↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > Oztent Foxwing - any reviews ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Tom Mc

United Kingdom 
Thanks for that, I will contact Dean. Those are my thoughts as well, often you do pay for the name. On the other hand, when buying something like a winch, you know that a product from someone like David Bowyer will be quality, whereas copies with inferior motors/gears can be dubious. It's so difficult to get it right.

I suppose the moral of the story is to take every product at face value, don't listen to the hype (for the big companies can afford the best advertising agencies to work their magic), and ask fellow enthusiasts their take on their purchases.

BTW, thanks for letting me know Tuff-Trek's awnings are made in the UK, I had no idea. A definite plus in my book, bring back the "I'm Backing Britain" campaign! Thumbs Up
Post #353559 25th Aug 2014 3:09pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Went up to nene overland Friday for a look at/buy the hannibal awnings. It's more saggy than a very saggy thing, and I don't understand how it will work in rain. Not sure if I'm missing somthing, but nene could not help with explanation, and mentioned that they doubt that it had enough strength to deal with side panels being fitted.

Andy
Post #353561 25th Aug 2014 3:20pm
Tom Mc

United Kingdom 
Blimey, and that's a Hannibal, which again because of the name you would expect to top drawer. Can't be cheap either?

You see, all these awnings worry me. Wind can be a real killer, so if for instance the legs are not up to the job, then the best heavy duty stitching in the world won't matter a jot if the darn thing collapses. Alternatively, if the fabric or construction is suspect, that can fall apart and you're left with nothing but the frame.

More research needed methinks!
Post #353563 25th Aug 2014 3:30pm
landy andy

I was amazed, went up there to buy rack and awning. Then saw a 90 with awning fitted, it had a large puddle in each fabric section between then arms. Typical hannibal quality metal work, and welding, great ripstop fabric with spot on stitching, but however tight you pulled it, you could not get rid of the puddles. Very very nice hinge section, but no weak link, if a gust of wind does damage, which could then cause major damage. Then was more shocked when informed not strong enough for sides, and that's what I require.

Andy
Post #353565 25th Aug 2014 3:41pm
landy andy

But then look at the sales picture

Shows the problem
Post #353566 25th Aug 2014 3:44pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
There are many reasons why companies have different prices for what may be exactly the same or what appears to be similiar products.

One reason is VAT. If a company is not VAT registered they basically have a 20% advantage straight away

smb wrote:

He has a full set up from Tuff Trek and it certainly does not look cheap quality wise. It is made in the UK so spares shouldn't be an issue either.....

Really?

From Tuff Trek website

Quote:

Our manufacturer makes roof tents for some very well known brands, so if they look familiar - that's why.

I for one would like to know of a UK manufacturer of well know brands of roof tents!

In our travels we have seen many designs of vehicle awnings and of varying quality. Some of them could be best described as superb H2O collection systems, some with bent ribs, some with raw sewn edges, some free standing ones which need a large bracket fixing to the vehicle.

Yes have seen vehicle awnings retail for well over a £1,000 for just the awning.

We have been offered single 270 degree awnings for 90 USD trade or about £55 FOB

To date I have not seen a 270 degree awning of the same quality as the Foxwing, with the same range of accessories, with the same range of fitting kits and the same availability of spare parts.

Will Foxwing withstand winds? Well correctly pitched with some extra guy ropes the Foxwing can withstand 55mph winds. That is not manufacturers figures but fro our experience at a rather windy Manby weekend and wind speeds from a weather station a few miles down the coast.

Brendan
Post #353573 25th Aug 2014 4:09pm
RLD

United Kingdom 
well said Brendan i use mine in all weather yes you have to be careful putting up and down but once up and the right guy rope's out yo cannot go wrong Thumbs Up yes not the cheapest but the best also i am not knocking other out there going on what i have and use all year round RLD fabricator of Hidden Winch Mount for D3/4 roof racks jerry can holders CB aerial mounts and much more and agent for Helsport Tents and gear
Post #353574 25th Aug 2014 4:32pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tom Mc

United Kingdom 
That was something else I was concerned about. Surely erecting a 270° wrap-around awning (regardless of make) can't be done by one person if it's anything like windy? The main reason I need cover is because I can't stand upright in my camper, so a covered area immediately behind the vehicle would become a kitchen once I fit a drop down cooker on the back door. Add to that the requirement of some type of awning along the vehicle's side, a wrap around seems the perfect solution ... but how easy are these units to erect/fold away? Would it require two people to stop it getting mangled during erection/dismantling?

Click image to enlarge
Post #353580 25th Aug 2014 5:20pm
RLD

United Kingdom 
yes you can as long as you uses and do it right RLD fabricator of Hidden Winch Mount for D3/4 roof racks jerry can holders CB aerial mounts and much more and agent for Helsport Tents and gear
Post #353595 25th Aug 2014 6:56pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tom Mc

United Kingdom 
Obviously I have to see all the different options in the flesh before deciding, but the Hannibal doesn't sound promising. We'll see, got to keep an open mind. Thanks for your input.
Post #353599 25th Aug 2014 7:33pm
Sphere

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Keswick Green
Has anyone used the armadillo awning? Saw it recently and looked better quality than most but also with a price tag.

I will be buying a awing soon (at least for next season) and will be buying on service, parts etc. I have narrowed it down to three of differing levels/prices and will be contacting all three and seeing who I want to deal with.

One thing I have have noted is often quality = weight.
Post #353631 25th Aug 2014 9:31pm
Jimb1978

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 Black LE Java Black
Another foxwing user here who has owned one for many years. In my opinion (and I haven't played with or used any of the others so is entirely based on...well...nothing), I cannot imagine them being beaten. It is the best bit of camping equipment I have.

In light winds you can put them up yourself but when it blows you will need two people. Word of warning though. I got a little giddy the first time I pitched it, which incidentally was very windy. I unzipped the case and let the wings flap down, expecting the retaining elastic strap to be strong enough to hold the poles in. It wasn't, and they were whipped out. One bent quite badly. It still pitches without issue, and also zips back into the case easily enough. It still works correctly and in 5 years of use I have not felt the need to replace the bent pole, even though spares are widely available.

I have also never retreated the fabric and it is still as waterproof as the day I bought it. You do need to look after the newer poles though. I believe my foxwing was still made in Australia, but the newer stuff has been outsourced to china. I have recently bought an oztent and feel the poles are not of the same quality as the ones from my foxwing. Again, I have never maintained the poles from the foxwing and have had to replace 1 in all the time I have owned it. The same cannot be said for my more modern oztent poles, of which a few have seized solid, all within 1 season of use, even though I have lubricated them after each trip.

Overall though, I am still extremely happy with the oztent brand, but am just trying to give you an unbiased view of their products. 2002 110 td5
Post #353639 25th Aug 2014 9:53pm
ken

United Kingdom 
[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

Ticks all the boxes I need :thumbsup:

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #353652 25th Aug 2014 10:26pm
Tom Mc

United Kingdom 
Strewth Ken, do campsites charge you for three tents? Shocked
Post #353671 26th Aug 2014 12:29am
RLD

United Kingdom 
ken wrote:
[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

Ticks all the boxes I need Thumbs Up
that was a good one Ken :thumbsup:

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  RLD fabricator of Hidden Winch Mount for D3/4 roof racks jerry can holders CB aerial mounts and much more and agent for Helsport Tents and gear
Post #353687 26th Aug 2014 9:06am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>