↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Living with a solid fuel rayburn
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Mattyboy

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Santorini Black
Living with a solid fuel rayburn
I brought a small cottage earlier this year with a rayburn in the kitchen, it does all the cooking, heats two radiators upstairs and the DHW (though there is an immersion) There is also a wood burner in the lounge.
I’ve always wanted a Rayburn/ Aga, and this one is the smaller Rayburn Royal; to be fair I get on very well with it, I’ve made some improvements such as a pump on what was a gravity fed heating system (massive difference) and re-bricked it.
Things I’ve learnt so far, never let it go out, off-cuts of wood get it really hot but don’t last very long, logs don’t burn so hot but it will stay in all night and coal is expensive. Generally it’s like a child it needs constant attention, it’s very hungry, it can be a pain in the arse, has a mind of it’s own and could get expensive. But I love it, there are so many positives, especially with the free wood I can get from my garden and the skip at work.

So has any one got any advice or tips they would like to share, as winter fast approaches? I’ve had log burners before, so know all about dry wood and sweeping the chimney. 07 Defender 90 TDCI
98 Defender 90 300 Tdi
Land Rover Freelander
MG B GT
CBR 600
AEC Matador
but no washing machine
Post #374133 25th Nov 2014 1:41pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
I have an Aga and I love it but be careful when burning wood in these types of ranges as some wood can really soot the thing up. same as with your wood burner.
Here is a guide explaining about wood to burn in stoves ad Log burners

Alder Produces poor heat output and it does not last well. Poor

Apple A very good wood that bums slow and steady when dry, it has small flame size, and does not produce sparking or spitting. Good

Ash Reckoned by many to be one of best woods for burning, it produces a steady flame and good heat output. It can be burnt when green but like all woods, it burns best when dry. Very good

Beech Burns very much like ash, but does not burn well when green. Very good

Birch Produces good heat output but it does burn quickly. It can be burnt unseasoned; however the sap can cause deposits to form in the flue with prolonged use. Good

Cedar Is a good burning wood that produces a consistent and long heat output. It burns with a small flame, but does tend to crackle and spit and the sap can cause deposits to form in the flue with prolonged use. Good

Cherry Is a slow to burn wood that produces a good heat output. Cherry needs to be seasoned well. Good
Chestnut A poor burning wood that produces a small flame and poor heat output. Poor

Firs (Douglas etc) A poor burning wood that produces a small flame and poor heat output and the sap can cause deposits to form in the flue with prolonged use. Poor

Elm Is a wood that can follow several burn patterns because of high moisture content, it should be dried for two years for best results. Elm is slow to get going and it may be necessary to use a better burning wood to start it off. Splitting of logs should be done early. Medium

Eucalyptus Is a fast burning wood. The sap can cause deposits to form in the flue and can increase the risk of a chimney fire if burned unseasoned. Poor

Hawthorn Is a good traditional firewood that has a slow burn with good heat output. Very good

Hazel Is a good but fast burning wood and produces best results when allowed to season. Good

Holly Is a fast burning wood that produces good flame but poor heat output. Holly will burn green, but best dried for a minimum of a year. Poor

Hornbeam A good burning wood that burns similar to beech, slow burn with a good heat output. Good

Horse Chestnut A good wood for burning in wood stoves but not for open fires as it does tend to spit a lot. It does however produce a good flame and heat output. Good (For stoves only)

Laburnum A very smokey wood with a poor burn. Poor do not use

Larch Produces a reasonable heat output, but it needs to be well seasoned. The sap can cause deposits to form in the flue with prolonged use. Medium

Laurel Burns with a good flame but only reasonable heat output. It needs to be well seasoned. Medium

Lilac Its smaller branches are good to use as kindling, the wood itself burns well with a good flame. Good

Maple Is a good burning wood that produces good flame and heat output. Good

Oak Because of its density, oak produces a small flame and very slow burn, it is best when seasoned for a minimum of two years as it is a wood that requires time to season well. Good

Pear Burns well with good heat output, however it does need to be seasoned well. Good

Pine (Including Leylandii) Burns with a good flame, but the resin sap can cause deposits to form in the flue and can increase the risk of a chimney fire must be well seasoned. Good (with caution)

Plum A good burning wood that produces good heat output. Good

Poplar A very smokey wood with a poor burn. Very poor

Rowan Is a good burning wood that has a slow burn with good heat output. Very good

Robinia (Acacia) Is a good burning wood that has a slow burn with good heat output. It does produce an acrid and dense smoke but this is of course not a problem in a stove. Good (For Stoves only)

Spruce Produces a poor heat output and it does not last well. Poor

Sycamore Produces a good flame, but with only moderate heat output. Should only be used well-seasoned. Medium

Sweet Chestnut The wood burns ok when well-seasoned but it does tend to spit a lot. This is of course not a problem in a stove. Medium (For Stoves only)

Thorn Is one of the best woods for burning. It produces a steady flame and very good heat output, and produces very little smoke. Very good

Willow A poor fire wood that does not burn well even when seasoned. Poor

Yew A good burning wood as it has a slow burn, and produces a very good heat output. Very good
Post #374139 25th Nov 2014 2:04pm
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
I grew up with Rayburns/Agas and came across ones of all vintages in tied cottages over the years. One of the main tricks is knowing which wood gives the best results for the siuation you want, Softwoods like dry pine will burn very quickly and will give a good amount of heat, if it's wet or recently felled it will tar the chimney along with a lot of smoke. As a rule I could light a cold Rayburn with kindling and a dryish pine or well dried logs and get the thing up for cooking within ½ hour and for long slow burns have a good layer of embers and put a good lump of a dense hardwood or the real knotty lump that won't split and shut all the flaps right down. It was rare that the thing would be right out in the winter time and would often go 10 to 12 hours with a good lump on, living on farms gave us access to some decent overnight lumps such as chestnut, oak apple etc. We would only empty the ashes once a day when running them 24 hours, probably every other day when just using at night.
I must admit to missing the 'experience' but after moving to a 70's built box we have these gas powered things where you just press a button, even my woodburner is a fake but I don't have to keep feeding them or cleaning the ashes and trailing them all over the house Whistle
Post #374141 25th Nov 2014 2:16pm
jimbob7

