↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Where to go...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
coppergrease

United Kingdom 
Where to go...
I'm a SIII owner, with an old Disco 300Tdi. I'm a third generation landrover nut, and I have finally come to the realisation that the new Defender is not going to be anything I would recognise as a Defender. You only need to look at the quotes from Gerry online to see his plans are for something "sportier". I regularly ponder what would I replace my Disco with? In my world it would be the new Defender that did 45-50mpg, was a wee bit wider in the cab and did all the things the old one did including the mop out with a bucket factor!

However, it ain't gonna happen. So, lets consider the unthinkable. What would you replace yours with in the current market? After long consideration the Ford Ranger was an honourable second, since it seems to have a dubious durability reputation, but some fanatical believers who debate this... (sounds familiar) The VW Amarok seems to be my winner, although I would have preferred something a bit shorter in the body, more 110 than 130.

It really needs to be under £25k base price, to a similar spec to the current 90/ or the 300Tdi Discoveries. A working vehicle, one you can chuck filthy dogs into and not cry. Dent and not be in hock to the bank for repairs.

Suggestions? I'm shocked to find myself thinking Jeep may be serious contenders... Big Cry
Post #304770 3rd Feb 2014 7:23pm
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
I think it is still possible that LR may bring out at least two Defenders, a spit & fagash one, and a 'lifestyle' one. The DC100 could be the latter. Now left.
Post #304781 3rd Feb 2014 7:38pm
coppergrease

United Kingdom 
Hi, I'm not convinced any more... Gerry has had plenty of chance to come back and show some sign of contrition following the whole DC100 nonsense. He hasn't, in fact What Car reported him indicating the pickup won't come out initially it'll be a year or so after the initial release and will be aimed more upmarket. This doesn't bode well...

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/12/05/land-ro...ming-2017/

I have to feel that after the initial mauling the DC100 received from the utility users, LR could have come out 6 months later and publically demonstrated their understanding of the utility market. They could even have done a limited edition of the RangeRover, stripped down with decent clearance and rubberised panels or something daft. This would have offered some solace to the traditionalists that they hadn't forgotten how to make a working car. What did we get, RR Sport, RR Mini, Victoria Beckham RR, etc, etc.

Do you really think they will present a sub 25k Defender replacement, instead of a Defender "successor" at 40k ? The dealers are charging ~£100 /hr labour now and the new Disco has to have the body removed to change the timing belt! It doesn't look good mate for a field serviceable utility vehicle...
Post #304784 3rd Feb 2014 7:48pm
tookaphotoof

Netherlands 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
Replacing my 130 in the current market? It's still for sale at the moment, so that would make it a no brainer. Wink
Anyways, next on my list would be the Land Cruiser, although that one probably is on its way out, too?

Click image to enlarge

Not a big fan of the designs and comfort of modern cars but I'm not planning on getting a new car unless mine is really falling apart. So not to worried what they will come up with.
Post #304837 3rd Feb 2014 9:34pm
coppergrease

United Kingdom 
The landcruiser was one of my list too, but I've heard some pretty horrific things over the past 5 years about reliability, the rumour is the old days of it being 100% bullet proof and mine resistant are long gone... The change to the modern engines is reputed to have caused some issues, don't know much about it myself, but my mates in Africa and Auz have been muttering.
Post #304857 3rd Feb 2014 10:30pm
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
Mercedes, VW, Skoda, Audi, and obviously others are all going to be selling 'baby SUVs' very soon. Jeep's 'Jeepster' is just weeks away. This booming sector of the market is set to DOUBLE in just three years. LR, as usual, are late to the party. It will be no good LR marketing a £40k car when all the others are expected to be sub £25k! So a stripped down version of a DC100 must surely be even less than £25k. It is for this reason that it may well be made in India. I don't think LR would be stupid enough to price themselves out of what will be a highly profitable part of the car market in three year's time. Admittedly the signs don't look good, but VW's little Taigun is going to sell like hot cakes - Skoda's version too. Will LR not compete, and instead go for some expensive baby SUV designed by Mrs Beckham? God, I hope not. Now left.
Post #304862 3rd Feb 2014 10:51pm
coppergrease

United Kingdom 
This is an off-topic diversion, but the point is a baby SUV is not the same as a utility vehicle. The Defender is not a baby SUV, it's the original workhorse UV. If I wanted a sporty number I would not own a Defender, I would have own a Shogun or something more flash. I wanted a workhorse...
Post #304879 3rd Feb 2014 11:24pm
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
Ah, but my point is that the next Defender could well be a stripped down version of a baby SUV. And if that SUV is sub £25k then so will the 'Defender' be. Of course, they could be two different cars, but then that doesn't make economic sense. LR could use the same platform. Now left.
Post #304882 3rd Feb 2014 11:33pm
andy-c

Scotland 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Zermatt Silver
I do a bit of towing and the problem we have at work is how to put a heavy trailer into a tight space on a hill. We have tried navaras, rangers, l200s but the problem is that none have a open centre diff in low range. With the defender just select low and lift your foot off the clutch. Job done no fuss. And no broken transfer box. Dose anyone know of any other pickup or 4x4 that can do this?
Post #304914 4th Feb 2014 1:28am
andy-c

Scotland 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Zermatt Silver
I do a bit of towing and the problem we have at work is how to put a heavy trailer into a tight space on a hill. We have tried navaras, rangers, l200s but the problem is that none have a open centre diff in low range. With the defender just select low and lift your foot off the clutch. Job done no fuss. And no broken transfer box. Dose anyone know of any other pickup or 4x4 that can do this?
Post #304915 4th Feb 2014 1:29am
Higgers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
New isuzu looks pretty good. Either that or a hilux. Embarassed
Post #305006 4th Feb 2014 1:12pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
Yep, Isuzu from just £17,500 on-the-road to a max of £26,000. Now left.
Post #305012 4th Feb 2014 1:34pm
tookaphotoof

Netherlands 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
coppergrease wrote:
The landcruiser was one of my list too, but I've heard some pretty horrific things over the past 5 years about reliability, the rumour is the old days of it being 100% bullet proof and mine resistant are long gone... The change to the modern engines is reputed to have caused some issues, don't know much about it myself, but my mates in Africa and Auz have been muttering.

If I may believe some on this forum the Defender I have is a pile of Sh!t, only suitable for highway soccer moms. I'm happy with it myself. Where I work / live a breakdown won't put me in the risk of being killed, so horror stories won't put me off to quickly. And I must admit, that V8 in the Landcruiser does sound very nice! Mr. Green
Post #305013 4th Feb 2014 1:34pm
SailingTom

United Kingdom 
If I had to replace it with something in the current market dont know what id do really!
Suppose it would have to be A modern (ish) Range Rover or an amorak (That hurt to say!) Dont think i could bring myself to to be honest, so would be a range or as I have access to a vehicle I could use for work just give up all together and go down another route of a morgan Laughing
I reckon they'll always be a nice supply of Defenders though and although what they do bring out might be different to what where used to it might still turn out ok. So im not dismissing the new thing before its out! Defender puma dormobile camper
Post #305041 4th Feb 2014 3:23pm
Romadog

Quote:

I had the same thought with a Ranger on the flat. I had my new work truck ( a Ranger) finally delivered today, I'll be testing it out with a trailer soon. Trouble is my bosses think a Defender isn't as fuel efficient, even though it has the same size engine, better suspension and transmission. But as my previous company vehicle for past 5+ years has been an astra estate I can't complain !!?!
Post #305108 4th Feb 2014 7:36pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>