↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > What kit required to program VCV. Now sorted
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
What kit required to program VCV. Now sorted
What bit of kit is required to program a vcv?

Am I correct thinking a Nanocom does not offer this ability?

Thanks in advance
Andy

Last edited by landy andy on 31st Oct 2014 4:02pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #365921 20th Oct 2014 5:10pm
martinfiattech

England 
I know it`s not much help but a snap on solus ( not as good as it`s made out to be) on latest software can do pilot learn, but does not list vcv valve learn.
Our wabco kit at work used to do it but they have not renewed the licence this year so we lost this feature.
Our fiat examiner kit can do it for a 2.2 puma ducato, but I`ve never tried it on a landrover. As for the nanocom I`ve never used one. Excuse the spelling I`am better with spanners and wires.
Post #366001 20th Oct 2014 8:51pm
landy andy

Thanks for that info. Will continue to search.

Andy
Post #366008 20th Oct 2014 9:06pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Faultmate from BBS definitely can and is what I use. I don't know if Nanocom is likely to get an enhancement to add this, but I seem to recall a recent post by Pete Bell of BAS mentioning it. It would certainly be popular.
Post #366014 20th Oct 2014 9:21pm
landy andy

Yes I read Pete's post saying it did, but that now appears to have been altered. Will look into a Faultmate from BBS.

Thank you
Andy
Post #366022 20th Oct 2014 9:39pm
landy andy

I've been looking at the Blackbox solutions website and can find no info on the ability of the tool, or if it can program the vcv. I've asked BAS but Pete is away and don't want to harass him.

Why do the same company make the Nanocom and the Faultmate? What's the difference?

Andy
Post #366150 21st Oct 2014 1:17pm
blackwolf

Originally they were from seperate companies - Black Box Solutions made Faultmate, and someone else (I cannot immediately remember who) made Nanocom.

Traditionally Faultmate was a more capable and more high-end offereing, being probably the nearest affordable equivalent to Landrover's own system. Nanocom was a cheaper and more portable system, intented to do most of the routine things at a cost which put it within reach of far more enthusiasts. This was, of course, in the era of the TD5 and far predates the TDCi.

Eventually Nanocom got into some kind of financial or technical difficulty and Black Box Solutions took over Nanocom. They have continued to develop both products and are gradually aligning them, whilst retaining some USP and technical differentiators to give the products their own niches.

Unfortunately there are some things, mainly TDCi related, that nanocom cannot yet do, the fuel pump calibration being an example. It is to be hoped that these features will be included in upgrades to Nanocom.

I have a Faultmate system with licences for my Disco2 and my Puma. The Faultmate licences are VIN-specific, so the system will not work on vehicles other than these (there are different licencing models for Faultmate at different prices, but to cover two vehicles the cheapest way is two, single vehicle licences). I also have a Nanocom with Disco2 systems, TD5 systems, and Puma (CANbus) systems licences, which means that it will work on any TD5 Disco2 or TD5 or Puma Defender, it is not VIN locked. There are however things which the Nanocom cannot do but the Faultmate can.

It is a bit confusing, however for a single affordable system I think that Nanocom wins. The downside is that the "missing" TDCi fuel calibration operations are a real pain in the whatnot, and must, I think be hitting Nanocom sales. Let us hope that BBS update the Nanocom software soon with this capability.
Post #366152 21st Oct 2014 1:39pm
John P

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
Hi Blackwolf

I'm new to the Defender, and have just purchased a 2012 XS 2.2. I have a D3 and have the BBS Faultmate MSV-2 which I use for all my D3 issues and programming. What can be achieved on the Defender with the correct licence?

Thanks
John
Post #366158 21st Oct 2014 2:03pm
landy andy

Wow Blackwolf, great explanation. So I will need to buy the lesser of the two systems to do the learning of the vcv, but then later on they will probably add it to the better system of the Nanocom. Great.

Why develop two systems side by side Evil or Very Mad

This is pizzing me off now. If it's something that fails, why is no one dealing with it.

Any body want to buy a 110dc, because I've had enough of it.
Post #366165 21st Oct 2014 2:40pm
blackwolf

John P wrote:
I have a D3 and have the BBS Faultmate MSV-2 which I use for all my D3 issues and programming. What can be achieved on the Defender with the correct licence?

You can do just about everything with Faultmate !

You can read and clear faults and read and write configurations settings on all three Puma systems (EMS, IPAC, and AS10).

Soon-to-be-Landyless Andy(!) wrote:
So I will need to buy the lesser of the two systems to do the learning of the vcv, but then later on they will probably add it to the better system of the Nanocom.

Faultmate is not the lesser system, rather the opposite, it is the more comprehensive (and expensive) system.

can you not make contact with a forum member, indy, or even dealer who can do the fuel pump calibration for you? Even paying for the privilege it would be cheaper than buying a faultmate.
Post #366182 21st Oct 2014 4:28pm
landy andy

Is it the Faultmate msv or fcr that you have? I've email BBS to ask what unit is required but no response yet. Also asked Pete as he is the distributer, but he is currently away.

I asked on here if anybody could help with programming but no help. I don't mind paying, I understand that these thing cost. The indies either don't understand the Tdci or I have no faith in or, like the dealer refuse to do it as it's got a remap.

Gary at Alive has kindly said he will send me some kit to assist, and Dan at Duckworth's has sent me a new VCV, so hope between them both, and the help on here I can sort the issue.

Now anybody got an idea of where the VCV lives on the engine?
Post #366193 21st Oct 2014 5:03pm
blackwolf

I have a Faultmate MSV, which is old technology now (I've had it a long time) but does the job.

The VCV is on the back of the fuel pump, so it is just under the front of the inlet manifold. Somewhere on the forum is a pic from the WSM showing it (sorry, I am on a mobile device and will only get cross if I try searching for it at the moment)! It is held on with 2 screws and takes about 10 mins to change. Inevitably access isn't great. Keep everything as clean as possible since the VCV is very susceptible to dirt.
Post #366220 21st Oct 2014 6:17pm
landy andy

Cheers Blackwolf. Your help is appreciated. Bow down Bow down

Andy
Post #366235 21st Oct 2014 7:18pm
Theater

Italy 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Galway Green
https://www.defender2.net/gallery/albums/u...VCV%20.pdf Marco

Defender 110 "SW" SE Galway Green MY 2009
Ex Defender 90 "SW" S Santorini Black MY 2010
Post #366243 21st Oct 2014 7:36pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
landy andy

Bow down Bow down Bow down Bow down

Brilliant. Thanks Theater Thumbs Up

Andy
Post #366250 21st Oct 2014 7:46pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>