↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Replacement for defender - a little bit more news
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 8 <12345678>
Print this entire topic · 
steve E

Wales 
I would keep my Defenders as well.
Thumbs Up
Post #315927 14th Mar 2014 2:53pm
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
I agree, if there was a '110' version and the pricing was right, I may replace mine. (Very) happy for now though, time will tell. Cheers, David
Land Rovers of all shapes S3 onwards… Daily is a 110 V8.
Post #315930 14th Mar 2014 3:23pm
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
Blackwolf, no, because my 1998 has charm, soul, and a V8, and I love it.

Steve E, my wife buys her own car Whistle Now left.
Post #315931 14th Mar 2014 3:26pm
Setok

Finland 
What puddle? wrote:
Setok, I'm saying that the new Defender will HAVE to be less utilitarian to appeal...and sell. It will HAVE to be more 'cartoonish'. It's inevitable. The new Defender simply won't have the charm and the soul of the current one though. How can it? We've watched the Defender evolve slightly into something clever and tough with bags of soul. But let's be honest, that's all it has. It isn't comfortable, it isn't reliable, it isn't built too well, it isn't even leak-proof! The new one will have plastic where once was metal. It will have air bags and a crumble zone. But it won't have soul. On another forum a while back I said about cars with soul: Minor, Mini, Beetle, VW Camper, MGB, Mustang, a few old Alfa Romeos, and of course, the Defender. I had a brand new Freelander as a hire car a few months back. It was totally insipid to drive, absolutely functional and nice, but no soul at all. If I had one I wouldn't care if someone bashed into it.

So would you say that the following vehicles are cartoonish: Ford Ranger, Nissan Patrol, Toyota Hilux, Jeep Wrangler, MB G Wagon...? I guess it depends on your definition, but I certainly wouldn't, yet they are important vehicles for all of those companies, in their respective segments. Nobody is denying a Defender shouldn't be more comfortable and built better, but that doesn't equate to it becoming a Beckham-mobile.

Update the vehicle, but allow me to change a simple bloody light bulb in a couple of minutes (not to mention something a bit more complex). Ie. rough and tough and 'created for doing work', and not a fashion item. Make it the best 4x4xFar, instead of an unrecognisable generic 'premium' car with gimmicky gadgets that break. A vehicle used for rescuing elephants out of disaster areas, and to explore new frontiers, instead of something with which to whisk brats to a soccer game. Solid engineering.

The greatest irony is that if you do that, buyers will be happy to buy into it, and Land Rover could actually look at regaining some of the foothold it has lost. It will be end up a cornerstone product in Land Rover's portfolio, lending credibility to everything else they do.
Post #316081 14th Mar 2014 11:28pm
Swedishbloke

Sweden 
I've been lurking about on this forum for a couple of years now just to read what is posted in the subforum about the Defender replacement. I decided to register to contribute with some thoughts of my own.

Why would Land Rover bother to make another soccer mum/life style SUVs when they already have several models that fits that criteria? To me that does not make any sense logically or financially.

I would like to see a solution similar to what Mercedes did with the G-klass. They got the standard G-klass that just look ridiculous (except the 6x6 AMG version) but they also have a simpler more utilitarian version, the G 280 CDI. The latter is what I will get if Land Rover replaces the current Defender with another “girly” SUV.

Post #316087 14th Mar 2014 11:43pm
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
No Setok, I'm not suggesting those vehicles are cartoonish (by the way, it wasn't me who actually first used that word here), I'm saying that LR's replacement Defender may well be leaning toward it. But again, I only used the word because someone else already had. Let us rather say that LR's will be 'Evoqueish'. I've no problem with that. I think others here have. Each to their own.

Welcome, Swedishbloke. Looks like you'll be buying a Mercedes then. Now left.
Post #316127 15th Mar 2014 8:39am
deplec

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 X-Tech LE Zambezi Silver
For me it is simple - I like the Defender and Series, they captured my imagination as a kid and when I could afford it I got one.

