↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > cheeky bl##ders
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
We have a solution to mice in the shed and greenhouse.

2 lovely kitten cats, they love the work out and even drop the dead ones in a box for disposal. Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #306175 8th Feb 2014 2:29pm
RockJaw

United States 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Santorini Black
Laurie wrote:
We're 4 miles from anywhere.
We only use the poison inside the house and inside the caravan so the risk to other wildlife is minimal.

I wasn't taking a swing at you mate, I would be too ashamed to presume to lecture you on how you manage your life mate.

Sorry if it sounded like I was having a go at you. ****CENSORED****
Post #306178 8th Feb 2014 2:41pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Spookytooth wrote:
Hi, moving even further off topic, any one recommend a good mole trap, I have only caught 1 in 4 weeks of trying. The moles seem to set them off and move on! (Using 1/2 tunnel traps at the moment)

There's only one way to get rid of a mole - blow its' bloody 'ead orf!

Laughing Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #306240 8th Feb 2014 6:41pm
Laurie

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
Surely it's head is only bloody after you've blown it off.....? Whistle 
Post #306244 8th Feb 2014 6:46pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
custom90

United Kingdom 
RockJaw wrote:
Trouble with poison is that I always worry some of the more desirable wildlife could end up eating one of the dead rodents.

Likewise, thing is though sometimes if it's really bad there is no choice but that's rare anyway.
Sometimes outdoors you can just live with it to a degree.
Just know they are around don't store anything they can have etc and all will be well.
Unless they are actually causing a problem I'm inclined to leave them alone.
Where poultry are then it's pretty much certain they will turn up but you'll never stop them IMO.
I find the chicken feed holder is best protected by being connected to the electric fence to keep the fox out as well.
They don't go back there again! Rolling with laughter Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #306246 8th Feb 2014 6:49pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Laurie. Where can u buy the poison u suggest?

For the time being got some more traps ( mouse traps and rat cage) and a load more poison.
Y
If I do catch a rat not sure what I'll do with it......(not very good with that sort of thing)
Post #306339 8th Feb 2014 9:36pm
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
Have a look here Caterham http://www.countrywidefarmers.co.uk/pws/Pr...estControl

There's stores at Bromsgrove, Bearley(south of Henley-inArden on the way to Stratford), Stockton near Southam, Nuneaton all over the place. When purchasing poisons there are criteria you have to meet, a need for the product in the first place and the type of property that warrants the use of such a product. You will have to sign an entry into a poisons register so if you kill someone with the stuff then the police can trace the cause back to you! It's worth popping into a store or phoning one up to find out the procedure of obtaining the poison in the first place.
Post #306359 8th Feb 2014 10:10pm
redhandluke

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 SW Fuji White
Just a word of caution all. Coming from the pest control industry there are a number of factors that should determine what you use, where you use it and for what purpose its being used. Poisons such as those already mentioned here are extremly toxic not only to your intended target but also to any other animal-or human that comes in contact with the product or the poisoned carcase. You shouldn't use any poison within 5metres of a watercourse, it should be in a suitable locked or secure recepticle etc.
Personally and professionally, I prefer to trap and dispose of the rodent as I then know where it is, not dying below floors etc. The smell of dead rodents can be worse that having live ones Razz
Also please don't forget the risk of Weils Disease, this is transmitted via rats urine and in the current wet conditions its not just the drains where you can catch it.
For more info check out CRRU, campaign for responsible rodenticide use.
Good luck Thumbs Up
Post #306367 8th Feb 2014 10:27pm
Laurie

Caterham wrote:
Laurie. Where can u buy the poison u suggest?

I get it from a local agricultural supplier or it's at Amazon....
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_sabc?u...exa%20gold 
Post #306369 8th Feb 2014 10:31pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Laurie

Hi redhandluke I appreciate everything you say, I assume you don't live in a rural situation and bet you've never had a house full of mice. We don't like killing anything but there comes a time usually 2 or 3 times a year when needs must.

PS We live on a busy main road. Cats last about 3 months before becoming 2 dimensional. 
Post #306371 8th Feb 2014 10:36pm
redhandluke

Hi Laurie,
Farm based right out in the sticks, have unfortunately had all of the possibles in house and through the farm buildings with stock you can't avoid it. I'm not having a downer on poisons, I use them every day when I have to, just pointing out that there are risks associated with all poisons and the areas you use them. Used properly they are very effective-just some users domestic and professional use too much without thinking of the consequences.
To keep yourself right use lockable tunnel bait boxes and anchor them down, also suggest you fix traps to stop them disappearing with a stunned rat or mouse still attached Laughing
Post #306373 8th Feb 2014 10:54pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I have a question... Do the Irish rats and mice sound different?

(No offence intended)

Rolling with laughter

Our main problem is with rests outside intermingling with poultry and damaging sheds and structures. Evil or Very Mad Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #306376 8th Feb 2014 10:59pm
Laurie

Thanks for that redhandluke. We have no pets or children and only use poison indoors.
We also love our garden wildlife. We'd never use anything in a way we thought might get into the food chain, though there is always a slim chance.
We use Neosorexa as the only really effective substance. We've bought stuff in the past that had the unwanted residents virtually asking for more! 
Post #306380 8th Feb 2014 11:05pm
redhandluke

All sound like elephants in the attic at 3 in the morning Rolling with laughter And they grow to the size of cats-at least according to my customers Whistle
Try and find the rat runs, they will leave a distinctive track where they move around and tap/bait the run and at the entrances of the buildings that they're using. Give it time because rats are neophobic ie they don't like anything changing in their "near" environment so it can take a couple of days before they take.
Once you start catching keep at it until you get ten clear days and then start looking at sealing up the building.
Post #306385 8th Feb 2014 11:11pm
redhandluke

Hi Laurie. Neosorexa is good, it uses difenacoum, try it as a pasta bait indoors for mice. You can also get brodifacoum based baits for use indoors only. Also worth trying millet seed based baits for mice as they take it quicker than whole grain or blocks.
Keep at it Thumbs Up
Post #306387 8th Feb 2014 11:17pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>