but there is room in there somewhere. What type of dash do you have? I have a 2006 bulkhead with the later style dash sitting in the workshop and could have a look at that if it would help?
Post #428984 6th Jun 2015 11:42am
Technic-al

Thanks retroanaconda. My (educated) guess at temp control being at the top was right! Smile I have later type td5 dash. Just standard. If you could take look that would be brill. Thanks.
Al
Post #428987 6th Jun 2015 11:48am
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Here we are, apologies for the poor photos - phone flash isn't that great.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

You can see the two cables from the right hand controls coming out into the space behind the binnacle. One then joins the cable from the left control and goes out through the rubber grommet thing (see other photo for them emerging and heading off across the back of the engine bay to the heater). The up/down direction control goes into the lower part of the dash, it's not 100% clear where on these photos but you should have the cable coming out of the lower dash duct already so it's just a case of routing it appropriately. Avoid sharp bends!
Post #428989 6th Jun 2015 12:25pm
Technic-al

Yes I can see where mine is wrong. On mine the cable that controls air direction is wrong side of cowl. Think I just need to pull it back out and route it underneath the side of the cowl and up onto the controller with the arms. Many thanks.
Post #428991 6th Jun 2015 12:35pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1