↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > MY2011/2012 Recall Action P047/048 Front Axle Case
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 37 <123 456 ... 353637>
Print this entire topic · 
charlesteton

United Kingdom 
Thanks everyone, enclose a few more closer up.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #380241 19th Dec 2014 12:17pm
charlesteton

United Kingdom 
Sorry a few turned upside down, hopefully right way up:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #380242 19th Dec 2014 12:22pm
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
blackwolf wrote:
The "reinforcement kit" only consists of the brackets and uses the existing bolts and self-locking nuts (which is in itself interesting since nylon insert stiff nuts, which my memory tells me these are, strictly shouldn't be reused).

I have to agree with blackwolf.............As an engineer I would never agree to Nylock nuts being reused, they are referred to in industry as "one Shot nuts" that means once removed they are scrap and should not be reused as they do not grip the threads of the bolt second time round and will come loose aftertime. Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #380247 19th Dec 2014 12:43pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
So the relative position of the arm in the bracket appears to have moved from the dgardel photo to the last one you have posted? Has the inner metal sleeve become detached from the rubber bushing?

Can't explain the gap seen though?

and they do seem to have made quite a mess on the head of the bolt.

Here's a suppose of how it went - it's a simple job - undo a couple of nuts, slide on bracket, do up nuts - so they got the new apprentice to do it. They tried to undo the bolt rather than the nut. The bolt was seized in the metal insert to the bush so the windy gun was employed and that has now ruined the bush. Radius arm is now sliding back and forth between the bracket.

Last edited by Supacat on 19th Dec 2014 12:51pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #380248 19th Dec 2014 12:44pm
charlesteton

United Kingdom 
I havn't moved the vehicle, took first set last night, when wet, and second set this morning, dry.
Post #380249 19th Dec 2014 12:47pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Ok but the right hand side gap between the bracket and radius arm appears to be smaller in the 2nd photo when compared to the first? Can the the radius arm move from side to side in the bracket?
Post #380252 19th Dec 2014 12:58pm
dgardel

Italy 
Retroanaconda wrote:
The gap between the radius arm casting and the axle bracket is normal. It's the gap between the inner bush sleeve and the bracket which was concerning dgardel.

Correct

Click image to enlarge
 Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #380287 19th Dec 2014 4:04pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
munch90

England 
a lot of the problem with the arms sitting offset in the axle mounts is because the bush hasn't been fitted central in the arm (from new proberly )

you can see the edge of the bush steel outer sleeve sticking out one side and in the other

agree looking at the picture the bolt looks like it needs tightening or at least checking
Post #380306 19th Dec 2014 6:08pm
charlesteton

United Kingdom 
Will have another look tomorrow, been out in it today. It's booked back in on 8th January for 4 year service and more warranty work. I do hope its just the photos as I had hoped I had found a decent dealer at last! Sad
Post #380310 19th Dec 2014 6:19pm
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
After checking on Topix last week, I was expecting the recall notice to arrive any day soon.

But then some b****** stole my 110 in the early hours of Wednesday morning (details posted in the Stolen section), so the clamp bodge is now irrelevant. Big Cry

What a pity the swivel housing and front wheel didn't part company from the axle whilst the scr*** was driving it away at speed, causing enduring pain and suffering for evermore.

'Tis the season of peace and goodwill to all men, but not to the lowlife who think it is OK to steal from others to line their own pockets with the fruits of another's hard labour.

At least I had a good time at the Land Rover Driving Experience this morning with my son, even though we had to turn up in the Tiguan. Laughing
Post #381021 22nd Dec 2014 5:28pm
charlesteton

United Kingdom 
Sorry sorry to hear mate... The situation has become appalling. Don't let the insurance company screw you as well.
Post #381054 22nd Dec 2014 6:34pm
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
Mine is booked into the dealer in Stratford after new year for these brackets. I just gave them my reg and they said yes it is subject to a recall and booked it in. 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1972 Series III 1-Ton Cherrypicker
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #381099 22nd Dec 2014 7:58pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
landybehr

wrote:
never agree to Nylock nuts being reused, they are referred to in industry as "one Shot nuts" that means once removed they are scrap and should not be reused as they do not grip the threads of the bolt second time round and will come loose aftertime.

I donīt think (but .. what do I know ? Smile ) that the Nyloc-insert stops the nut from coming loose. This little piece of plastic - what force might it be able to withstand? Other way round - Iīve been taught that is is the tensio of the bolt that keeps the couple of bolt and nut together. Given the correct torque was applied, the tension keeps everything in shape. The Nyloc can do nothing for that. If the bolt-nut looses that tension, whatever had been bolted together, it is already loose then. The Nyloc insert has itīs moment now, but only to prevent to nut from turning any further and eventually become lost. The nyloc is rather a "not loose the nut completely and that way prevent everything from falling apart" thing. The same applies to spring washers.

Think of cylinder head bolts. There is no nut, no loctite, even tightened with oil, AFAI-am-aware.
If a bolt is long enough (more than 3-4times the diameter) then it can stretch enough under the applied torque to do that, what I once thought that a spring washer would do. The bolt acts some way as a spring. But I repeat myself Wink.

Still itīs correct that Nyloc nuts are not meant to be reused.
Post #381479 24th Dec 2014 1:03am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Not so. Any form of elastic stop nut (the generic classification for a range of nuts of which the nyloc or polymer insert nut is a member) works by increasing the friction between the nut and the male thread above that produced by simply tightening the fastener to the correct torque, and by so doing prevent them from coming loose. They are emphatically not for the purpose of preventing nut loss, and in many applications a loose nut will be as catastrophic as a lost nut.

Opinions differ as to reuse. The FAA now allows reuse provided the application torque is within tolerance, however the RAF does not. Personally I will reuse once provided that in my assessment the nut is still fit for purpose.

On an exposed suspension component such as this I would inspect both nuts and bolts and only reuse if both are in good condition. If the exposed thread is at all corroded, for example, there is a possibility of damaging the nylon insert when fittings a new nut.

Generally speaking on a vehicle as recent as those affected by this recall I doubt that there will be a problem.
Post #381515 24th Dec 2014 10:37am
landybehr

Donīt want to argue for my former post. Just want not to err.

If a Nyloc insert increases the friction in a way - by friction - that it can stop the nut from getting loose ... then what does it do for the tightening process before the nut has come into contact with the parts that shall be safely bolted together ? ARAIK there is no special torque prescription for nyloc nuts. So itīs torqued down just as well es a simple nut. OTOH the friction of the insert (were it strong enough to hold the nut in place) would "steal" some Newonmetres from the tightening process. Wouldnīt it. As consequence the bolt wouldnīt get as well into "tension" as with a simple nut. .... please put me right.

OTOH itīs right, I think that I know that the nyloc thing is listed as a "not getting loose" item. Just as spring washers.
Still, somewhere I read that the only safe means of achieving that is a) split pin (Castled Nut) or b) Loctite !! Basically all others are "a means of" but not safe/failproof.
Post #381563 24th Dec 2014 12:53pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 37 <123 456 ... 353637>