↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Where to go...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
i wonder if Mercedes-Benz (the worlds biggest commercial vehicle manufacturer) will produce a more basic spec version of a G Wagen, or even some kind of "baby" Unimog. I 100% feel they will step in to sweep up the market that Landrover are clearly abandoning. I honestly feel we will not see a proper commercial Landrover after 2015. If anything they will just be van versions of the Discovery. I had hopes a few years ago that Landrover might produce a vehicle to challenge the 'Mog, but i can't see that happening now. I do wonder though just what they will make when the fadistas move on from 4x4s to something else, as always happens. This year an Evoque, next year a Bentley and so on... 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1972 Series III 1-Ton Cherrypicker
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #305116 4th Feb 2014 7:20pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
Well, it's possible. At the moment though they are focusing on the baby SUVs http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/mercedes/8547...v-pipeline

A modern G Wagon might frighten LR into a new Defender, but by then of course it would be too late. Now left.
Post #305128 4th Feb 2014 8:30pm
22900013A

I would be amazed if MB don't do anything. They are currently revamping their truck range since they launched a new Actros a couple of years ago. The recent ones have been all wheel drive construction type machines. A commercial version on the G wagon platform would seem like a sensible move.
I think the difference is in the scale of the companies though, MB can afford to have several branches producing everything from vans to supercars, which seems marketable and mutually-supporting. Landrover seem to lack the ability to have a commercial range and only want to make 4x4 cars. 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #305251 5th Feb 2014 8:22am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
Agreed. At risk of repeating myself, LR should be making all kinds of tough stuff, from mountain bikes to earth movers - taking full advantage of the 'tough' brand. Now left.
Post #305286 5th Feb 2014 12:58pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
22900013A wrote:
Landrover seem to lack the ability to have a commercial range.

Why would they want to? they also don't make aeroplanes, ships or wedding cakes. Is this a down fall of there business strategy? As said before every vehicle that leaves their factory is an ordered vehicle. Clearly a very strong position to be in these days.
Post #305301 5th Feb 2014 3:09pm
22900013A

Because that is where they started out, what they are known for. The "traditional" Land Rover was predominantly a commercial vehicle, not a luxurious four wheel drive limousine. What is going on makes as much sense as JCB saying they are going to stop manufacturing earth moving equipment, or Apple ceasing to make computers and electronic equipment. 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #305343 5th Feb 2014 5:42pm
lrmaniac

Portugal 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Keswick Green
http://www.lro.com/news-reviews/2014/2/lan...er-debate/

Rolling Eyes

"The current Defender has never sold on its design and has changed very little over the years".... I believe you're wrong Mr. .... Regards
Joao

'10 Land Rover Defender 110 CC
'08 BMW F800GS
'64 SIIA Forward Control
'69 SIIA 109 ZA CKD
Post #305352 5th Feb 2014 6:02pm
nidge n

McGovern doesn’t think design has anything to do with why people buy Defenders: ‘The current Defender has never sold on its design and has changed very little over the years. What we are working on is something that will be more desirable to look at – the traditionalists might not like it but they'll have to live with it. It will still be as capable as before and there will be references to the old model – it might even have a spare wheel on the back.

Well Gerry, I don't have to live with anything. We are currently looking for two new cars, one for our household, the other for our business. I am really loyal to LR, but the glitz of the new range rover portfolio doesn't interest me one bit. It just leaves me to believe that the company is moving away from its loyal traditional following. It doesn't look like the defender will follow that tradition. If the disco doesn't , what's left? And don't get me started on the arrogance of his language.

I really wanted the new defender to be a cornerstone LR product, something that builds on the history. I suspect that won't happen.
Post #305359 5th Feb 2014 6:22pm
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
I have owned an original 'classic' RR and three Defenders, but wife and I can no longer afford to buy LR. We looked at the Evoque, but once some accessories were added on it was out of our reach. The new Freelander is going to be a smaller version of the Discovery according to LR so we can rule that out too. We're looking instead at the Yeti, the VW Taigun and similar. Shame. Would have liked to have bought LR yet again, but they just keep going upmarket. LR are doing very well, just wish we could be a part of it! We both liked the DC100 and hope that it will be made in some form as a sub £25k car. Now left.
Post #305374 5th Feb 2014 7:06pm
RobKeay

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
@puddle I really think they will do a cheaper LR. It makes sense and be £22k to £30k they would 2 hundred thousand a year. There's a lot of stuff going to come out of JLR over the next few years. It will all be great, just hope they keep production in Britain. JLR are creating so much wealth for the british economy.

I would buy a cheaper small land rover for my wife. She just doesn't want a massive car so a smaller cheaper LR would be her street. LR would get all the mini clubman, yeti and any other small 4x4.

Least they haven't made the defender as expensive the g wagon.
Post #305380 5th Feb 2014 7:27pm
g-mack

United Kingdom 
once they pull the backbone out (defender/commercial vehicles) they wont be able to stand long!!!
unfortunately the market they are targeting are highly influenced by trend!!! if they go off trend, then it will be to late for them as all the LOYAL customers will have looked else where!
this of course is only my opinion! My 109 thread

my youtube channel
Post #305383 5th Feb 2014 7:36pm
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
Rob, I agree, and hope so too. It's not just my wife, I too need a smaller, yet 4x4 type car. As our parents get older we are making almost monthly trips to the Royal Berks Hospital here in Reading. The car park is a well known joke, and a smallish car is called for. My Defender won't get under the height barrier, and her Shogun Pinin is too small to get older people in. Last week we ended up getting a taxi for the first time, but at £15 per journey it ain't cheap. I don't know how long we can wait for any new baby LR. I thought the DC100 was it, but apparently not. Yeti looks tempting. Now left.
Post #305411 5th Feb 2014 8:41pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
Whilst JLR will obviously be "listening" to the traditionalists to some extent, they are not going to be overly swayed by a group accounting for only 16000 units P.A....they will do what they think will SELL, and the Defender as we know it, is not "selling", so it's definitely going to be very different,...it has to be, or it ain't gonna sell,..it's going to face a lot more competition than when it was introduced in 1948.
In Australia, once a very major market for Landrover, a new "Defender", if it is a utalitarian type vehicle, will face an even more up hill battle, particularly more so than in the UK where you guys still have a Defender "base", a great Dealer network, with LR dealers everywhere....those days are long gone in Aus, being replaced by Kia, Hyundai, Subaru, Nissan, Toyota (Hi Lux is the most popular "car" (vehicle sold) in some months,Mitsubishi etc etc, and now we've got "Great Wall" & more, coming from China!
I have no idea where any "New" Defender will fit into the market.
Cheers, Pickles.
Post #305426 5th Feb 2014 9:07pm
RobKeay

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
We had a disco 3 before which I loved but the wife hated it. It was as big as the moon. She got fed up with me being in a constant bad mood because someone had bashed my door.

I recommended my aunty buy the yeti 4x4. It seems to be the best 4x4 for someone that lives in Switzerland.
Post #305428 5th Feb 2014 9:15pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
22900013A wrote:
or even some kind of "baby" Unimog.

That would make me very happy.

I can't help feeling MB haven't tapped this idea as much as other manufacturers...
Post #305475 5th Feb 2014 10:45pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>