↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Incredible good analysis of british and german car industry
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Pam W

England 1998 Defender 90 Td5 SW Auto Oslo Blue
At least we still have a car industry in Britain.

Had an interesting conversation with a group off Aussies a few days ago, whilst spending a very enjoyable evening at Mt Dare Hotel before starting our Simpson Crossing.

Anyway, we'd had to put up with the usual ribbing about Land Rovers being unreliable and all that, but later on the conversation turned to supporting local/national businesses and industries by buying Aussie in their case, British in ours. Seems that issue is pretty much the same - can't compete with foreign (SE Asia) labour costs, etc, even Aussie designs now being made abroad, etc, etc, just like the in the UK.

Can't remember exactly how the conversation went but at one point I pointed out that "at least Britain still has a car manufacturing industry!"

I went on to say how it was regrettable that GM have pulled the plug on Holden manufacturing in Australia, with the loss if hundreds of jobs, but there was hardly a murmur from the group on that one other than one bloke said he'd been 'quite surprised' when he'd read about the UK car industry being on the rise at the moment. However, the complete irony of a bunch of Aussies driving Japanese cars (whilst knocking a Brit driving a Brit car) was totally lost on the Toyota/Nissan brigade (or maybe not, just chose to ignore!!) Rolling Eyes Wink

Also interesting watching what is going on in Australian politics and economics on the brief glimpses we seen on telly in pubs/roadhouses etc. Australia may have ridden out global recession unscathed, but things are starting to look more unstable now. And much of that due to reliance on trade with SE Asia not going so well, problems with affordable housing education, health care.... Etc. Our blog - http://landytravels.com/

Yorkshire Off Road Club - http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net
Post #331935 19th May 2014 4:23am
Kraut

Germany 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Santorini Black
I did not intend to tease you about this desaster. I just wasn't aware of the fact, that it weren't only the unions leading to this decline. Especially I wasn't aware that in the post WWII era Britain had not overcome this two class society that would be more typical for the beginning of an industrialization. And, as it was mentionend by the BBC reporter, that there was still this trust in authority, the arrogance and ignorance by the upper class and the typical behaviour of the management 'caste' in these times. This enslavement usually would have been more typical for Germany, but I suppose we got rid of this with the end of the war and the insight never to follow again any people in blind faith. Probably we had to learn our lesson here in Germany with the result of developing a little more modern society. Don't get me wrong, I really do like Britain, I'm intersted in your history, like the people and very strangely enough I even like your Royals (though I would hate it if we went two steps back from federal republic back to constitutional monarchy in germany)
Just to make sure: neither am I a communist by heart nor do I belong to the left wing politics/parties. I run my own business but hate other companies with this typical yesterday authoritarian approach
End of the sermon! Very Happy
Post #332066 19th May 2014 3:58pm
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
I think we are moving away from a class-based society, but VERY slowly! I can't stand celebrities, but funnily enough, they have helped break down the barriers - as a lot of celebrities come from the working class, who are then elevated into stardom, then mix it with the champagne brigade from private schools. Although I don't like the bloke, Billy Connolly mixed it with royalty. A Scot from a rather poor area of Scotland elbowing with the truly powerful!

Britain will always have problems with class though, to some extent. That's largely to do with having a split schools system. Foolishly, we have moved away from manufacturing into service, and we envy the Germans and their ability to manufacture - and sell! There is a 'quality' attachment to German goods here. That's rather odd, because if you read the car-quality surveys (especially in AutoExpress) German car reliability doesn't appear to be good at all! I've owned two BMWs, but apart from the odd VW, nothing about German cars impresses me at all. I think they are soul-less, efficient, highly-priced machines.

Britain is massively damaged (continuously!) by its politicians. There's lack of long-termism and a truly amazing and absurd rivalry between the political parties. Even if the government of the day has a good idea, the opposing party will vehemently oppose it! The Tories' plans to slash welfare spending were much-needed, and haven't actually gone far enough, but still Labour have opposed everything the Tories have devised - usually on a class-basis. This see-sawing isn't good for the country long-term. And of course, membership of the EU blights our country in many ways (in some ways it's good). Even if you ignore the hype, we still end up £8 billion a year worse off from being a member - that's £22 million pouring out of our country every day. We can't afford to give away £22 million a day, but still we do. Immigration has brought some benefits, but has brought much division - and may someday bite us badly. It's certainly not the country I grew up in.

Our car industry is seeing a rather odd revival. I think we are the only industrialised nation not to have a large manufacturer of cars (though I may be wrong on that). Despite its success, Land Rover still sells roughly 50,000 cars here (which isn't a lot), although that is up this year. There is zero chance of Jaguar Land Rover ever being British again, and the only really British car is Morgan! Great little thing, but I think I sell more products in a year than they do! Now left.
Post #332089 19th May 2014 6:31pm
martinfiattech

England 
So what`s the best way forward for our green and pleasant land ?

Are we better off in or out of the e,u.
Should we rely less on the good old u,s,a ( I know they're broke ) and stand with Europe

Will the euro carry on, should we ever join.

