↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > New gearbox?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Jimb1978

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 Black LE Java Black
New gearbox?
Over recent months my 2002 defender has developed some worrying symptoms. It binds up in reverse to the point it will hold itself on a hill as it tries to roll backwards. I cannot take it out of reverse gear when this occurs and have to drive it backwards and knock it out of gear while it is still moving.

I removed the entire handbrake assembly from the back of the transfer box and tried it again and it was still exactly the same, so the problem does not lie there.

I changed the oil and put in Land Rover mtf, the correct specification for the gearbox. The old stuff that came out resembled gold metallic paint...it was very pretty but full of bronze I guess.

I rely on on this vehicle to take us long distances in the summer so have pretty much made the decision to have a new box fitted. I contacted Ashcroft today and was quoted just over £1500 for a new box with a taller 5th gear, new DMF and new clutch. There was a £360 charge for labour at one of their garages.

Whilst none of their quote seemed excessive, I do have two questions before I make this very expensive decision.

1. Are there any ways off testing my gearbox to confirm my fears?

2. Is a friendly local independent likely to be able to fit the same gearbox from ashcroft at a cheaper rate? I ask this due to a couple of instances where I have found it cheaper to buy parts from suppliers rather than direct from the manufacturers.

I realise the first question might be a little silly but I really would like to justify the imminent death of my gearbox to myself before I commit to such a costly repair.

Thanks in advance

James 2002 110 td5
Post #328838 6th May 2014 10:22pm
Sphere

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Keswick Green
I had a similar problem but not as bad however had a slipping clutch. Took mine off to find a seal gone so like you decided to go for a ashcroft box with the taller 5th and been spending the last few nights fitting it. I would say it sounds a good price knowing the work involved.
Post #328842 6th May 2014 10:28pm
Jimb1978

Thanks for the reply. Reading it back I probably should have said "overall price" rather than "rate" in my second question. I have done a couple of gearboxes myself, but always in older defenders, where I have opted to take them out through the cab. I decided this wasn't really as easy in my current td5 due to electrics and comparative comfort 'things' to remove, like carpets.

I don't really have the equipment to take it out from underneath...which undoubtably will be a lot easier but, like you, think the labour charge is reasonable. 2002 110 td5
Post #328846 6th May 2014 10:39pm
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
Have you tried jacking each axle up and turning the wheels backwards to try and see where the problem is, does it do it in gear or out of gear or both, is the diff lock on the transfer box working ok, does it do it high and low range, does it do it with 1 or the other prop shaft removed? DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #328881 7th May 2014 6:22am
Jimb1978

It does it in both high and low...worse in low. I have also removed each prop in turn and it still does it.

It is strange as when driving forwards it is not too bad, although there is an increasing amount of slop in the transmission when I back off the throttle.

It only does it when in reverse gear. In neutral I can quite easily push the car backwards. As soon as I drop it into reverse gear it locks up and needs to be driven backwards to release it. Even with the clutch pressed and the car rolling backwards it binds. As it is rolling backwards, if I am lucky enough to be able to knock it out of gear, the binding stops. 2002 110 td5
Post #328883 7th May 2014 6:38am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1