↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > Oztent Foxwing - any reviews ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
markespark

2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Indus Silver
Oztent Foxwing - any reviews ?
Looking to buy the Foxwing and an RV5 tag on tent to sleep in (thought of a Rooftent but this gives us shelter and I pee a lot Very Happy
Anyone got the awning ?
Any feed back greatly appreciated

Mark
Post #350352 8th Aug 2014 1:43pm
markespark

Ignore me ...... Just searched on here and quite a few reviews sorry was being lazy Embarassed
Post #350356 8th Aug 2014 2:05pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Ignore you Mark?

Would we dare do that? Razz

If you want more reviews go onto sister (or should it be brother/son/relative) forum Disco3 as there are some reviews there.

If you want to see one in the flesh, we will be displaying them at the Peterborough show in September. Thumbs Up

Brendan
Post #350359 8th Aug 2014 2:27pm
RLD

United Kingdom 
i have 2 this one on my trailer the other on my 130
Click image to enlarge
best bit of kit about from Brendon Sit Spocer RLD fabricator of Hidden Winch Mount for D3/4 roof racks jerry can holders CB aerial mounts and much more and agent for Helsport Tents and gear
Post #350360 8th Aug 2014 2:27pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bear100

Wales 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
One of the chaps on the nene stand at billing told me the fox wings are snapping the pins on the swivel bracket, anybody heard of this? 2016 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 TDV8
2010 110 XS Utility 2.4TDCI
2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 (gone)
2007 Discovery HSE TDV6 (gone)
1993 110 csw 200 tdi (gone)
1994 90 HT 300 tdi (gone)
1994 discovery 300tdi (gone)
90 hybrid 3.5 v8 (gone)
Range rover bobtail 3.5 v8 (gone)
Post #350427 8th Aug 2014 11:09pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
markespark

My mate today bought the new Hannibal spider wing from nene - solid piece of kit ...... Shame you can't buy sides till next year Big Cry
Post #350431 8th Aug 2014 11:17pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
OK I might be biased as we sell Oztent/ rhino Rack equipment

The Foxwing gives you 10 square metres of shade. Put 10 square metres of sail on a small dingy and you are talking about a big sail.

Yes if you are careless/ silly/ unfortunate yes you can turn the Foxwing into a gigantic sail. YES if you are careless/silly/unfortunate you will snap the hinge spar inserts. In that case you will phone me up and yes I have done the same and I will tell you how much it will cost you and how to repair the damage.

IF you guy the Foxwing down correctly it will withstand 55 mph winds. Yes, I have been careless with a Foxwing and broken a couple of hinge inserts, yes I have had a Foxwing out in 55 mph winds.

The Hannibal spider awning is only 2 metres long, does not cover the same area as the Foxwing and yes it costs more then the Foxwing.

The Foxwing is available with a wide range of accessories, different mounting systems, different awning extensions/walls, different compatible tents, floors etc plus spare parts in the UK.

We have seen many different 270 degree awnings in our travels. Even seen one which covered the bonnet area as well as the rear door area of a Defender. We have seen awnings cheaper then the Foxwing and a lot dearer then the Foxwing.

To date we have not seen a 270 degree awning which is the same quality of the Foxwing, has the range of accessories of the Foxwing, the availability of spares of the Foxwing and at the same cost of the Foxwing. The quality and design of some of the awnings we have seen has been 'interesting' to say the least!

Now as a matter of interest did the Nene sales person say exactly what accessories were available for the Hannibal awning, what spare parts were available and what wind speed the Hannibal awning would withstand from personal experience? Now did the Nene person mention the weak points of the Hannibal awning?

Soap box away now Razz

Brendan
Post #350445 9th Aug 2014 12:59am
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Does foxwing come in different sizes?
How much of it needs to be attached to rack?

