↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Heavy Duty Steel Wheels (Wolf)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 16 123 ... 141516>
Print this entire topic · 
SS90

United Kingdom 
Heavy Duty Steel Wheels (Wolf)
Anyone know where you can get the genuine Heavy Duty Steel Wheels (Wolf) Land Rover do and how much are they? Had a look on the net but can't seem to find the genuine ones?
Post #360588 27th Sep 2014 8:27pm
big steve

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Montalcino Red
On a xs there now a£300 cost option with wranglers Big Cry 2015 2.2 tdci hardtop xs
3.2 conversion DONE 238bhp and 707nm torque and thats just the start ;-P
hybrid turbo in build -done ready to fit
ashcroft atb in transfer box
6 speed auto in build
Post #360590 27th Sep 2014 8:32pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dorsetsmith

Wolf Wheel

ANR4583PM

Internet Ref :
Price
£45.00 each
(£54.00 Inc 20 % VAT )
QTY in Stock :
NSN

DMC

7XD

List

Oem Part No.

ANR4583PM

Post #360605 27th Sep 2014 9:07pm
SS90

United Kingdom 
Thanks, what's the specific code for the white ones?
Post #360638 27th Sep 2014 10:31pm
dorsetsmith

i will have look at mine to day Thumbs Up

ANR4583

Home > Equipment > Wolf wheels
Wolf wheels
3rd Mar in Equipment by Land Rover Expedition

Wolf wheels
I've just bought myself a Wolf wheel, so called because of their usage on the Army 'Wolf' Land Rovers. They are technically Land Rover's Heavy Duty (XD) OEM steel wheel, fitted to Defender 130's and as an option on other Defenders. I regard them as an important addition to an expedition Land Rover for their strength and durability.

With my grand scheme of getting a full set of Wolf wheels for my expedition Defender approaching �750, this was a steal at �50; brand new from eBay!

The come in two varieties (NB. see below): Tubed (Part no. ANR5593) and Tubeless (Part no. ANR4583) costing around �45-60 each with a dimensions 16x6.5 inches. They are an inch wider than the standard 5.5 inch Land Rover steel wheels, so they can comfortably take a 235/85/R16 tyre, but it may be legally pushing it for 265/75/R16.

A tubeless Michelin XZL on Tubed Wolf wheelThey have a rated strength of 2200Kg, which when worked out as 8800kG for the whole vehicle seems� a little extreme, but from the viewpoint of an expedition vehicle, they can take a fully loaded Defender comfortably on one wheel - a possible situation you may find yourself in on tricky terrain.

Although there are strong alloy wheels on the market, the strongest of these - the Blindo - is only rated to 1550Kg. You may never load or pound your vehicle enough to need the strength of a Wolf wheel but it would be better to overcompensate than under.

At any rate, a steel wheel is also a must for off road expeditions as they can be hammered back into shape it necessary, whereas alloy wheels have a tendency to shatter.

Wolfs or Modulars
A Wolf rim isn't the only "stronger" Land Rover rim on the market. My Defender currently runs with 7x15 Modular wheels. These can take wider tyres such as my 255/75/R15, and are cheaper at about �30 each, but their offset (distance from the hub face to the rim's inner edge) is greater, meaning that the wheels sit wider. This increases stability but reduces turning circle and may leave brake components less protected from debris than designed for.

Modulars can take wider tyresIn my case, the modulars are an inch shorter than the Wolfs wheels with their standard 7.50R16 tyres, which means the speedo is out by about 5% and my top speed and fuel economy are lower. Accelaration is better but I think i'd be better off with a set of standard wheels/tyres.

Tubed or Tubeless
There are two types of Wolf rim. (Well, three but ANR1543PM is superceded). The ANR5593 is meant to be used with tubes whilst the ANR4583 with tubeless tires. Tubeless tyres are considered to have better strength and durability, but tubed tyres are easier to repair. Personally, I would prefer tubeless for their stronger sidewall protection. The one I bought is an ANR5593 Wolf wheel with a tubeless Michelin XZL Mud terrain tyre fitted for military use.

