↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Shocking customer care from accessories dealer
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
keith

Scotland 
To put it into context ,,, on my Td5 4 yrs ago my £1700 super winch and Mantec HD bumper went rusty , even though polished , oiled and loved daily . The company were 1st class and changed the whole lot for brand new bumper and parts . NO PROBLEMS .
Post #305318 5th Feb 2014 5:19pm
Cuthbert

As Keith has now updated us further - I'll just avoid having any business with Rebel 4X4.

Where I live, today is the 5th February 2014.

Today's headline on the Rebel 4X4 website "About Us" is quote "We will be closed for the week commencing 5th August 2013 for our annual shutdown and will reopen on 12 August". Real focus on customer service?

http://www.rebel4x4.co.uk/about.htm

Maybe these guys are real rebels - rebelling against the Gregorian calendar, the Julian calendar and living in their own timezone?

Then at the foot of their webpage they claim and I quote "ALL OF OUR NEW PRODUCTS ARE PATENTED". I also note the website doesn't offer any Patent Numbers or other evidence to substantiate those claims.

Several references to quality on the website and they are a manufacturer - don't see any references to ISO standards.
Post #305363 5th Feb 2014 7:34pm
munch90

England 
there is only one way to do it good is to blast prime paint .. there used to be a company behind us that blast prime paint kids playground equipment for the council and they had to give 10yr life on there work , they used to do few bits for us alloy wheels , boat trailer etc ,, they work was perfect ,,, gutted when they packed up and left
Post #305397 5th Feb 2014 9:16pm
Cuthbert

SGH wrote:
I was informed by my local blasting and powder coating company that the reason a lot of accessories like these mentioned rust prematurely is that they are not grit blasted before coating to save on costs.

I personally prefer to buy parts uncoated and get grit blasted, hot zinc sprayed then coated myself locally for peace of mind.

Simon

If you fabricate accessories in mild steel straight from the stockholder's premises - the surface has to be thoroughly treated before being painted, plated or coated - or the fancy top finish will simply flake off, peel off, corrode away or look shoddy.

Even with hot dip galvanising, the pre-preparation has to be thorough or the end result will be a disappointment. I'm very aware that there is a great deal of ignorance amongst folk talking about 'blasting' metal. The material often referred to as shotblast really does remove rust and scale (so does steel shot and various sands and grits) - but it can also remove the base material you have fabricated to fine tolerances. Other materials such as glass or plastic beads and indeed walnut shells and corn cobs can be used to polish surfaces - a far more gentle process.

Having seen quite a number of plastic dip coated, powder coated and painted accessories for Land Rover's go rusty very quickly - I'll suggest the common factor is the manufacturer taking short cuts and not bothering with the thorough surface preparation of components before applying whatever surface coating they choose. They may then hope to pocket their increased profit and hope you don't notice/complain before any warranty period expires.

As Simon says if you can see the bare product before coating you know you exactly what you are buying. It would be so nice if you could just buy a quality finished product in the first place.
Post #305491 6th Feb 2014 12:16am
NoDo$h

England 
A fine example is Land Rover branded dog guards. Bloody things start flaking powdercoat within minutes of the warranty expiring. 

54 Freelander modded for mud
2008 D3 SE
2010 90 XS SW
1978 88 Series 3 undergoing surgery with a new owner
2007 90 County Truck Cab - gone
2006 D3 SE - gone
2004 Freelander Sport - gay
1999 Disco V8 ES rotted to bits
Post #305498 6th Feb 2014 1:00am
RockJaw

United States 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Santorini Black
Update - 4 X 4 Overlander were fantastic.

Where products did not meet my expressed expectations they told me exactly what to expect and gave the appropriate advice.

Needless to say I have made arrangements for custom gear in those instances where quality was questionable and in others I have made the purchase directly from 4X4 Overlander at slightly higher prices, but happily acceptable prices nonetheless.

In the long run I've saved heaps.

The lesson learned here is this, why go elsewhere if a supplier already surpasses your expectations? To save a couple of quid?

Nuts!!! ****CENSORED****
Post #306428 9th Feb 2014 4:36am
Cuthbert

Perhaps some UK businesses could learn from our American cousins when it comes to 'customer care'. On the other hand UK consumers should learn that in the race to the bottom for the cheapest prices - something has to give - usually quality and customer service.

Personally, if I receive good service then I tend to stay with that business for the long term (even if their prices aren't the cheapest) knowing that if I do have a problem then it gets fixed with little fuss. On the other hand if someone tries to rip me off - I have a very long memory and I will spread the word about my experience.
Post #306585 9th Feb 2014 6:32pm
keith

Scotland 
I don't mind payin any price for the right quality . Wot I don't want is the idiot on the other side of the phone hanging up cos they can't be bothered fixin your problems ie: admitting that your right .
Post #306610 9th Feb 2014 7:11pm
keith

Scotland 
Even more ongoing problems from this CRAZY manic disgusting company .
DO NOT USE , STAY WELL AWAY Twisted Evil
Post #329228 8th May 2014 10:30am
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Rebel 4x4 is a tiny company based just outside Farnworth in Manchester the website looks as though it is a big concern it is not, the manager is the owner, who does most of the work himself.

To be fair he is not to bad a bloke and I have met him a few times delivering parts to Land Ranger.
Maybe you just got him on a bad day!

His products though are on the whole not that good, several people I know who have purchased side steps from him and the metal components have rusted really bad in a short time.
Post #329315 8th May 2014 3:55pm
keith

Scotland 
That's strange because the idiot who pics up the phone , who deals with the orders , who knows all the products , who is the voice of the company , who is customer service ,,,,,, is a Woman ? SHE says she's the boss and manager , and her way of service and customer care and business is to give you a load of fast mouthed abuse , tell a pack of lies and hang the phone up before you can talk .
Post #329388 8th May 2014 7:42pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
That's probably his wife, not met her at all but I have heard stories Shocked
Post #329420 8th May 2014 8:30pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12