If I wanted an e-Type Jag from the 60's I would not be able to scratch that itch with an f-Type Jag Coupe on sale today.

I hope the replacement is awesome and meets a functional brief, but I think the modern vehicle definition of 'utility' has changed.

Now they have the Evoque for mass market brand appeal I am not really sure why they don't simply do a working version of the Disco for the Towers/Farmers/HardTopNeeders out there. I imagine it would still be expensive compared to the competition.
Post #316150 15th Mar 2014 10:56am
Cakey

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
I do agree with swedish bloke , if they make a girly SUV , its a g for me .
Ordered a last build 110 , I am told number 46 of the last 100 ( that could be b$$$$$$ks though )
Post #316153 15th Mar 2014 11:14am
lrmaniac

Portugal 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Keswick Green
Setok wrote:
.... instead of an unrecognisable generic 'premium' car with gimmicky gadgets that break (...) instead of something with which to whisk brats to a soccer game.

Doesn't Land Rover has two models for that already? That's what I don't understand! If the Defender is going to be something like that DC c**p it will be just one more in the crowd! No soul, no character....no nothing! Sad Regards
Joao

'10 Land Rover Defender 110 CC
'08 BMW F800GS
'64 SIIA Forward Control
'69 SIIA 109 ZA CKD
Post #316307 15th Mar 2014 11:50pm
T1G UP

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
the defenders dead....we all know it really. the chassis doesn't have crumple zones, the bodys soft at best etc.

so we keep our "classic defenders" and have to buy a baby disco, FL3, xl evoke whatever they call it for the daily grind.

Hybrids is the future, fossil fuel cars will become a thing of the past, there will be legislation regarding "old" cars that puts them under some special licence for occasional use.

so im happy to roll in what ever and keep my toys for best.
Post #316371 16th Mar 2014 12:30pm
BigWheels

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
There were Disco 3 commercials, with lower VED as they are LGVs.

But LR did not continue making commercials with the Disco 4 AFAIK.

AFA legislation, I imagine the next step will be to ban or fine more vehicles from LEZs, increasing the toll-free limit to Euro 6 etc. Land Rover Defenders. 67 years heritage, minimal appearance changes, still going strong all over the world. Not a fashion vehicle, but fashionable to own. Made for the needy, not the greedy. Ta ta Defender
Post #316406 16th Mar 2014 2:42pm
Brucemknx

Australia 1996 Defender 110 300 Tdi SW Caledonian Blue
Too bad Holden in Australia didn't ditch the Commode years ago and switch to building 4wd/Awd vehicles. As LR go upmarket, Holden could have produced a real Defender replacement. Then you would have had Jeep for play, LR for Toorak/Vaucluse/Knightsbridge etc... and Holden for hauling stuff across the outback. Really the only competition left is the Toyota Troopy which is way overpriced. Coulda saved the Australian auto industry. Let's face it - the worldwide image of "the outback" would have sold it globally - with Holden dealerships all over Oz and GM dealerships all over the rest of the world!
Post #316420 16th Mar 2014 4:25pm
RobKeay

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
You can get a disco 4 commercial. I thought about buying one but you only get two seats. So the 110 wins because it has five or seven.

The disco 4 commercial has great spec but is a lot for a two seater and the over six month waiting list.
Post #316446 16th Mar 2014 6:43pm
BigWheels

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Never seen a Disco 4 commercial on the road or even advertised.

I guess in the UK, Shoguns will be the only viable SWB 4x4 replacement for Defenders, as they come in many versions & with several motors. Land Rover Defenders. 67 years heritage, minimal appearance changes, still going strong all over the world. Not a fashion vehicle, but fashionable to own. Made for the needy, not the greedy. Ta ta Defender
Post #316475 16th Mar 2014 8:11pm
RobKeay

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Post #316485 16th Mar 2014 8:38pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 8 <12345678>