Thanks
Andy
Post #350446 9th Aug 2014 3:04am
markespark

Agreed Brendan - for me one of the most important issues is the after service ! Thumbs Up
Things break being able to repair easily rather than 'buy another' makes for a good piece of kit
He also said re hannibal one - 'just have to put 25kg on the other side of the truck to counter balance it lol' Smile
Give me a shout if you remember to check stock Thumbs Up
Cheers
Post #350447 9th Aug 2014 5:36am
leeds

United Kingdom 
landy andy wrote:
Does foxwing come in different sizes?
How much of it needs to be attached to rack?

Thanks
Andy

The original foxwing was a collaboration between oztent and rhino-rack and now rhino-rack have brought out a smaller version which is the right size for a 90. I haven't seen one yet but we have been promised some in time for Peterborough so we should have both on display there.
Regards
Barbara
Post #350493 9th Aug 2014 9:57am
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Thanks. Will come and see you at Billing if I've not brought one before. I'm after the bigger version, for a 110, but currently only have a 90 rack on the double cab.

Andy
Post #350563 9th Aug 2014 5:05pm
Tom Mc

United Kingdom 
Talking of reviews, I'm thinking of purchasing a bat wing/fox wing type set up from Tuff-Trek. It's a lot cheaper than its more salubrious rivals (probably a third less), and therefore I wouldn't expect it to be of premier quality, but if it lasted two or three years I'd be happy.

Put it this way ... I've never had a set up like this before, so really don't know if I will like it or It'll even be practical. Better finding out at third of the price of a 'real one' surely?

Question is, has anyone got one of these - Tuff-Trek call it an H1 - and could pass on their thoughts/recommendations/warnings? Ta!
Post #353465 25th Aug 2014 3:24am
mrandmrsh

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
Or, Tom, buy the proper job for a third extra and if you don't like it sell it on. In my experience buying the best means you can sell it on with minimal loss in future.

Just a thought.
C Thumbs Up 2015 110 USW XS in Santorini with premium contrast leather seats in tan/black, black headlining and with Dual Finish alloys (in the garage, now on Wolf rims with Goodyear MT/Rs)

2012 '62' 2.2 X-Tech 110 USW now gone ...
1984 90 soft top with full roll cage, 200 tdi engine etc now sold
2012 USW XS 2.2 "FUU" now gone....
Post #353501 25th Aug 2014 10:39am
Tom Mc

United Kingdom 
Difficult! I see what you're saying and normally I would immediately agree, but as I mentioned I've never had a set-up like this before. In fact I've never had a camper before as it's always been a tent, so am reluctant to shell out £1,500+ for the full monty (sides 'n' all) if they don't suit my requirements.

By buying what I accept is quite probably an inferior product for £500ish, but perfectly serviceable in the short term, I can find out if it's what I need without breaking the bank ... and if it's rubbish or not what i require after a couple of outings, I could sell it on for half price without taking a big hit.

The thing is, I need somebody who actually owns one to say if it's worth going for or not. Between a rock and a hard place at the mo!

One last but important point. Assuming the cheap versions are made in China or similar, this isn’t always a bad thing. I have a friend whose company has all of his products made in China, and they are first class. They have to be as they are lifting straps/shackles used on hoists and suchlike in heavy industry, so must conform will British Safety Standards. The Chinese can of course can produce goods every bit as good as the Europeans – or South Africans, Aussies, etc., so it is down to the importers to ensure the goods they have made there are high quality. You can bet your life that the majority of Australian 4x4 stuff is made in Asia, and we all know they only supply quality gear. Will the ‘cheap’ awning I’m looking at be up to standard or complete tat, that’s exactly what I want to know?!!!
Post #353535 25th Aug 2014 1:13pm
smb

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Tom,

PM Dean Watson. He has a full set up from Tuff Trek and it certainly does not look cheap quality wise. It is made in the UK so spares shouldn't be an issue either. Failing that, go and see all the different makes and then make up your mind.

One thing I have learnt when buying stuff for the Defender, etc is just because it has a 'name' and costs a lot more than the others it does not mean that it is any better or worth the extra you have to pay. In fact Defender owners get a pretty raw deal when it comes to quality and pricing as well as support.
Post #353538 25th Aug 2014 1:43pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>