With the country going to the polls tomorrow, is there any real difference between tory and labour.

Is a protest vote for ukip better than a wasted / not voting at all...
I`am not really a worldy wise person so a more informed view would be nice Excuse the spelling I`am better with spanners and wires.
Post #332632 21st May 2014 9:37pm
Lou Sparts

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
It doesn't matter who you vote for, the government always gets in Big Cry 2005 Td5 90 XS

Steve
Post #332635 21st May 2014 9:49pm
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
Martin, I've tried talking to people who are pro-EU, but their arguments are always kind of wooley. It's not as though that say that we should have a EU defence force (Jeez, can you imagine anything more useless than that, remember Bosnia?), or standardised this and that, they just tend to think it's a good thing. My personal feeling is that literally giving away £22 million a day is insane. That £22 million is AFTER we get back our share. It's grotesque. I have voted UKIP in the last two elections based almost solely on their 'Out Of The EU' policy. They won't get in, of course, but I feel that you should go and vote 'as though' the party you want could win. I've always felt that. I've only voted tactically once. More of the same (Lab/Con) won't get us anywhere. We all know their policies by now, and all they've done is bring the country to the state it's in.

If I may answer your questions:
The best way forward for our country is a fairer society, and a redistribution of local power.
We're better off (on balance) out of the EU. There will be many good things to being out, but a few bad as well.
No, we shouldn't rely on the US. We should forge links with India, Brazil, and perhaps instigate a 'Commonwealth Union'.
The Euro will collapse, and we will never join it - despite what the sizzling-mad Heseltine thinks.
Yes, there is a difference between Labour and the Conservatives, but they are both completely mad.
Voting, or even spoiling your paper, is always better than not voting at all. I have just spoiled my (posted) local council voting paper. Now left.
Post #332642 21st May 2014 10:19pm
martinfiattech

England 
Thanks, what puddle

Now I`am even more dismayed than before, It annoys me as I`am from a irish family, (I don`t have a transit) my parents came over in the late 1950`s.
If you want to live in a mad country where abortion is still against the law, it`s the place for you !

My dad always said things were hard for them here, as when they came over it was, no blacks, no jews, no irish. But he was always amazed at the amount of work around and the possibility`s in England.
He never regretted leaving Ireland as he said it had nothing to offer, he never trusted the church, they killed a country and kept it that way was his opion.

We went back their last year for the first time in 20 years, thanks to the euro it boomed and flatlined and still is flat. The people are fantastic, it did stir something in side.
There is little to look forward to over there, they even tax you for having a credit card !!
I always hoped there would be hope in a free country, and that some how in time the common man would be able to afford a nice three bed semi, holiday, good pay for a good days work. Faith in our government to make the right long term decisions for the national good.
This seems to be a pipe dream.

I agree we should form links with developing nations, we have much expertise that can be both a benefit to us and them, radio 4 has just announced that Russia will be supplying gas to china very soon, so where does that leave us.
We need to move this country forward. If Scotland does get the chance of independence where`s our energy coming from.
Fracking won`t be the magic rabbit Cameron hopes for, we have sold everything of any use off.

Yes I remember bosnia I was in my late teen`s then never really understood what it was all about, back then I was on the y,t,s scheme £29.50 per week for 40 hours work I wonder who would do that now ???
Still will look at the ballot paper tomorrow see who`s least lightly to lie thru there teeth... Excuse the spelling I`am better with spanners and wires.
Post #332679 21st May 2014 11:11pm
jimbob7

I've always believed in safety or strength in numbers.As the UK is no longer one of the top economies any trade negotiations are going to be harder for us as a (small) independent country.The UK also relies on the EU for 50% of its exports,although we wouldn't lose all of our exports if we left we would have to re-negotiate with the EU at an obvious dis-advantage.We also buy gas from Russia thru EU pipelines,as we aint that popular with the Russians I can see them nailing our hats on at the next negotiations,lol.And I certainly dont believe for 2 seconds that this countries problems will be solved with uk politicians.

Uk imports, exports, etc.
https://www.uktradeinfo.com/Pages/Home.aspx

Gas from Russia,I find it hard to believe that nobody knows where our gas comes from Confused
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbys...trica.html Pov.spec,ftw. 2006, 110,TD5.
Post #332691 22nd May 2014 12:36am
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
Jim, we must all vote according to our beliefs and what we want for the kids - as change is really that slow. I am voting UKIP for the reason that I want my country back, I'm sick of the whole EU experiment - where left-leaners can gain power without being voted for! http://sluggerotoole.com/2014/05/21/unelec...-brussels/

Everyone should read this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-27284489
And it's from the pro-EU, left-leaning BBC! I certainly don't think trade would be a problem if we came out, as we import from the EU more than we export to them. Powerful companies in Germany would not let the EU harm their exports to the UK. By that I mean that if we were to leave, and the EU started funny business, the UK could slap on higher import taxes on German and French goods (of which we buy a lot!). This would make their goods more expensive here, and harm their trade.

