↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Ifor williams with swing away wheel carrier
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
doublecabjon

United Kingdom 
Ifor williams with swing away wheel carrier
Good evening all,

I have a double cab pick up with a mantec swing away spare wheel carrier with side hinging tailgate mod. The spare wheel is a standard XS style 16" alloy with a 265/75 R16 BFG all terrain tyre

I would like to fit an ifor williams canopy as I need to make the pick up more useable and a dog safe area.

My question to you all is will the rear gate on an ifor williams clear my spare wheel with the lower tailgate open?

Many thanks
Jon
Post #360903 28th Sep 2014 10:33pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I can't answer for the Mantec carrier, but I had to make a minor alteration to my Sonic carrier to solve this issue.

With the carrier in the swung out position, is the inner face of the spare inboard or outboard of the line of the offside body capping? If inboard, you'll probably have issues. Looking at photos of the Mantec carrier online, I think you'll have even bigger problems that I had with the Sonic carrier since your hinge points are closer to the centre line of the vehicle than mine.

Possible solutions are:

- to move space the spare backwards on the carrier, but you will probably find that it has to be a long way back and therefore not really feasible.

- to move the wheel to the n/s on the carrier, so that when open it is further away from the flap (which is what I did). I am not sure if this is an option with the Mantec carrier though.

- to remove the split pin from the IW canopy flap hinge and simply lift the flap off when opening.

- to modify the flap hinge so that the flap can slide about 6" to the n/s as you open it.

- to replace the flap with one from Patriot, which replaces the full-width flap with a tailgate-width centre flap and fixed side panels (not an option for me since I need the full width opening).

- make your own replacement flap with (for example) a top-hinged main flap and a side-hinged small flap on the off-side.

It would be interesting to hear how you get on.
Post #360925 29th Sep 2014 9:06am
doublecabjon

United Kingdom 
Thanks for the reply,

I was thinking and google searching last night and thought the only option would be to adapt a gate. I think I will make something similar to the patriot gate. Maybe doing fixed sides, with a tailgate width mesh centre on gas struts and have the option to swap for a fixed gate with window for longer less draughty journeys.

Will try and work out a quarter turn t handle with lock similar to a truckman top etc.

Keep you posted how I get on. Might be a while as gota save up for new canopy as second hand all seem to be hours and hours away.

Many thanks
Jon
Post #360941 29th Sep 2014 11:10am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
When I decided to fit an IW canopy to my DC I realised that s/h canopies off 90s are dirt cheap and plentiful, and can be cut down quite easily to suit a DC. I bought a very good 90 canopy with meshgate on Ebay from a seller in Lymington for the princely sum of £25 or thereabout (so cheap I felt a little guilty, but the seller seemed happy enough).

However I needed a solid flap not a meshgate, so I nipped over to CJ Cox at Sturminster to order one up, only to find that a solid flap on its own is roughly half the price of a complete new DC canopy with a solid flap! The dealer was also willing to part-ex my new second-hand 90 canopy with its meshgate for a very good deal on a new DC canopy with solid flap, so in the end I ended up with a new canopy exactly as I wanted for about the same price as a flap on its own. That £25 Ebay purchase ended up being worth about ten times that.

If you're thinking of fabricating a flap you may want to consider shortening a 90 canopy (or I suppose a 110 PU canopy) because the difference in price between a decent s/h 90 compared to a DC one is ridiculous.

The swing-away mount with the flap is something of a compromise. Whilst I am happy with mine most of the time, every time I have a trailer on the back I curse it. The wheel has to be low on the carrier to clear the flap, and this means that some trailers won't fit unless the wheel is removed. Even if the trailer can be coupled with the wheel in place, the flap can't then be opened without unhitching since the wheel can be swung fully open. Usually I end up puttung the spare on the roofrack (or in the trailer) if I am towing.
Post #360967 29th Sep 2014 2:28pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1