Are wood chips/pellets not suitable,or is it a cost v free thing.Google sez £250 a tonne. Pov.spec,ftw. 2006, 110,TD5.
Post #374153 25th Nov 2014 4:01pm
gilarion

I may be wrong but I have been told that chips and pellets demand a special burner as they create a lot of woodgas that can cause a small explosion in a stove or log burner. Pellets and wood chips are more expensive than logs as well
Post #374154 25th Nov 2014 4:19pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
This is most certainly off topic for a car forum, although having said that there are quite a few people who live with stoves in their vehicles here in Chamonix Rolling Eyes

Can't offer any more help, except not to use hexi-blocks.... Laughing Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #374165 25th Nov 2014 5:19pm
gilarion

I could not live without my wood burner its heat output is amazing I also have one of the best things since sliced bread mounted on top of the burner which is a fan assist it really works and circulates the hot air all through the room, a must have if you have a log burner.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #374170 25th Nov 2014 6:04pm
Stue5

Italy 2005 Defender 110 Td5 USW Alpine White
A friend has installed a pellet burner this summer, he said that it was meant to be the cheapest way to heat his house....... but only time will tell. I find proper log burners satisfying/mesmerizing to feed/watch. (beats a tv).
I saw a aga type in a showman's wagon the owner said he had to used wood with a moister content no more than 20% but it was very economical( norsic brand?) Range Rover p38 4.6 99 lpg(gone Sad )
Post #374182 25th Nov 2014 7:02pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
We have just renovated an old farmhouse in the Alps and wanted to pop a burner into the living room. We had budgeted for the stove but not the flue. As it has to pass through a barn void that is 8m high, it has to be insulated, secure, etc etc. The price was 1000€/linear metre. Censored So no matter how lovely they are (and they are) it had to be put on the back-burner Rolling with laughter Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #374186 25th Nov 2014 7:09pm
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
We have a solid fuel AGA that's been in the property since the 1950's. Originally designed to burn smokeless fuel so that's what it gets, a bucket load at night and it stays in 24/7. I have a woodburner which works a treat in what was the farm office that has an old red tiled floor which is fed from wood gathered around the place. Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #374260 26th Nov 2014 10:58am
Mattyboy

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Santorini Black
That's interesting Steve, Does you're need only need one load of coal a day? I've got a ton of smokeless ready for when it gets cold. Cost wise how much coal do you get through? 07 Defender 90 TDCI
98 Defender 90 300 Tdi
Land Rover Freelander
MG B GT
CBR 600
AEC Matador
but no washing machine
Post #374266 26th Nov 2014 11:30am
Laurie

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
Our Rayburn was connected directly to the hot water cylinder when we bought our cottage. (Rusty baths if it got near boiling point!)
Check whether yours is the same and re-plumb to indirect if it is. (Same thing with radiators.) 
Post #374267 26th Nov 2014 12:06pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
gilarion

Grenadier wrote:
We have just renovated an old farmhouse in the Alps and wanted to pop a burner into the living room. We had budgeted for the stove but not the flue. As it has to pass through a barn void that is 8m high, it has to be insulated, secure, etc etc. The price was 1000€/linear metre. Censored So no matter how lovely they are (and they are) it had to be put on the back-burner Rolling with laughter

If the burner is attached to an outside wall could you not go through the wall and vent the flue outside that is how my flue is affixed straight up the outside wall to just above roof level. There is also a removable plate just above the exit that allows you to sweep the flue if necessary. Can’t quite recall how much the flue was but in the region of £300.00 fitted I think.
Post #374280 26th Nov 2014 1:13pm
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
I've got to agree with Laurie on the point that your hot water tank needs to be heated by an indirect method. The water heated by the Rayburn needs to be sealed and not be what comes out of your taps, when I redid my hot water system in the last cottage I renovated I had a 200l hot water cylinder with pipework that was coiled inside it that the water from the Rayburn passed through which in turn heated the water in the tank. The radiators were run off the sealed system as well so when the Rayburn heated the water in its boiler, hot water circulated through the tap water tank, the central heating was a normal set up with a circulation pump that pumped water round the radiators with a diverter valve fitted to isolate the tap water tank so hot water didn't get robbed back from there. I did put a gravity fed radiator on the upstairs landing to help with not cooking everything when the tank was hot and the central heating not on.
In the 2½ years we lived there before we sold the cottage we never used the electric immersion heater as in the summer the tank would give hot water for at least a couple of days, and even if we'd been away there'd be hot water in the tank an hour after lighting up.
I now have a gas combi boiler that is only on to heat what I use but there's no character, bit like the difference between driving a jelly mould to experiencing our Defenders Whistle
Post #374288 26th Nov 2014 1:53pm
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Mattyboy wrote:
That's interesting Steve, Does you're need only need one load of coal a day? I've got a ton of smokeless ready for when it gets cold. Cost wise how much coal do you get through?

Yep, one galvanised bucket [or 1/2 a hod] put in the AGA at night is enough to keep it in until the same time next night, in fact it will probably keep it going until the following morning too. I only riddle when I refill at night and empty the ash every couple of days. 15 sacks of anthracite from the local yard will almost fill the bunker, I guess that will last us 3 months or more. Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #374299 26th Nov 2014 2:59pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>