We now export as much to the world as we do to the EU (which is declining!) http://openeuropeblog.blogspot.co.uk/2013/...-with.html

Martin, the whole thing about Russia and China forging new bonds has repercussions for the whole world, but little is being said about it. The US publicly bringing a legal charge against named Chinese computer operators also shows that the US may well become more insular - some say that's not a bad thing. You can see little changes happening here and there which mean change in world trade. Despite that, I don't see a place for the UK in the EU. The EU has a powerful trading hand, but the UK's part within that is just too small. I still say that we should court India and Brazil - two emerging, large nations with a growing affluence for our highly-priced, but well-engineered products, chemicals and services. We sell a lot to Ireland (pop. 2,500,000), but India and Brazil have a combined population of 1,500,000,000! Now left.
Post #332736 22nd May 2014 10:08am
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
There's a lot of good stuff here, most of which sounds pretty intelligent & reasonable.

I think Jimbob has some interesting angles. We do live in a democratic society, and my belief is also that the way we conduct (whether that's in the polling booth or the deeds we do) ourselves, and how we spend the money in our pocket has a strong effect.

The public sector could have a good influence in supporting the local industry, where today I believe this is sorely missed. You don't go to Italy & see Kia's being used as police cars...you see Fiat & Alfa. Almost all counries (except UK) I have visited in the last 10 years use locally produced goods in the public sector. Supporting the industry, which in turn creates wealth so that non-Domestic rates & council tax is paid by their constituants.

Big industry "best shored" lots of jobs over the last 10 years, and effectively put their own customers out of work, which in turn reduced their revenues, by having fewer employed people to buy their wares!

Unions could turn themselves into heroes rather than villians (numpties) by trying to repair some of the madness that goes on. But instead they are stuck in the past, but, fortunately with slightly less teeth than they used to wield.

Sometimes, the UK purchaser/consumer behaves like a turkey voting for Christmas. Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #332742 22nd May 2014 10:35am
martinfiattech

England 
Amen brother,

It would be a really good idea if the unions could get there house in order, try to work with the government rather than trying to topple it.

maybe if more of us thought this way we would be better off.

I went to vote looked at the ballot paper tory, lab, The harmony party ? who are they. a few others.
despite everything I believe in I`am disappointed with myself I voted ukip as a protest vote, better than not doing anything at all.

I asked around at work today how many would vote, the answer shocked me not many did. I wonder how many of us on here voted and for who, protest or spoiled. Excuse the spelling I`am better with spanners and wires.
Post #332891 22nd May 2014 10:21pm
lambert.the.farmer

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Rutland Red
I always vote at every opportunity as I believe that it is important. I also think that compulsory voting should be introduced such as I believe the Australian system is, that would be properly democratic as how can a turn out of say a third be representative. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #332931 23rd May 2014 5:23am
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
My wife was getting the usual silly stuff on her Facebook page yesterday, including a childish poll about living next door to Nigel Farage. She wanted to say something, so I wrote the following for her and she pasted it:

In politics, you will never find a party that completely suits you; that reflects everything you feel about your country and the world. All you can hope for is to vote for the best of a bad bunch. Every political party has its nutters, its racists, and its fraudsters. If you like how this country has been run for decades, for its present state, for its economic stature, for the way the NHS is, then vote for a party that has made it that way – for continuation, because obviously you are happy with Britain - and exactly the way it is (think about that). But if you want change, then vote for it. It doesn’t matter that the political party you vote for has its failings, as it will be – to you – the best of a bad bunch, and in politics that’s the best you can ever hope for. You can keep all your silly polls, your mistaken beliefs, and your sheep-like belief that what newspapers tell you is the truth (although if you do, you probably have the mental age of an eight year old). Are you happy paying for people who choose to be unemployed? Then continue to vote for Labour or Conservative. Are you happy with the fact that every Labour government has left office with an unemployment figure higher than it was when it got into power? Then vote Labour. Are you happy that the Conservatives strive to bring down taxes for the well-off, and do nothing about the financial divisions within our society - the richest 10% of our society own almost half the nation’s wealth? Happy with that? Then vote Conservative. Between them, the unions and poor management have decimated manufacturing in this country. We can no longer make stuff to sell to the world. This sorry state of affairs has been brought to you by guess who? Labour and Conservative. Carry on voting as you have done, and you can continue, through your taxes, to give away £22 million a day to Poland, Greece, Hungary, Spain, Belgium and Portugal - £22 million a day – think about it. Each of you giving £127 a year...giving it away. If you’re happy with that, then continue voting for the two parties that have brought that about; Labour and Conservative. Despite the benefits immigration has brought, we are still, and always will be, a tiny island. Our population grows ever higher, with all the strains on its health service, roads and infrastructure, and has now reached 64 million. Happy with that? Then vote for the two parties that have done nothing at all about immigration. But if you can cut through all the crap that newspapers tell you, if you can actually think for yourself, if you can see through the puerile name-calling and, much more crucially, if you want change - then vote for a different political party, one that comes closest to what you believe – the best of a bad bunch – whichever party that may be.

Found out last night that our WEEKLY payment for just the interest on the national debt will be very shortly £1 billion...per WEEK! Now left.
Post #332947 23rd May 2014 7:42am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12