ANR5583 - Tubed Wolf rimSo why did I buy a tubed rim?

The consensus is that you can fit tubeless tyres to tubed rims with tubes, but not tubed tyres to tubeless rims. This is because tubeless rims have an extra ridge that eventually wears on the tubes. Although, it is also said that fitting tubeless tyres to tubed rims are prone to leaking because of the bead not sealing properly, but there are also accounts of this not being an issue. The Wolf wheel you don't want to use with tubeless tyres is ANR1543PM, as this is a Tubed rivetted construction and is not as air-tight as the later welded rims.

- See more at: http://www.landroverexpedition.com/equipme...jZYLh.dpuf

best be servicing mine Thumbs Up
Post #360671 28th Sep 2014 8:23am
SS90

United Kingdom 
Thanks most grateful.
Post #360816 28th Sep 2014 5:54pm
Cuthbert

Dorset Smith - a superbly written and most informative post - thank-you
Post #360858 28th Sep 2014 7:38pm
Interlet

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 110 300 Tdi HT Alpine White
DorsetSmith, I think you will find that pretty much all of the brand new Wolf wheels on eBay will be replicas and copies, where the build quality is far less than genuine LR wheels, and I have seen some of them in which the load rating is less than a genuine Wolf wheel. So whilst all of the information you provide is accurate, I suspect you are mistaken in what you have actually purchased. 1998 110 300Tdi White Hard Top
Post #360864 28th Sep 2014 8:09pm
dorsetsmith

Thank but i can not take the credit Whistle

fond the information looking for Wolf Wheel mine sum time back 2007 Mr. Green

got most jobs sorted on mine three more to do Thumbs Up

Last edited by dorsetsmith on 22nd Oct 2015 6:23pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #360878 28th Sep 2014 9:02pm
Cuthbert

Interlet wrote:
DorsetSmith, I think you will find that pretty much all of the brand new Wolf wheels on eBay will be replicas and copies, where the build quality is far less than genuine LR wheels, and I have seen some of them in which the load rating is less than a genuine Wolf wheel. So whilst all of the information you provide is accurate, I suspect you are mistaken in what you have actually purchased.

Do we know who actually manufactures (not sells) the 'real' Wolf wheels?
Post #361153 29th Sep 2014 11:00pm
Interlet

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 110 300 Tdi HT Alpine White
After a bit of research, it the name Dunlop is mentioned a lot in the manufacture of Wolf wheels, and possibly some other companies.

Here is a quote from one other forum:

Quote:
Other than the makers names by such as Dunlop (O.E.) KH (Kelsey-Hayes) and NAGBOL (GKN) rims for the most part are indistinguishable and there seems to be a bit of badge engineering - possibly they are all made in a JANTSA factory.

So - you can see that if you want a definitive statement as to type of tyre / rim suitability it is not a simple matter of approaching Land Rover or Dunlop - you would have to identify the actual rims for the makers identity.
 1998 110 300Tdi White Hard Top
Post #361188 30th Sep 2014 8:00am
Cuthbert

Having read other forum threads on Wolf wheels, I'm still wondering how many folk have got the real deal and how many others are perhaps unaware they have inferior copies?
Post #361318 30th Sep 2014 9:10pm
SS90

United Kingdom 
I didn't know that if you purchase the genuine HD Wolf wheels from Land Rover, they come primed but still have to be painted!
Post #361976 3rd Oct 2014 6:44pm
dgardel

Italy 
New wolf rims, the blindo

on Wolf

on mine Mr. Green

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #362026 3rd Oct 2014 9:56pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
I so kick myself every time I see Blindos on other peoples Land Rovers, I was offered a set of 5 with some decent tyres on around 5 years ago for £200. I didn't have the money at the time and those deals never come up again Crying or Very sad
Post #362027 3rd Oct 2014 10:10pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 16 123 ... 141516>